IGNORED

SIO Wifi modem with esp8266

mozzwald

Yes, I got mine from Amazon. Ordered 5 pcs last year.

Appart from my (our) hobby, I use it with Easy-ESP

for Home Automation. But be careful! 3.3V only!!!

Stefan

That's where something like this comes into play...

post-42561-0-80360500-1530294074.jpg

SN74AHCT125N

Quad Level-Shifter (3V to 5V)

Buy from TI $0.33 each

Buy from Digikey $0.40 each

Buy from Mouser $0.41 each

When powered from 5V: Will level shift from 3.3 up to 5V

When powered from 3.3V: Will level shift from 5V down to 3.3V

SMD versions are also available.

• Like 3

Yep, 3.3V only, that's why you still need the "Adatper". It would be great to find someone to sell the combo (or maybe I or other member of AA could be that seller...?!?!)

Please refer to my previous post (just before yours).

Since Stefan is to building his own board anyway. I figured using a level translation chip might make a bit more sense, thereby allowing the esp8266 module to directly plug into his board instead creating a 3-level affair (Main Board, Level Shifter Board, esp8266 Module). Just a thought :) .

• Like 3

Were you able to connect to the outside world? A BBS or other internal device on your router network?

Yes I was able.

Look at the clips below.

The SIO2SD is daisychained behind the "WiFi-Thing".

Nevertheless I was able to copy files from the SIO2Sd

to the MyIDE2...

http://www.datentraegerkonvertierung.de/Gast/copy.mp4

And with the SIO2SD still connected, log into a BBS...

http://www.datentraegerkonvertierung.de/Gast/bbs.mp4

Stefan

• Like 1

Please refer to my previous post (just before yours).

Since Stefan is to building his own board anyway. I figured using a level translation chip might make a bit more sense, thereby allowing the esp8266 module to directly plug into his board instead creating a 3-level affair (Main Board, Level Shifter Board, esp8266 Module). Just a thought :) .

I did it exactly the way you described it. However, I used different level shifter.

I do NOT claim, it would not work with yours, but I would recommend level shifter

>> explicitly described as "I2C-compatible" <<

A couple of month ago, I had trouble with an Arduino-Project.

I had trouble gettin it to work - and it turned out the problem was the level shifter.

sparkfun-logic-level-converter-bi-direct

I used the shifters above.

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both
  • Like 1

Yes I was able.

Look at the clips below.

to the MyIDE2...

Stefan

"WiFi-Thing"!

I like it!

Yes I was able.

Look at the clips below.

to the MyIDE2...

Stefan

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi,

I am also interested in taking this further. I have a Fritzing file for a simple Adafruit two board design, with a poor mans SIO connection. I am levering the 6V 600ma regulator, for the level-shifter.

The only parts needed besides the PCB are:

1 Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266 variant variant 2; part # Adafruit #2471 1 Adafruit 4-channel I2C-safe Bi-directional Logic Level Converter variant variant 1; part # Adafruit #757

The PCB is also easy to source, via the Fritzing tool. I tried uploading the encapsulating ".fzz" file, but it was not accepted. ("Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file")

I have attached a snapshot.

I haven't submitted a PCB build a yet, since I am still reviewing my connections.

As for the SIO2WIFI:

I would like to implement a true D:,R: wifi converter. It would support ftp,telnet,http, and a special disk access mode.

For the disk access, I was thinking of an ftp access to a file server(Filezilla), the esp8266 would parse a remote ftp directory, and create a virtual sector structure for all the files.

Any new files added by the PC(to ftp server) after the ESP8266 ftp connection started, would require a new ftp connection restart. However, the ESP8266 should be able

to read and write just fine to the local ftp server.

For the time being I would like to first investigate, first getting R:, SIO request working. Where can I get information on the 850 processing for a UART device?

I want the connection to look like there is an 850 attached.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

post-17010-0-63533500-1531116609_thumb.png

It would be wonderful, if you're able to

program the esp8266, so it acts like a

( :-) I could still use my construction

flashing the new firmware, wiring some

more cables )

I'm sorry I can't assist. I'm able to

implement a OLed, but some sort of 850

firmware is a bigger thing.

Stefan

if somebody could get me a working breadboard or proto board with the 8266 and SIO hooked up and electrically working, I'll do the 850 firmware.

I have, courtesy of Curt Vendel, the source code to the 850 firmware, which I can use as a description of behavior.

-Thom

Yes, that is my goal. The ultimate all in one SIO peripheral.

Fritzing is a free layout tool that is commonly used with Arduino. I uploaded and shared the project, so that anyone can fabricate it. Here is the link.

http://fritzing.org/projects/sio2wifi

There are pin header holes in case someone wants to use it with a cable, the modules that go attached can be purchased from Adafruit.

I am about to submit my request for a PCB, here is the schematic. I am just triple checking it for mistakes. I made paper dolls, and it fits/aligns well in the socket.

I gave it some slack, however, I am debating about making it fit snug, and sandpaper if it goes over.

post-17010-0-08847900-1531165119_thumb.png

Do you know how I can get access to the 850 code?

Thanks,

Ed

• Like 1

If the uP (for example the esp8266) has enough memory, you can even embed the bobterm or icet there. So it does the 850 first, and then optionally, it emulates D1: and boots let's say icet and then you are ready to go!!!

Yes.I was thinking of having a simple bootloader, that displays "Press 2 to change system settings..", which leads to the system settings menu, which would allow you to set values that would be written to the ESP8266 eprom. These values would be the wifi router name and login, and ftp settings to the PC/Filezilla location for the drives (D1-D8). If all had been set correctly, then instead of pressing 2 (..like PC access to BIOS ), it would try to boot the drives located on the ftp server. So, a small intermediate bootloader, but any other bootloader could be added as well.

Of course, the esp would also capture any R:,P: request. The P: request could go to a lan printer as well (also configured in the same menu described above)

I ordered the PCB boards, it came out to $13 for 3 PCBs.. cant wait for them to come. A long but fun road ahead. I will create a git repo site, for my work.

Thanks,

Ed

• Like 1

All,

Your experience is needed. I am looking for an Atari terminal program that supports VT100?

I have been trying to scope out my plan of attack, and I reviewed the SIO2SD code, which seems simple to reuse, and for the printer interface I plan to use lan port 9100, which is the standard port for the "RAW" print protocol. With time I would like to support all of the STAR SG-10 capabilities, first I will just support straight print with no escape codes.

However, for the custom boot-loader, I thought a VT100 access to the ESP8266 would be best, and use the corresponding ESPTerm module for the server side.

So when an Atari first boots, it will display "Press 2 for terminal access..", if nothing is pressed then the Atari will normal boot from a drive (with current eprom parameters, router name/pass, ftp IP settings, drive folder/atr selection, printer IP settings..).

If a user enters a terminal access mode by pressing 2, then the ESP8266 will be located on R4: with VT100 support, where a user can change all of the needed ESP parameters, to be uploaded to its eprom.

When a user enters terminal mode, they can either access normal terminal mode with R1: (AT commands for telent address), or with R4: they can access the ESP8266 VT100 terminal. However, R4:, would be dedicated for the ESP8266.

So any thoughts, as to which terminal program to use (one that supports VT100) would be great, and its image if you have it.

Thanks,

Ed

(ps. here is the paper doll, and what it will look like)

post-17010-0-46298200-1531268158_thumb.jpg

Thanks Venkman!! :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217539-ice-t-xe-276-released/

ICET it is.

-Ed

Somewhere, buried on these forums somewhere, is a 2.80A version that was never actually release per se. The author posted it asking for feedback. Anyway, that's the version I generally use but of course "use" these days means going to the Weather Underground Telnet site just for kicks, or rarely checking into the message boards of a retro-BBS via my P:R:Connection and a Lantronix ethernet gateway. I've never actually used it to download files or anything.

• Like 1