IGNORED

Colossal Cave Adventure for Indus GT CP/M

rcgldr

Attached double density ATR file includes ADVENT.COM, which can be read onto a CP/M disk using ICDS copy function. This is the 350 point version, similar or the same one I saw on Radio Shack TRS-80 CP/M systems. The save feature asks for a tape, then messes up, so don't use it. I don't recall how to get it to save to a file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

advent.atr

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 4

Definitely cool. I've recently been getting back into text adventures, Infocom and Synapse E novels, and since I recently aquired a CA-2001 with CP/M, I can now go back to the earliest text adventure(s)! I still have to learn the CP/M environment though, just got the drive a month ago, and it's European version, so I'm still needing a U.S. PSU for it. I'll be making my own from core(s).

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I have Zork I, II, III for CP/M. Honestly, I only checked to see if they would load, I have not played them.

The only advantage I see there (over the Atari versions) might be 80 columns, but IIRC, Atari CP/M devices still use Atari's 40 column mode don't they? While I was reading up on my Omniview 80 OS instructions it mentioned using it for 80 column CP/M with an ATR8000...so I've been expecting to use Omniview 80 OS with my CA-2001's CP/M mode, so I could still have 80 columns. Although I haven't tried yet, maybe the Atari Infocom text adventures would work with the Omniview 80 OS too? Or does the ATR8000 and Indus, etc. CP/M devices have 80 column text mode built in? In which case I'm not sure what the Omniview 80 OS manual was suggesting using it with ATR8000 CP/M...?

Edited by Gunstar

The only advantage I see there might be 80 columns, but IIRC, Atari CP/M devices still use Atari's 40 column mode don't they? While I was reading up on my Omniview 80 OS instructions it mentioned using it for 80 column CP/M with an ATR8000...so I've been expecting to use Omniview 80 OS with my CA-2001's CP/M mode, so I could still have 80 columns. Although I haven't tried yet, maybe the Atari Infocom text adventures would work with the Omniview 80 OS too? Or does the ATR8000 and Indus, etc. CP/M devices have 80 column text mode built in? In which case I'm not sure what the Omniview 80 OS manual was suggesting using it with ATR8000 CP/M...?

The CP/M monitor (terminal software) used with the Indug drive (both original, and the newly written "Trub Terminal" for SDX) supports 80 column. I hacked the original terminal to change it to usable colours, Trub Terminal did not need this. Also, Trub Terminal is VBXE compatible.

• Like 3

The CP/M monitor (terminal software) used with the Indug drive (both original, and the newly written "Trub Terminal" for SDX) supports 80 column. I hacked the original terminal to change it to usable colours, Trub Terminal did not need this. Also, Trub Terminal is VBXE compatible.

Well if Indus supports it, then my CA-2001 supports it, as it's a clone. I would venture a guess that it's true of the ATR8000 too, so it makes me wonder why the Omniview people would mention 80-column CP/M compatibility then...maybe just marketing...I'll double check on that.

Since that is the case, I guess I'll get and play the CP/M versions too, since I've never done the Zork Trilogy yet. Wishbringer and Hitch Hiker's were the only two I owned back in the day, then I moved on to graphic text adventures like The Pawn and Guild of Thieves. So I've been revisiting the Infocom titles. Currently I'm playing Infidel. First, though, I'm going to try out Infidel in Omniview 80 and see if it will run...and eventually I guess I'll be using Trub Terminal since I use one of the latest SDX's. I'm still on the fence about the VBXE, but every new release that's compatible with it leans me to it's side. Good to know. Rapidus is a definite, since it works with lots of legacy software, especially interesting to me are the old vector simulations...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2