IGNORED

Doodle Jump INTV

If there's going to be different levels, then there has to be more than just one Upmonster wanting to get on their UFO...

attachicon.gifshot0021.gif

I just played quickly this version and here's my quick-n-dirty feedback:

• It is not clear that I must press something to start the game. Personally, I would just put something like "Get Ready..." and wait three seconds or so before starting. The player will get conditioned to the timing. Alternatively, instead of "Level 01," you can say "Press X When Ready," but it gets too verbose then.
  • After a few jumps, it froze with a "Level 02" message. That seemed kind of weird, especially when I had only been playing for a just few seconds. Perhaps you were testing something? If indeed you are going to introduce multiple levels, then I suggest coming up with some visual indication that provides progress and completion information to the player (like number of clouds to jump, or meters to climb, or bananas to pick up, etc.)
  • It seems a bit harsh to kill the player and show "Game Over" after just one fall. It's OK if that's how you really want it, but why not offer the player a couple of tries before killing him so wantonly? ;)

That's it for now. I'll play a bit more later.

-dZ.

OK, I'll add lives. The level size I can change easily. I just had it low so I could test it. And I'll change it to automatically starting after a few seconds.

I figured, it was just too fast. :lol:

I added in the Upmonster getting beamed up by a beam of light at the end of each level. I don't want to share the ROM yet though because I'm still working on it.

Sounds good! I can't wait to see it. Also, remember that you have a couple of columns on the left side to play with in an "end-game" sequence.

-dZ.

OK, I'm done with this current version.

I had a huge problem because the score started on 65500 even though I put in "if #score>65500 then #score=65500" But I don't think anyone will reach 65500 because I put in 50 levels. After level 50 the game is supposed to end and show the ending which I haven't programmed in yet. I just want an ending in case someone is good enough to beat 50 levels of my game. But I doubt anyone will, so it won't be a very exciting ending, but an ending nonetheless. But that's a ways off.

I put in a lot of stuff, so I don't remember all I did. I did make it so the upmonsters color changes every level. There are 5 colors the upmonster can be total. So I guess 10 of each color need to get on that spaceship up there.

So I'll quit for now and await your feedback.

dj26.rom

I had a huge problem because the score started on 65500 even though I put in "if #score>65500 then #score=65500" But I don't think anyone will reach 65500 because I put in 50 levels. After level 50 the game is supposed to end and show the ending which I haven't programmed in yet. I just want an ending in case someone is good enough to beat 50 levels of my game. But I doubt anyone will, so it won't be a very exciting ending, but an ending nonetheless. But that's a ways off.

I put in a lot of stuff, so I don't remember all I did. I did make it so the upmonsters color changes every level. There are 5 colors the upmonster can be total. So I guess 10 of each color need to get on that spaceship up there.

I haven't played it, so this is not feedback on the game, but on your comment:

• Levels are just one possible game mechanic to track progress. Not every game needs levels, and there are other things you could do. Just make sure you make the game the way you want it. You don't have to implement everything we mention.
  • If you someone does indeed play the game for 50 levels and makes it to the end, there better be a good ending! :P

I just played it. I have one immediate feedback: :o :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

OK, on to the real feedback:

• The jumping feels very natural and the sound effect, although not the best, is much fine.
  • I like the jingle at the start of a level, it lets me get ready for the action.
  • I like the idea of the UFO beam, but the implementation is a bit strange. I think it needs some work:
    • It was too abrupt: one moment I my UpMonster is happily bouncing on clouds, the next moment a yellow thing appeared on the screen. For a split second it felt like a glitch.
    • I only knew it was a UFO beam because you had mentioned it.
    • I think it's mostly a pacing thing -- that is, it all happened too quickly and abrupt for my mind to process.
    • Maybe there should be a way for the player to know that something is going to happen, like landing on a cloud, freeze-frame for a second or two, then the beam appears. I don't know.
    • Another beam idea is to first make it a thin yellow line that expands to get wider, like in sci-fi movies.
    • All that said, don't just make a change just because I said so -- make sure it is what you want it to be. The beam itself, the moving up, and the sound effect are actually really good.
  • The game seems easy, but it is quite challenging. I made it to level 2 only twice, and then the bird-o'-dactyl kept killing me every single time. :(
  • Think of cool ways to add or change the challenge: just bouncing forever may get boring. A few ideas:
    • Change of scenery
    • Different enemies with different behaviors or flight patterns
    • Falling debris
    • Disappearing or moving clouds
    • etc.
    • Again, only do what you think fits within your vision, not what we say.

Great stuff! :thumbsup:

Behold! My high score:

post-27318-0-60283100-1531991135.gif

P.S. I went outside to drink my morning coffee on the deck this morning because of the nice weather (the sun hasn't come up yet), and there is a bird chirping in exactly the same way as your bird-o'-dactyl!!! :o

I hope I don't get abducted by UFOs!

-dZ.

• Like 1

I just played it. I have one immediate feedback: :o :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

OK, on to the real feedback:

• The jumping feels very natural and the sound effect, although not the best, is much fine.
  • I like the jingle at the start of a level, it lets me get ready for the action.
  • I like the idea of the UFO beam, but the implementation is a bit strange. I think it needs some work:
    • It was too abrupt: one moment I my UpMonster is happily bouncing on clouds, the next moment a yellow thing appeared on the screen. For a split second it felt like a glitch.
    • I only knew it was a UFO beam because you had mentioned it.
    • I think it's mostly a pacing thing -- that is, it all happened too quickly and abrupt for my mind to process.
    • Maybe there should be a way for the player to know that something is going to happen, like landing on a cloud, freeze-frame for a second or two, then the beam appears. I don't know.
    • Another beam idea is to first make it a thin yellow line that expands to get wider, like in sci-fi movies.
    • All that said, don't just make a change just because I said so -- make sure it is what you want it to be. The beam itself, the moving up, and the sound effect are actually really good.
  • The game seems easy, but it is quite challenging. I made it to level 2 only twice, and then the bird-o'-dactyl kept killing me every single time. :(
  • Think of cool ways to add or change the challenge: just bouncing forever may get boring. A few ideas:
    • Change of scenery
    • Different enemies with different behaviors or flight patterns
    • Falling debris
    • Disappearing or moving clouds
    • etc.
    • Again, only do what you think fits within your vision, not what we say.

Great stuff! :thumbsup:

Behold! My high score:

attachicon.gifshot0003.gif

Further update:

• I think the first time it just took me by surprise and it went by too fast, but the more I play it now, the more I like the beam.
  • I still think there should be something right before it that indicates that I've reached the end of the level, that way I can actually enjoy the beam-up sequence when it triggers. Idunno.

-dZ.

How about if an eerie "UFO-type sound effect" plays for 5 or 10 seconds before the beam up of the UPMONSTER?

-Tim

Further update:

• I think the first time it just took me by surprise and it went by too fast, but the more I play it now, the more I like the beam.
  • I still think there should be something right before it that indicates that I've reached the end of the level, that way I can actually enjoy the beam-up sequence when it triggers. Idunno.

-dZ.

Think outside the limits of 65500 for a single #variable

Rem Game initialize
#ScoreThousands=0
#ScoreTensOfThousands=0

Rem inside Game loop or in its own Procedure
#ScoreThousands=#ScoreThousands+1: Rem or whatever it is
If #ScoreThousands > 10000 then #ScoreThousands=#ScoreThousands-10000:#ScoreTensofThousands=#ScoreTensofThousands+1:Print <.4>#ScoreTensofThousands,<4>#ScoreThousands

Now you can have an 8 digit score.

Putting an ending in just because someone might get there is not a good reason. Your job as a designer should be to make the player want to to get to the end (if there is one,) not put one there in case the player is too good.

Put a bonus round in every 5 or 10 levels where you pick up falling pieces of a radio, or Alien language letters that will eventually spell the equivalent of "Phone Home"

• Like 2

Made the alien beam up a little better.

LOL! Good idea, but needs work. I would recommend making it a tad faster than that, even the sound effect oscillation. I also liked the old tractor-beam sound effect better for when the UpMonster gets sucked up by the spaceship.

So, in summary:

• Freeze-frame: :thumbsup: but it should be a tad shorter.
  • UFO sound effect: :thumbsup: but it should oscillate faster and stop as soon as the beam shows up.
  • Beam: :thumbsup: but leave it on for a split second before starting to suck the UpMonster.
  • UpMonster sucked up into spaceship should be like you had it before, with the old sound effect.

It's looking better and better. :)

One other recommendation I have is to have something on the screen that measures the level progress. I don't know... One idea that comes to mind (and it may not even be the best way), is to have a thin vertical stack of squares on the leftmost column that gets progressively filled up with color as the UpMonster bounces his way up. That way, the player can tell how much he has left to go.

There may be better ways, but the idea is to give the player some motivation that he is getting somewhere and he should continue.

I also second Tarzilla's comment regarding the ending: It's OK to put an "easter egg" for crazy players that find their way to some really insane level (I did that in Christmas Carol also, and I never had any illusions of people even getting that far ever). However, it shouldn't be the actual "ending" of the game.

If your game or storyline has a natural ending (e.g., the entire UpMonster family return to their planet and have cake and cherry soda to celebrate) then you should make it accessible to all players who put in the work and effort, and you should somehow motivate the player to reach it.

I like the idea of of Picking up letters to spell "Phone Home." It reminds me of Mr. Do (one of my favourite games), and it also has a very E.T. vibe, which fits the whole "UpMonster from outer space" theme. :)

Then again, it's your game, you do what you think is right. The UpMonster has potential to become a very addictive game, and it's almost there -- you just gotta find that "hook" to grab people's interest.

-dZ.

I guess it's that old problem of "how long (or short) do I make my game?" I want the player to reach the end, and then again, I don't want the player to reach the end too soon. I can add the level progress bar. I worked on the ending yesterday (technically "yesterday" since it's after midnight.) So I'm guessing instead of an insane amount of levels (like 50), I should shorten it to a more reasonable number of levels. But what is that number? And how large do I make the levels?

I guess it's that old problem of "how long (or short) do I make my game?" I want the player to reach the end, and then again, I don't want the player to reach the end too soon. I can add the level progress bar. I worked on the ending yesterday (technically "yesterday" since it's after midnight.) So I'm guessing instead of an insane amount of levels (like 50), I should shorten it to a more reasonable number of levels. But what is that number? And how large do I make the levels?

It's a good question, and unfortunately one I cannot answer for you. Whatever answer any of us could give you would only be based on our own vision of what a game should be. That has to come from you.

I can give you some suggestions, though:

• There doesn't have to be an "ending" that ends the game. It could go on forever with new levels, getting harder and harder every time. That's what most arcade games did and, gosh darn it! we liked it that way.
  • Even if there is an "ending" that concludes the storyline, the game can continue afterwards or repeat from the beginning. This is what I do in Christmas Carol and it doesn't seem to bother people that they keep saving the same Christmas over and over.
  • Nothing says that you need levels either. A simple jumping up game could just go on forever, if you add enough variation to the mechanics or visuals to keep it interesting.
  • Levels should be long enough to give the player a sense of accomplishment: Think of your favourite games, then imagine how long it took you to figure them out and complete a level. Then see if the same could apply in some way to your game.
  • Likewise for the number of levels: compare it to some of your favourite games and see what you can "borrow" from their ideas.

At the end of the day (or night), it's your game, and it should be your vision and your design. I know that if I were to make the UpMonster game it probably would be very different, but that's because my game design style and aesthetic is different -- and that's OK. Horses for courses and all that.

Asking someone how long the game should be or how many levels it should have is like asking them what flavour of ice cream you should eat. Chances are that whatever you pick, if you enjoy it, will be the right decision. ;)

For the most part, I try to make suggestions not on how I think the game should be (because my vision may be different from yours), but on things I think may be a bit more universal (at least in my opinion) and common to good games in general. That is based on my personal experience playing and enjoying video games (mostly casually) since I was a kid. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Whatever ideas you come up with, just test them out and see if they add or detract from the enjoyment. We're also here to test and provide feedback. You are free to take it as you wish. :)

I hope that helps.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Changed the scoring to how many clouds you pass. I figured if the game has an ending and the scoring was based on randomness, then some ending scores would be higher than others. So a perfect score (for now at least) would be 600. I also added a level progess showing thing. The game has 20 levels now. If you can pass all 20 then you can see the ending. And let me know if at the end of a level you have a score ending in 1 (or above). I really want to avoid this (if not, then a perfect ending score would be 601!)

If the game gets close enough to completion before July 30, I might enter it.

dj29.rom

You should enter it regardless. It's already a very playable game. I had to pull myself away from it after I found I had been playing for 20 minutes. You could always polish it up after the fact. I personally think that you've got something definitely worth entering here! Good luck!

Changed the scoring to how many clouds you pass. I figured if the game has an ending and the scoring was based on randomness, then some ending scores would be higher than others. So a perfect score (for now at least) would be 600. I also added a level progess showing thing. The game has 20 levels now. If you can pass all 20 then you can see the ending. And let me know if at the end of a level you have a score ending in 1 (or above). I really want to avoid this (if not, then a perfect ending score would be 601!)

OK, here's some feedback:

• I don't like the meter. The idea of the meter is sound, but that meter is a little lame (sorry). There may be something else you can do: use a different colour, reticulate it with boxes in increments of 10% or 15%, place it in a less random area, I don't know.

For starters, I would center it horizontally with the score, and make it longer. Maybe add some additional detail to that right side of the screen, since it is now "officially" the "user informational panel" or something like that.

• I don't understand the meter gauge: it seems to go up randomly as I bounce around, sometimes counting clouds sometimes not. Perhaps it's just counting percentage?
  • Is the "cloud score" counting how many clouds I've jumped on, or how many clouds have passed by the UpMonster on his way up? How about changing it to an altimeter instead of a cloud-o-meter? It could say "010 m" or "100 m" as the UpMonster climbs (remember, the goal is to go high not collect clouds... or is it?)

You could still could still count the number of clouds (since they are roughly equidistant), just present it as height instead of count.

A quick web search reveals that the Stratosphere is 50 km above the Earth crust. Why not make that the goal? You can count in 1 km increments (it's a pretty nimble UpMonster!). Then the story becomes "the UpMonster must reach the Earth's Stratosphere and enter within range of the rescue ship..." or something like that. :)

• The level seems a bit short at about 30 clouds. Changing it to 50 matches the above range and increases the challenge a little.
  • The UFO sound effect and delay before the beam are too long: also the UFO sound effect would sound less like an ambulance siren if you increase the frequency of the oscillations: make it sound more like a warble than a siren.
  • The tractor-beam is now missing the rumbling/buzzing sound effect of sucking up the UpMonster, from your very first try. That gave it a very UFO vibe.

Getting better and better.

If the game gets close enough to completion before July 30, I might enter it.

What are you talking about? It's done! Right now it's just spit-and-polish and cool new features, but the core game is solid and functional. I say, submit it.

-dZ.

How does this sound for the beaming up of the upmonster?

I liked the original stable, low-rumble sound from the first time you tried it. It's up to you of course, but that sound reminded me of a tractor beam.

-dZ.