IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

Fantastic news Michael,

I don't know how you make the time for this, your job, the Pyra and your shop!

Well, actually, the adaptor has something to do with the Pyra.

It uses parts of the power circuit (Nikolaus had to look up parts for power regulation and stabilization for the Pyra).

And in the end phase of the Pyra, there were a lot of times where we just had to wait for the next PCBs to be produced... so there was time for this adaptor :D

I have been silently following the Pyra project for some time as well. I heartily recommend anyone who's not familiar with the Pyra handheld computer, to go check out the news updates in the Pyra forum. It shows a fascinating history of what it takes for a group of enthusiasts to undertake the immense challenge of creating a cutting edge hardware product without the backing of a major company. It's also a prime example of what open communication is all about and they are not shy about reporting any bad news as well. Be honest, keep people regularly informed and most people are very tolerant of setbacks and delays.

Thanks. Like the Pandora, it's a trip to hell and back ;)

Thanks. Like the Pandora, it's a trip to hell and back ;)

I almost pre-ordered the Pandora... :). I silently stalked that forum for years.

I did get burned on the iControlPad 2, however, when Craig ran off with the money!

I remember how valiantly you fought to clear your Pandora pre-order list and even try to help out the customer's that Craig deserted, even though you had no obligation to do so. People remember that kind of stuff and I'm sure it helped with the Pyra pre-orders.

I'm curious to know why you persisted in making the Pyra, was it to exorcise the demons, to prove it can be done right or plain can't help yourself because you love doing it?

The modular nature of it, the upgradeable CPU is truly something special and unique. It's how stuff should be made, by honest people, not this irrepairable glued together crap you get from Apple etc.

Edited by bobstoned

Almost done, the PCBs are already in the hands of some from the community here and so far work fine :)

I'll finish up the case and then it's time for mass production :D

What I like about the ColecoVision power supply adapter that you plan on releasing in the future, is that one can choose their own easy to find micro USB power supply. If the power supply breaks several years in the future and as long as your Colecovision USB micro power supply adapter is still functioning, one just purchases a new micro USB power supply to fix the power supply issue.

If I do end up purchasing your ColecoVision power supply adapter. Then I most likely well purchase a high quality power supply to go with it. For the United States I like the Pwr+ brand for $12.99 at Amazon. It has a 6.5 feet cord and with a stable 5 volt 3.5 amp output. It also has all the required safety and energy certifications like level VI Energy Efficiency, UL listed, and CE certification for Europe. Short Circuit Protection, Over Current Protection, Over Voltage Protection, and Over Temperature Protection. Or I would go with another high quality brand or model of power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Micro-USB-Charger-Raspberry-Pi-Adapter/dp/B00L88M8TE/ref=sr_1_47?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526965347&sr=1-47&keywords=5V+3A+MICRO+USB+POWER+SUPPLY

Well the micro USB adapter for the ColecoVision have safety certifications?

In the United States SD cards, power cables, and many other electronic devices have FCC certification, UL safety certification, and CE safety certification for Europe. It was mentioned in an earlier post that you plan on having 500 of these ColecoVision adapters made. Well this ColecoVision micro USB adapter have any of these certifications?

For example there was this one company on Amazon and EBAY that was selling a 12 volt on/off switch that was UL certified for the switch only, however since the 18 gauge power cable was not submitted for UL certification the company had to place a Disclaimer on their Amazon and EBAY listing that mentioned that the product was not UL certified since the cable had not received certification. This hurt the company’s sales. The funny thing is there was another company selling a lower quality product with an on/off switch and a 20 gauge power cable, and since that entire product including the switch and cable had passed UL certification, it was much more popular product for people to purchase.

I realize that making a USB micro Power Adapters for the ColecoVision is a niche item, however if you were able to get the adapter certified for FCC, UL, and CE it would increase sales on Amazon and EBAY. Without that certification one would need to list a disclaimer that only the USB power supply has the safety certifications and not the ColecoVision USB micro adapter itself.

With a minimum order of 500, a high quality Chinese company could design a modern 21st Century ColecoVision 100-240 volt power supply with all the safety certifications that are used around the world. This would work just like the 80’s ColecoVision power supply with the original 4 port power plug.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Well, I HAVE to do CE, as otherwise I couldn't even sell it.

About FCC and UL: I need to check what the needed requirements here are.

Sometimes, FCC only requires certain tests (which can be done at the same time as the CE testing), sometimes they require a full certification which costs around 10000 USD.

Though I think the full certification is mostly needed for anything to do with wireless transmissions (Wifi, etc.), which the adaptor doesn't.

I still plan to check that though.

• Like 1

I almost pre-ordered the Pandora... :). I silently stalked that forum for years.

I did get burned on the iControlPad 2, however, when Craig ran off with the money!

Oh, that's too bad :(

I'm curious to know why you persisted in making the Pyra, was it to exorcise the demons, to prove it can be done right or plain can't help yourself because you love doing it?

Well, for various reasons:

1. The Pandora couldn't be produced anymore (EOL-Chips) and there still was a lot of demand.

2. There was no other similar product (there are some now, like the GPD Win... but I know some customers who own both still prefer the Pandora for some reasons).

3. I have to pay back the investors at some time (around 300k EUR), so I need to make some money. A follow-up should help here, as we got a good customerbase already :)

4. The Pandora was awesome, so I didn't want to see the idea die and improve it...

5. I thought it would be a lot more easier when we just can reuse most of the case design and improve it. Who'd have thought the new case company doesn't have a clue about improving the case and modern hardware (like the OMAP5) is a lot more picky when it comes to design and layout.

The modular nature of it, the upgradeable CPU is truly something special and unique. It's how stuff should be made, by honest people, not this irrepairable glued together crap you get from Apple etc.

That's the reason I'm still thinking it will all work out.

Once we're done and have the first unit out, we can produce that and improve it. We don't have to reinvent the wheel every time.

Really check to see if UL is necessary and if it isn't absolutely required don't do it as it will drastically increase the cost.

Having gone through a UL certification recently for my day job, it is a long, drawn out, and expensive process.

For external power adapters energy efficiency level VI and FCC are required by law in the United States. However, that energy efficiency level VI is only for the adapter itself. It is my understanding that UL safety certification is an optional certification in the United States, but many products get that certification including the original 80’s ColecoVision power supply. FCC certification is required on most electronic products to verify they are not going to cause interference with pace makers and other devices. For example, the high-end SanDisk 32GB SDHC cards have FCC certification and CE Europe safety certification but they lack the United States UL safety certification but are sold in the United States in massive quantities (most likely in the millions).

Well, as far as I can tell, FCC has different requirements based on what you have.

There is the verification, which is similar to the CE: You have to test your item according to given specs in a lab and make sure it's within those limits. I hope that's what we need, as that wouldn't be an issue.

Certification is expensive (10 - 20k with everything involved), but I think you only need that for radiation devices.

One thing that's important to note:

The plug is NOT a power supply!

It is a power CONVERTER. The power SUPPLY is the USB AC Adaptor, the Colecovision Plug uses 5V input and converts it to -5V, 5V and 12V.

My original idea was to create a power supply, but that would've been hell already for CE: As soon as you're dealing with high voltage, it's a lot more complex!

That's why we've chosen to make such a plug - which is also way better to use internationally :D

I just need to figure out whether FCC verification is enough. Anyone here who is knowledgable of the FCC? Otherwise, I'll check with a certified lab here.

• Like 1

A quick update:

I just finished the case for the new PCBs.

And everyone who tested the small plugs was impressed so far, as it is working very well.

So what's left now is the CE/FCC testing and after that the mass production.

Anyone here who has a 3D printer and wants to see what the plug will look like?

Then I could post STL files here for you :D

• Like 4

So, I got to be one of the "testers" for one of these adapters. icon_biggrin.gif

The paper I got with it said I was free to talk about it, so I been meaning to post for a couple weeks.

This is pretty much what I said to evildragon about my experience:

I was able to test it out on two modified units.

First was a bare board (NO shielding) with a 5v memory conversion, cart slot replaced and using standard RF out.

Had zero problems. I was mostly worried about the adapter causing interference. Used the USB-C cable and and an OEM Samsung USB power adapter.

Second was a stock unit with just a bois chip swap and the joystick ICs replaced. That went for about 8 hours with no problems.

Used three power sources:

The set-up list above. 30 mins

A 3amp generic raspi adapter. about 6 hours

And just for shits and giggles - KMASHI 10000mAh Battery pack with 2.1amp output.

Ran for about 45 min from a full charge with no problems!

Almost forgot, the Super Game unit was plugged in the whole time.

So, the adapter looks and works great!

It got acceptably warm - not hot enough to burn a finger ( shouldn't be problem with the case on it ).

Also a nice positive I was a little worried about was the pin mating to the coleco it self.

The pin connector gave a firm engagement with very good tension. icon_thumbsup.gif

I do like having both connections on the unit too. USB-c seems to be sturdier. Plus, having two ports means if one stops working, the adapter is still usable.

Also, since I've had problems before (with cheap USB stuff), I generally won't use cheap usb adapters any more. I would recommend for people to use the usb-c cable and a usb power adapter that came with a quality phone. The Samsung and and apple have some of the best power regulation out there. I've seen to many you tube tear downs(check out BIG Clive) of cheap Chinese crap to not want to take chances any more.

Pic Of My Coleco Powered by A KMASHI K-MP816 that 5v/2.1A Max. Battery Pack

post-47811-0-30044100-1527751135_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm just now finding out about this USB power adapter for the ColecoVision. This is AMAZING! I have a ColecoVision where the graphics would display in pastel colors or a bit scrambled when turned on. I did the toggle switch mod and it started working much better. I hadn't used it for a while and now when I turn it on it's back to the pastel colors. I thought maybe something is going bad on the motherboard but now that I've read through this forum post, it may very well be the power supply. I'll eventually send the console in to have it modded with the F18 chip but with this news I'm in for 2 when the item is back in stock.

Edited by malarrya

Maybe consider a ten pack discount? icon_mrgreen.gif

Really, I'm probably going to get 5-10 of these. I have one perfect original PS and one slowly dying(it vibrates icon_tears.gif ), for five + units.

$70 for a org. power supply is half the price of a working coleco.

Heck, having a affordable PS might drop/ slow the price of colecos.

• Like 1