IGNORED

Doodle Jump INTV

There's Arnauld Chevallier's front end included with a version of jzintv at intvdave's site here. It's straightforward - but that install has a pretty old version of jzintv IIRC.

Another option is the LTO Flash! User Interface from here. You don't need LTO Flash! hardware at all. (In fact, that app started as a jzintv front end.) The beta version also on that page a few newer features. Both have a pretty recent version of jzintv built in.

Both of those front ends let you configure a lot of the settings for jzintv, and let you keep track of your ROMs. Obviously the LTO Flash! UI has other things to do as well. The goal for both of these is to do just a little bit of setup at the beginning (point to your EXEC.bin, GROM.bin and ECS.bin files) and then just go and play games!

Thank you so much for the suggestion of the LTO Flash! software, I actually own an LTO cart but didn't realize their software also had an emulator front end built into it! WAAAAY better install and interface!!

I can see what you mean by the fonts being a little different. The new build doesn't seem as easy to make his head pop up from below but still possible. Here's a new video using the dj12.rom and you can see it happen at 17 seconds in:

Another option is the LTO Flash! User Interface from here. You don't need LTO Flash! hardware at all. (In fact, that app started as a jzintv front end.) The beta version also on that page a few newer features. Both have a pretty recent version of jzintv built in.

Much better! No more heads popping out the bottom. I think you've got a solid beginning, now it's time to add some danger and challenge into it! Here's my run to 12000 before I offed myself into the void.

Once I get my Intellivision modded to RGB I'll definitely be featuring some INTV homebrew on my show ZeroPage homebrew, which has been Atari 2600 so far (links below). Unfortunately Fred Kono is sold out of his RGB kits so it will have to wait a bit longer.

PS: I'm not sure if you were thinking of changing the jump noise but by the end of my game it felt like a laser was blasting through my skull. Maybe something that lasts a bit shorter and goes up in pitch instead of down to indicating the upward jumping motion?

Bug fix, perhaps.

Thank you so much for the suggestion of the LTO Flash! software, I actually own an LTO cart but didn't realize their software also had an emulator front end built into it! WAAAAY better install and interface!!

You're welcome... And thanks! (I happen to be the author of that software.)

• Like 1

Since my bird looks like a rabbit, can someone design me a bird to replace it with?

Your bunny looks like a bird now.

:grin: (just kidding)

Here's some feedback:

• Perhaps the platform should randomly appear only on the top row and disappear only on the bottom row. As it stands, the screen seems to change configuration randomly as I jump in place. Platforms also disappear as I move around, making me fall; and I cannot plan my jumps since I do not know what's going to pop up once I am in the air.
  • The jumping arc should be more smooth (as it used to be before). Right now, when jumping low, it stops for a few frames at its zenith.
  • When I bounce on a platform, the Up Monster goes way too high, off the screen. Perhaps the jump arc should be constrained, or the Up Monster should me maintained at a lower screen position.
  • Sometimes platforms are randomly placed in "clusters," one on top of the other. You may want to add some checks to avoid this.

That's it for now. It seems like an interesting game, which has the potential of being an addictive time-sink like Doodle Jump. To me the biggest frustration right now is the random relocation of platforms within the visual screen area, which prevents me from planning my moves. I'm not saying that random placement is bad in any way; just that you should randomly place your platforms "off-screen" and retain until they are scrolled out of view -- the visual screen area should be predictable in order to give the player a fair chance at surviving.

Keep up the good work! By the way, are you going to submit this one for the IntyBASIC contest? I think it could be a good entry. :)

-dZ.

I worked on the points DZ-Jay told me about and here is my version 15.

As for the INTYBasic contest, I don't think I could finish it in time.

I'll take a look. The contest ends at the end of this month, so you still have three weeks. Even if you do not finish it, if you just work on the most important parts to polish it a bit, it should be fine. :)

-dZ.