IGNORED

Risky Rick in Dangerous Traps (June 25th)

Mine arrived a few days ago and in good condition.

I still have it in its plastic wrap not sure if I should open it.

I have a modded Yurkievision system. It has the bios skip,a modded power switch,and has been rebuilt for composite and RGB.

Don't think it has any type of ram upgrade though. Has anyone with a Yurkievision tried the game out?

Does it work? I have software that would rip the rom from the cart but have no Coleco Atari Max cart to test the actual rom out after rippig it. I guess I'll just wait and play it by ear in the mean time. See how it goes for others. On the weekend I'll open the game and try it out.

Mine arrived a few days ago and in good condition.

I still have it in its plastic wrap not sure if I should open it.

I have a modded Yurkievision system. It has the bios skip,a modded power switch,and has been rebuilt for composite and RGB.

Don't think it has any type of ram upgrade though. Has anyone with a Yurkievision tried the game out?

Does it work? I have software that would rip the rom from the cart but have no Coleco Atari Max cart to test the actual rom out after rippig it. I guess I'll just wait and play it by ear in the mean time. See how it goes for others. On the weekend I'll open the game and try it out.

If you have the same packaging i have received , You can open the plastic wrap without any damage and you can close it back. It is very practical what they did.

I don't get why you want rip it and play it from AtariMax , instead of playing from the Cartridge directly?

I don't get why you want rip it and play it from AtariMax , instead of playing from the Cartridge directly?

A lot of people do that. They prefer not putting any wear on the original cart, so they get the cart dumped and play the game on their AtariMax cart instead.

A lot of people do that. They prefer not putting any wear on the original cart, so they get the cart dumped and play the game on their AtariMax cart instead.

ah ok, I understand. Personally i use AtariMax only for testing my development and playing with games i don't have the physical cartridge. I love changing the cart!!! It is part of the nostalgia! :)

We have already shipped all the games and close to be sold out for the second run. So, peoples wanting to know if the system is compatible just have to use the game cartridge.

We apologize that some peoples can't play properly on modded systems. As said, this topic is not for support and if nobody contact us by mail, we can't do anything.

Well I did email you about it when I first discovered it before I found out others where apparently having the same issue. The response about it only being warranted to work on stock unmodded CV units was the answer I got back and you stated pretty clearly that the issue isn't the game it is our systems at fault. So I didn't see a need to reply back further on that.

I do have a system it works with although as I stated last night I did encounter that same bug not letting me pass through to the right to the next screen on the totally stock unit on the screen before the screen the rest of us have the issues. But I was able to kill myself with TNT and then it started that section over and it did work the second time. But that same trick doesn't work on the last screen of the level. I've also tried going backwards to the previous screen and forward again but can never get that last screen to advance on my properly working CV.

someone test this game with the f18a??? i still have 2 stock sytem but when you have a f18a its hard to go back to the rf...

Really need people who own this to test it on a number of different CV units with different mods to see if any one mod triggers this over another. Especially the f18a mod since that completely replaces the video subsystem. My guess is that it would trigger the same results. But until someone gives it a shot...

I did check and both of my CVs have the same checksum of D483 for the BIOS according to the Diagnostic. So there isn't a difference there.

For me it is looking more and more like the +5 RAM upgrade is the main culprit here.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Really need people who own this to test it on a number of different CV units with different mods to see if any one mod triggers this over another. Especially the f18a mod since that completely replaces the video subsystem. My guess is that it would trigger the same results. But until someone gives it a shot...

I did check and both of my CVs have the same checksum of D483 for the BIOS according to the Diagnostic. So there isn't a difference there.

For me it is looking more and more like the +5 RAM upgrade is the main culprit here.

im still waiting my cart i played the demo version with my f18a and had the bug you told in the screen before the last screen where i could not pass than i kill the guy and after i pass to the last screen... only happen once. since the demo stop to the screen where the problem occure i cant know if it will pass... f18a is the only mod i did on this system... will see..

im still waiting my cart i played the demo version with my f18a and had the bug you told in the screen before the last screen where i could not pass than i kill the guy and after i pass to the last screen... only happen once. since the demo stop to the screen where the problem occure i cant know if it will pass... f18a is the only mod i did on this system... will see..

It will be interesting to see the results. Because if the f18a modded systems are able to get through there just fine, then it likely rules out the +5 RAM mod since the entire video memory subsystem is bypassed with the f18a. Just because of that alone the game should fail in the same exact manner or similar. Again, it really acts like there is some sort of check being done and if things aren't what it expects, then it goes into demo play mode. Only way to know that is if there was an indication of it being in demo mode while you played the game. Like having the score just say DEMO or something instead of an actual score. That way it would be obvious if that is what is happening. But the fact that for those of us with some mods on our systems, the game appears to stop in the exact same place would lead evidence of it going into demo mode, especially if the actual demo version of the game stops in this exact same spot as well.

It will be interesting to see the results. Because if the f18a modded systems are able to get through there just fine, then it likely rules out the +5 RAM mod since the entire video memory subsystem is bypassed with the f18a. Just because of that alone the game should fail in the same exact manner or similar. Again, it really acts like there is some sort of check being done and if things aren't what it expects, then it goes into demo play mode. Only way to know that is if there was an indication of it being in demo mode while you played the game. Like having the score just say DEMO or something instead of an actual score. That way it would be obvious if that is what is happening. But the fact that for those of us with some mods on our systems, the game appears to stop in the exact same place would lead evidence of it going into demo mode, especially if the actual demo version of the game stops in this exact same spot as well.

I would just like to point out that the ColecoVision underwent several board revisions during its commercial run. To have a game with "unusually tight" programming react badly to a specific ColecoVision board revision is not outside the realm of possibility.

I would just like to point out that the ColecoVision underwent several board revisions during its commercial run. To have a game with "unusually tight" programming react badly to a specific ColecoVision board revision is not outside the realm of possibility.

Please, do you know where to find the list of all the ColecoVision mainboard revisions?

If peoples own unmodified stock ColecoVision, never opened, no problem with the power supply and got the issues with Risky Rick, we apologise.

We have done many tests and will continue. But we will understand that you don't got what you expect and will be kind to refund the game in this case only.

Many peoples are happy with the games, some aready done review of sent high scores for the contest. So, it is not limited to the first level as you can see.

We love the ColecoVision and don't want to have a bad feeling because the developpers have tried to push the system at it best for the players.

Please contact ArcadeVision from arcadevision.net for more informations.

Kind regards,

ArcadeVision.

Edited by ArcadeVision

Yes and that is of course another possibility. Proof of that might be if a modded CV is able to play the game without issue or ideally one that has just the +5 RAM upgrade that works correctly. We find that, then we find out if that one is using a different board revision from what I'm working with here. I could crack both of mine open when I'm able and check them.

But yes, the thought did occur to me that we could be dealing with an incompatibility between revisions.

Yes and that is of course another possibility. Proof of that might be if a modded CV is able to play the game without issue or ideally one that has just the +5 RAM upgrade that works correctly. We find that, then we find out if that one is using a different board revision from what I'm working with here. I could crack both of mine open when I'm able and check them.

But yes, the thought did occur to me that we could be dealing with an incompatibility between revisions.

I'd be curious how theses revisions differences could impact Coleco behaviour, RR code use only manufacturer documented features and we can say Coleco is a simple (but powerfull for its time) machine, the most problematic issue seems to be VRAM timing and VRAM delays have been increased over theorical specifications to avoid problems.About mods, this is another problem as mods should respect behaviour of the original hardware, simply because it's not possible to code something without knowing unexpected effects of an additional/modified hardware.

Btw, despite the attention given to the final product, minor bugs can happen, i would be sad and apologize to learn that.

i got to the problematic screen tonight. i think i got to it before but died (hit by the block)

anyway, i was unable to get past it. i even watched a walk-through of rick dangerous for amiga which i was able to see what i was suppose to be doing and from what i could see i was doing exactly the same

i have an ntsc main board with the ntsc version of the game with an F18A, as i thought best compatability

i do have a pal coleco and a French RGB coleco i could possibly try but that would be a bit iffy as i don't actually have a descent rgb scart cable. the mean reason i didn't stick with that was there was some lining on the screen its almost like ghosting so i am not sure what the cause of that is.

i do know someone with a unmodified french RGB coleco that i would get it tested on if that helps any kind of fault finding?

I have had similar luck and failure. I forgot I had a 2nd ColecoVision to try it on.

The original cart works on both my f18a ADAM and my Yurkie A/V modded ColecoVision.

The rom on the AtariMax doesn't go past that one screen on either machine or in any emulator I've tried on my PC.

So.... my actual cart plays fine on my F18a system. If I try changing out the cart for the atarimax it stops at the location. Same hardware and controller, the only thing changed was the cartridge for the atarimax. DRM maybe?

Edited by jblenkle

are the 5v ram chips the same speed as the originals? could someone write a test program to check ram speed?

No..they aren't the same speed. It is pretty much impossible to get a hold of 300ms ram in these day and times that are compatible. So Console5 uses 150ms and 120ms speed ram. So the +5 RAM is faster than the original ram, but it really shouldn't matter because the ram is only going to process the data as fast as the VDP provides it.

Having said that, I was able to confirm that my CVs where one works and the other does not are two different revisions.

The one that does NOT work I believe is a newer revision of the system and is rev: 75743 REV H2 as can be shown in the pic I took while I had it open tonight: This one has Yurkie's composite mod board and the +5 RAM upgrade in it and that's it.

post-6-0-09326300-1531876941_thumb.jpg

This one does work and I believe is an older revision of : 75743 REV F1 as you can sorta see in the picture here. This one does not have any mods of any kinds and is 100% stock.

post-6-0-87976000-1531876950_thumb.jpg

So it would seem that the +5 RAM and the different revisions are the only things different between the two. Interesting to see f18a modded units working since that removes the VRAM completely from the picture. So...I honestly am not sure but the fact that dumps of the carts refuse to work from a flash cart or in emulation do seem to point to some sort of DRM and at least my newer rev with the +5 RAM is triggering that.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1