IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

Is the end goal of gaming on these to develop Myopia?

lol I seriously can't even read a friggin Iphone Plus screen without major reading glasses.. so those tiny tiny tiny arcade cabs need a magnifying glass for me. :lol: i still dig them though. :)

Oh and hey.. Mini Arcade Alert!!! :lol:

y1Cywcm.jpg

• Like 2

For NES games, something like this "Retro FC" is a lot more palatable ... many more games, and a more ergonomic case. $25 shipped. I have one, it's fine if you like early NES games and don't need save/load/rewind etc.

I remember seeing something about those having some problems, but if it works as well as some of those old handheld famicom into the tv devices like the powerjoy that's fine. I was thinking about a bitboy handheld though so it would be best to find whichever stands out more.

I did find a game list at least for the RetroFC which isn't bad: https://funnyplaying.com/products/3-inch-168-games-retro-fc-handheld-game-console

And that Neo-Geo is what I'm after, and I welcome our myopian overlords. Seriously though, don't bother, just get a controller (neo geo cd style) and a hdmi cable and just play off a big screen TV instead.

Also has anyone tried the 2017 Family Pocket, looks pretty on the nose.

http://www.gogiftpro.com/New-FC-Pocket-Handheld-Game-Players-Built-in-638-Classic-Games-Console

Edited by Tanooki

There are 2 releases of the Family Pocket which is why I threw that out there. This one looks like a 2017 updated version and it also in some bundles or bought along side has a 2nd USB controller that goes into the charge port so people can either play 2P games hunched over or I would imagine on a TV if you use the supplied RCA cable. The thing has more bloat but the good games on there are quite impressive which is why I asked.

The Retro FC has the bittboy design with a few updates and a nicer/bigger screen which is a big plus.

I've just been thinking I'd like something like this in the car as it's a cheap toy. I'm not all about having a 1000 games, but a good solid easily hit variety is about it. It's a $20 item not $100.

Do you know if the quality of screen is as nice as the Bittboy ?

I don't ... I only have the Retro FC (couldn't get a decently priced BittBoy when they were new) but that video reviewer likes the bigger screen of the RetroFC better. I suspect they're both fine, bright, sharp enough, correct aspect ratio, worth $20.

I just ordered the Tiny Arcade Ms PacMan off Amazon for $18... definitely a good price IMO!

I did the Joystick conversion where you hold the joystick into one of the four positions and turn it on to get all four games... too cool. :)

To note: if you turn on the game without holding the joystick you get their test screen which allows you to the test the functionality of the

controls and screen... also very kewl. Since it was meant for a single game, there is only one high score saved, and that is the same

score no matter what game you are playing. It will save that score until the batteries are removed (or die)... the on/off switch does not

erase it.

I agree that 50% of the charm are the retro cabinets... so I might pick up the others as well.

I am definitely excited for the Tiny Arcade Frogger... one of my favorite arcade games of all time. I hope the other ROMs for Dig Dug

and Galaga are also on the chip and I can mod that one as well.

• Like 1

I am definitely excited for the Tiny Arcade Frogger... one of my favorite arcade games of all time. I hope the other ROMs for Dig Dug

and Galaga are also on the chip and I can mod that one as well.

Speculation at best, but I have a sneaking suspicion, there is some fourth unannounced game on the flash ROM of the Galaga/DigDug/Frogger cabinets, assuming the hardware is identical. Also I'm wondering what the audio is like on Frogger. The Genesis port is the defacto non-homebrew console arcade port, as everything that came after tampered or removed the background music due to copyright issues.

Glad to know there's a test screen if none of the dip switches are active. I was afraid to do the joystick mod because if at some point someone turned it on and it displayed a blank screen, they might assume it was busted and toss it. :sad:

So they pulled the Famicom release. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that as they'd have to for Dig Dug, so probably Galaga is as well if Namco just sent them a package of files to use in their current and future stuff. Have you seen the work online? Someone figured out where the bridge points are on the board and stuff like Mappy is hiding and even the NES/Tengen release of Rolling Thunder within the Galaga system (which also hosts Pac-Man.) Not sure what the other board has for choices that Dig-Dug is using.

• Like 1

Have you seen the work online? Someone figured out where the bridge points are on the board and stuff like Mappy is hiding and even the NES/Tengen release of Rolling Thunder within the Galaga system (which also hosts Pac-Man.)

No! I have not. What's the source for all this? Thanks.

Speculation at best, but I have a sneaking suspicion, there is some fourth unannounced game on the flash ROM of the Galaga/DigDug/Frogger cabinets, assuming the hardware is identical. Also I'm wondering what the audio is like on Frogger. The Genesis port is the defacto non-homebrew console arcade port, as everything that came after tampered or removed the background music due to copyright issues.

I was also wondering if they were going to be able to use the original Frogger tunes (which I understand are not original scores and most are Japanese anime). My guess is they will not be the arcade tunes.

• Like 1

Check your local Wallyworld. Walmart now has the My Arcades and the Tiny Arcades in my local store. Good prices to. The My Arcades that sell for around $40 on Amazon are less than $25. Among others, I saw the new Dig Dug and Galaga. And the Tiny Arcades are even cheaper, they had Pac Man for $12.88 and Ms. Pac-Man for $14.50.

I didn't get any...yet. icon_winking.gif

• Like 3

Bought another My Arcade, this time Bad Dudes and I have a problem with the screen on this one too! Not as bad as the Burgertime one (still waiting for them to send me the replacement), but annoying nonetheless. There's a blotch in the center of the screen, but I'm not sure if it's a cluster of dead pixels or damage to the LCD. Anyone else having issues with the screens on these, or is it just me? It sucks, because I like the way these look and the Bad Dudes one is actually fun to play. I was thinking about starting to collect them, but if the screens consistently have issues I may not buy any more. I really want the Galaga one though :(

post-36283-0-44127700-1527350843_thumb.jpg

post-36283-0-08478900-1527350854_thumb.jpg

Has anyone else had a problem peeling off the protective plastic from the side panels of these?. I grabbed Galaga, PacMan, Burgertime and Dig Dug from Walmart yesterday and they all seem to have the protective plastic on the sides, but I was only able to get one side of Burgertime off.

Are the Super Impulse Galaga Tiny Arcade units out yet? The website says Summer 2018.

http://superimpulse.com/our-brands/tiny-arcade-2/

I know the My Arcade Gaming are different products, but these newer units use the NES ports running on an NOAC.

https://www.myarcadegaming.com/products/galaga-micro-player

Not that either is more or less accurate, just both have their own set of issues. With the NES ones you have the issues with the NES ports compounded with the issues of inaccurate clone chips. I noticed the Tiny Arcade units seem to be original ports (running on an ARM?) but the screens are actually lower resolution than the arcade. It is less than the 320x240 screen on my ATT Cingular flip phone but more than a Game Boy, with a somewhat squarish form factor. The pellets are only 1x1 tall and the Ms Pacman sprites definitely appear to be rescaled from the original arcade, not to mention the spacing of the dots being such that there are two units between walls instead of three.

Anybody buy the My Arcade units and the tiny Arcade units? How do the joysticks feel in comparison? My Tiny Arcade sticks are functional although they feel strange manipulating such a tiny knob with my thumb. Any arcade game requiring rapid fire would be an issue with the Tiny Arcades.

Anybody buy the My Arcade units and the tiny Arcade units? How do the joysticks feel in comparison? My Tiny Arcade sticks are functional although they feel strange manipulating such a tiny knob with my thumb. Any arcade game requiring rapid fire would be an issue with the Tiny Arcades.

Picked up a My Arcade Galaga Micro Player today at Walmart. What a difference a couple inches in size makes! :o :grin:

That thumbnail is not a depth-of-field illusion. The size disparity is real...

Edit: I also later noticed a minor error in the shape of the Pacman maze in the Tiny Arcade. There is an extra row of dots added to the bottom wall fixtures near the bottom of the maze. It's certainly not a deal breaker, and the walls here were one dot thickness like the NES port rather than two dot thickness like the arcade version. Just an observation...

An update on my mini arcades. Good news: I got my replacement Burgertime in the mail today and the screen is normal! Bad news: for my Bad Dudes one they said I would have to send it in so that they could determine whether or not it's a manufacturing defect. I think it sucks that I will have to pay for shipping and wait an extended period of time when it is clear from the pictures that there is something wrong with it. Since I bought it on clearance for $15, I can't return it, and I'm not sure it's worth paying to send it back. Not cool!

I still want the Galaga one, but I heard the sound is so bad that it's a dealbreaker. Is it really that bad? I'm a little turned off on these now due to 2 out of 2 units having screen defects!

I still want the Galaga one, but I heard the sound is so bad that it's a dealbreaker. Is it really that bad?

It's not that terrible. Really it's only the shots fired that occasionally sound off in a bad way. I picked up a Galaga from Walmart last week and posted a video review above were I playtest 5 different mini arcades including the My Arcade Galaga unit. I couldn't find the Pacman one at my local Walmart so I ordered it from the website (for $10 more plus shipping), then I visited Walmart yesterday after work and they have restocked and have assloads of different units, Pacman included. The one I ordered, for more $$$, is still in transit. I should have waited, LOL! :P

= = = = = = = = = =

I have a desire to open a My Arcade unit without damage. Firstly I want to access the jumpers on the inside in order to switch games, presumably possible based upon that single Facebook post (I don't have a Facebook login so I have no way of contacting this person), and secondly the Dpad stick is too loose, making unintended diagonals easy. This can be remdied by stacking small squares of electrical tape to the pcb to raise up the dome slightly making it feel tighter. Last weekend after posting the video, I attempted to dismantle the Galaga arcade cab, first by removing the four screws in the back, then gently attempting to pry off the back with a knife blade. There is no evidence of additional screw holes hidden under the sie panel marquee, only mold release defects which show up when you hold the high gloss side panels to a light source. If there were screws tucked away underneath, they would be visible here.

On the top edge of the cab, there is a seam hidden under a small strip of black gloss decal tucked between the front and rear panels. I slid my blade under this decal to pry up the back panel but no dice. On the bottom, there appears to be a plastic seam which has been thermally sealed? The side panels flexed slightly when I wedged the blade between the back cover and the walls. I was checking for the existence of snap construction, which is generally easy to pop open without damage if you know where the anchor points are. I found no evidence of snaps. Truthfully I exhausted all ideas and have no clue how to open one of these without breakage or significant cosmetic damage. I replaced the screws but I don't see how they serve a function since the case is just as ridgid without them present.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to pry open the My arcade cases without destroying them, I'm all ears. I really want to do a dipswitch mod to access additional games, and also tighten the dpad sticks, which would be critical for playing 4-way games like Pacman, Dig Dug or Burgertime.

Thanks, any help appreciated. :)

Other thoughts, if you do figure out how to open the case and plan to perform a Dipswitch mod, be wary of how many action buttons your cab model has installed. Galaga and Dig Dug units have one button each, Pacman has none, and many of the Data East games have both A and B present. So for instance a Dip Switch mod would be futile for playing other games requiring action buttons on a Pacman arcade which has none. Select has also been removed entirely, replaced with a reset button. Typically select has little in game functionality for most early NES games, but can be utilized to access two player modes. The title screens have been modded to remove the selction for two player option in games like Pacman and Galaga, evn though there is a "2up" placeholder on the actual game screen. Food for thought, they could have left two player functionality intact for alternating 2p games, and wired the buttons for both player inputs. This would have allowed passing the arcade back and forth between friends, but instead they've disabled it entirely.

I planned on taking my Dig Dug apart this weekend so I'll let you now what I find out. I'll also check the Burgertime board out to see if it has the same solder connections.

This is a little off topic; my local Walmart has almost most of this stuff together in the electronic section except for the Bridge Direct mini's and two plug & plays (Atari 2600 and Pac-Man) which are in the board game section. They have those MSI NES single game plug & plays above the Dreamgear and Tiny Arcade machines. I noticed they had a UPC code for a MSI machine next to Mega Man 2 that was sold out and it was labeled "MSI Street Fighter", any idea what this is?