IGNORED

Cyb Ur WIP

SIO2

A version of the Royal Game of Ur played by Vorticon rules. Currently requires a 7800 proline or compatible two button controller. Start is the right button. The left button selects the piece you wish to move. Move the stick left to move the pointer box counter clockwise, and right to move the pointer box clockwise. Press the left button to select the piece you want to move the rolled number of spaces. Object is to get all your pieces around the board before your opponent. The cells with 4 dots in corners are rosettes. Landing on a rosette grants player another turn. If your opponent occupies the 8th cell (center rosette) you can not capture it there. Otherwise you may capture opponent pieces in the center lane by landing on them with the exact number roll. The number of pieces on a cell is indicated by the digit contained in the cell. An exact roll is required to move pieces home. If you have no move the computer will tell you. Good luck.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as I do.

cybur0712.a78

cybur0712.bin

• Like 4

Are you giving us the finger?? :P

I didn't intend it that way. I meant it to be scratching his head in thought. After I looked at how it came out though, it made me laugh because that is how I feel sometimes when the computer beats me. I may actually make the final label a bird finger.

Edited by SIO2

Sorry to quote myself but I thought I would expand. The rules are as described in the video at post #24 in the thread linked. The AI is based on the AI created by Vorticon for the Sharp PC. I like Vorticon's rules and carried them forward. Vorticon later did a TI 99 version of the game and used instead the British Museum rules. I suspect that may have had to do with the challenge of trying to graphically represent stacked pieces or perhaps the British Museum rules are more common as they promote the game and have at times sold physical game board sets. British Museum rules do not allow for stacking. I opted to use the digits (numbers) to show how many pieces are stacked on a board space.

I also did a PC version with Vorticon rules and that is in the linked thread or perhaps in the thread started after that thread was locked. There was some drama surrounding the OP.

Edited by SIO2

Hi Brek

would a 2 Player mode be possible?

greetings Walter

Glad you mentioned that. I will take a look at it. Might be as simple as duplicating the human player and subbing it for the computer player. I will have to see what I can do there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

cybur0802.bin

The .bin is a two player only version of Cybur. Now you can Cybur with a friend Walter. :D

As for making the board bigger, etc. Cybur is not going to get any radical changes from the ancient format. This game is based on a game over 4000 years old that many believe is possibly the father of backgammon. So, my intent is to stick close to the original format as we understand it anyhow.

Enjoy.

Hi Brek

2 Player Version works very well....great work.

greetings Walter

Well thanks but, I was reviewing the code today and discovered an error in the way it displays the victor. I believe the two player version always declared P1 the victor even though it did place the display on the proper side of the board so it might go un-noticed if a person wasn't looking for it. Anyhow, I have fixed that and the cart version will play in one or two player mode (user choice) and displays correct victory for whoever wins P1, P2 or CybUr.

Edited by SIO2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So, finally got back to this little project. It runs on my red console now. It plays one player mode or two player mode - you select by moving the joystick right or left at the title screen.

I am not planning to change the game any further unless some huge glitch turns up. So, I guess we can call the attached files RC1 (release candidate 1).

CyburRC1.a78

CyburRC1.bin

Edited by SIO2