IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

There are definitely not bags of money going to Coleco and the amount is not enough to raise the price of the system at all. I can't defend the things that were done in the past, but all I can say is that they have been very generous with us.

I sure hope he's not getting much out of this deal. The sole reason Dormitus picked up the brand was to sell it back to enthusiasts. As you probably know, their claim to it is questionable, but it would take money and a lawsuit to settle that.

And that may very well be why they agreed to such favorable terms. Your deal with them probably benefits them far more than it will benefit you. Of course I'm not a lawyer or proficient in brand/trademark laws. But I highly suspect they are getting far more out of this deal than you think. Cardillo doesn't make fair deals. He only makes deals that benefit him. Or twists other people's work into benefiting him. History has proven that.

My thoughts exactly. By appeasing Cardillo and feeding the beast, this gives them something else to strengthen their claim on the Coleco trademark. I don't know how legal any of it is, but to me, it's squicky.

Mr. Cardillo can't be 100% evil...he is playing ball with Collectorvision and in turn, the Coleco community. So what if he feels bad for the stuff last year? Maybe he actually does and this goes a long way to mending fences in my opinion.

For the love of the game? I agree that he's probably not doing it for the money (just like the other ventures), but it would be nice to hear from the guy himself.

They legitimized their "claim" with the tabletop systems. They need a product showing a license to continue the trademark. The tabletops got them that. Unless someone is willing to challenge their trademark in court, it doesn't matter if we license it as well.

Ugh.

I suspect you're right, but as Lando said

post-2410-0-61196600-1532619467_thumb.png

at least for now

• Like 1

I've been out of it for a while so the argument here is the logo? Payments going to Cardillo? The 'troll' guy who has the rights to the logo etc? Didn't he have some kind of Expo last year that went bad? Sorry not trying to start arguments here but I've been out of it and it's hard for me to research things.

I can see people being upset about that.

I've been out of it for a while so the argument here is the logo? Payments going to Cardillo? The 'troll' guy who has the rights to the logo etc? Didn't he have some kind of Expo last year that went bad? Sorry not trying to start arguments here but I've been out of it and it's hard for me to research things.
I can see people being upset about that.

This thread also has some interesting information: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281198-do-you-support-collectorvision-licensing-colecovision-from-cardillocoleco/

• Like 1

Nope, not what I was saying at all. Everybody has the given right to voice one's opinion in the good 'ole U.S. of A. However, there are a lot of other matters that we should be actively voicing our opinion on. Just my thought. Nothing more than that.

So it's okay if you give your opinions, but not others? No, that's not how it works here.

..Al

Nope, not what I was saying at all. Everybody has the given right to voice one's opinion in the good 'ole U.S. of A. However, there are a lot of other matters that we should be actively voicing our opinion on. Just my thought. Nothing more than that.

It's a video game forum and we're discussing video games, what's the problem? And that doesn't preclude people from discussing other topics.

..Al

• Like 2

No problem, just that things seem to be devolving a little and just concurred with another member's statement that there are other matters to be arguing over. However, I have been following all 400+ pages of the Atari VCS thread, so I am cool with whatever.

It's a video game forum and we're discussing video games, what's the problem? And that doesn't preclude people from discussing other topics.

..Al

While I don't post too much I do read the forums pretty actively and love learning about new things that are happening within our community. When I first heard about the CollectoVision game system, to say I was excited is an understatement. Unfortunately with the announcement of the licensing deal struck with "he whom I won't name", I have had to seriously pause in that excitement and wonder....WHY???

This is absolutely not an attack on JF or Collectorvision, as I strongly support them and applaud all of their efforts with what they have done and continue to do for the ColecoVision community, and anything I state is my opinion only. I feel they have, along with Luc and Eduardo, helped keep the system alive long after its shelf life and also by pushing the limits of the system and showing us what "old girl" is still capable of doing, all these years later.

My issue is that this is completely empowering the Jersey thug into legitimizing his endeavors and behavior. Does this embolden him to attack others again down the road for some sort of infringement issues? Will he attack fan pages on social media again? I really cannot forgive or forget what he did to TPR on Facebook. In fact we were all in agreement that what Jersey Shore did regarding all of that was bullshit! We can say that Jersey doesn't have anything to do with this system, but, in fact he truly does. If the Coleco or ColecoVision name is slapped on something with an official license, like it or not, it in fact involves him, maybe not in developing the product, but the name itself under RWB at this point has a stigma that doesn't sit well with this community. Not to mention, he hasn't ever tried to tell this community he was sorry, nor to my knowledge reached out to TPR and apologized directly to him. And at this point, I am not sure how sincere that apology would be anyway.

The Collectorvision HD system was fine with me in name as it was. The name doesn't mean much to me personally, so having ColecoVision on the console is of little value to me as long as it plays all of my cartridges. And as for adding games into the system, unless these are brand new ColecoVision games, I assume most everyone who gets the system will already have them on an original cartridge or rom format for AtariMax.

Again, I hope this isn't met with disdain or as a negative attack on JF or Collectorvision, and in fact I hope you are not serious about walking away from the community over any of this. But, having said that, you had to have known that there would be an uproar once it was learned that there was a licensing agreement.

Well, there is my humble and unnecessary opinion for the most part. I hope that we can all get past these differences and issues and get back to enjoying the one thing that brought us all here together in the first place.

• Like 4

While I don't post too much I do read the forums pretty actively and love learning about new things that are happening within our community. When I first heard about the CollectoVision game system, to say I was excited is an understatement. Unfortunately with the announcement of the licensing deal struck with "he whom I won't name", I have had to seriously pause in that excitement and wonder....WHY???

This is absolutely not an attack on JF or Collectorvision, as I strongly support them and applaud all of their efforts with what they have done and continue to do for the ColecoVision community, and anything I state is my opinion only. I feel they have, along with Luc and Eduardo, helped keep the system alive long after its shelf life and also by pushing the limits of the system and showing us what "old girl" is still capable of doing, all these years later.

My issue is that this is completely empowering the Jersey thug into legitimizing his endeavors and behavior. Does this embolden him to attack others again down the road for some sort of infringement issues? Will he attack fan pages on social media again? I really cannot forgive or forget what he did to TPR on Facebook. In fact we were all in agreement that what Jersey Shore did regarding all of that was bullshit! We can say that Jersey doesn't have anything to do with this system, but, in fact he truly does. If the Coleco or ColecoVision name is slapped on something with an official license, like it or not, it in fact involves him, maybe not in developing the product, but the name itself under RWB at this point has a stigma that doesn't sit well with this community. Not to mention, he hasn't ever tried to tell this community he was sorry, nor to my knowledge reached out to TPR and apologized directly to him. And at this point, I am not sure how sincere that apology would be anyway.

The Collectorvision HD system was fine with me in name as it was. The name doesn't mean much to me personally, so having ColecoVision on the console is of little value to me as long as it plays all of my cartridges. And as for adding games into the system, unless these are brand new ColecoVision games, I assume most everyone who gets the system will already have them on an original cartridge or rom format for AtariMax.

Again, I hope this isn't met with disdain or as a negative attack on JF or Collectorvision, and in fact I hope you are not serious about walking away from the community over any of this. But, having said that, you had to have known that there would be an uproar once it was learned that there was a licensing agreement.

Well, there is my humble and unnecessary opinion for the most part. I hope that we can all get past these differences and issues and get back to enjoying the one thing that brought us all here together in the first place.

BRAVO! Well said. Agreed 100%

And no, we never reveived any apology and no it would hold no weight if we suddenly got one today.

• Like 1

Any concern that if they don't deliver on their mini arcades people might be concerned about your kickstarter? If Coleco doesn't deliver people may think that Coleco won't deliver on the new Colecovision system kickstarter. How would the average person know that Colecovision is produced by Coleco? They haven't posted updates in over a month, and are supposed to deliver in over a month.

My thoughts exactly. By appeasing Cardillo and feeding the beast, this gives them something else to strengthen their claim on the Coleco trademark. I don't know how legal any of it is, but to me, it's squicky.

Trademarks self-expire if not used, so every time they put it on a product it extends their claim on the trademark.

Unfortunately trademark hijacking this way is legal (aside from whatever they did dishonestly in registering coleco vision). And their intention is to deceive the public into thinking that their products are connected to a long gone company's reputation which they have nothing to do with. I hope this new console or it's packaging does not have the coleco logo on it.

My opinion is that it will finally be good to get a CV system in my house. Cardillo is a giant douchecanoe, but my thought on it is that since Collectorvision licensed the Colecovision name, there's less of a chance that Cardillo and friends will shut this down like he did all sorts of other Colecovision projects. I look at the name licensing as self preservation.

• Like 1

I think Collectorvision has been around long enough for us to pick up on they like to take classic brands and bring them back to life. Not everyone knows or cares about the drama surrounding other brand owners - they just remember loving their Coleco.

New old stock will not last forever. Mini locked down emulation toys are not the answer. We should be supporting new hardware from AtariAge members.

• Like 2

My opinion is that it will finally be good to get a CV system in my house. Cardillo is a giant douchecanoe, but my thought on it is that since Collectorvision licensed the Colecovision name, there's less of a chance that Cardillo and friends will shut this down like he did all sorts of other Colecovision projects. I look at the name licensing as self preservation.

Hmm, so basically what you are saying is licensing the ColecoVision name from Cardillo was basically a payoff? A "bribe" if you will, so that he won't attempt to shut this project down?

Hmm, so basically what you are saying is licensing the ColecoVision name from Cardillo was basically a payoff? A "bribe" if you will, so that he won't attempt to shut this project down?

I'm saying it makes it less likely, regardless of the reason behind the licensing.

For all we know Cardillo could have been "Nice retro system you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it. "

I'm saying it makes it less likely, regardless of the reason behind the licensing.

For all we know Cardillo could have been "Nice retro system you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it. "

Which is extortion and even more of a reason to have never gotten in bed with this asshole, which was my point of bringing this up in the first place http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265958-collectorvision-game-system/page-22?do=findComment&comment=4079033

I didn't do it to stir up shit, I certainly didn't do it to sabotage or derail this project. I've been collecting games from J-F, Luc and Eduardo for the ColecoVision for as long as they're been making them.

But Cardillo was a bully, interested only in milking what he can and as much as he can from his trademark purchase, or whatever the hell its called. Hes as bad as a patent troll, or patent whore, or whatever the hell they're called.

But in this case he would not have a leg to stand on when it comes to the technology of the ColecoVision, just like Atari couldn't stop the Gemini or Coleco's Atari module, or even Coleco from stopping a module of their own system (someone remind me who made this).

So while I can sort of understand your reasoning, and maybe this was the same reasoning CollectorVision had, it all comes back to that old saying "please don't feed the troll".

But maybe its just me and my naivete when it comes to business in the real world, maybe I just need to go watch Back to School again and watch the Economics class...

What I think should have been done before the official announcement of the console was to explain the ColecoVision licensing and why they decided to do it, if only to explain it to the community. Sort of cushion the blow, so to speak. To not expect any backlash or anyone questioning any dealing with Coleco was unrealistic. Not saying the have to justify their actions, but again, it would have been a good idea to be upfront and explain it firsthand, thats all.

I've said pretty much said want I want to say about this, and regardless, I do look forward to this system coming out, as well as everyone else's.

I will just say this, if this system came out and only had the collectorvision name on it, there isn't a damn thing that Jersey could have done to stop, derail or otherwise impede it.

Absolutely, this is exactly what I was thinking. What seems to be misunderstood by some is that Jackass Jersey only holds the trademarks for the names Coleco and ColecoVision and some of their associated logos. They do not hold ANY rights to any of the original IP and have no claim whatsoever on any new console that mimics the operation of the original ColecoVision or ADAM. So, if the console does not have the Coleco or ColecoVision name or logos on it Jackass J. has no say in it whatsoever.

My concern for CollectorVision on this system when it comes out is that Coleco-Cardillo will claim Coleco is releasing the new system since it is licensed by them. Didn't they try to pull that stunt on the Sydney Hunter game claiming it was the first new game Coleco had released in 30+ years?

I will just say this, if this system came out and only had the collectorvision name on it, there isn't a damn thing that Jersey could have done to stop, derail or otherwise impede it.

I am positive that everyone around here knows that I think Cardillo is and utter ass (being gentle there) and that Dormitus/River West Brands/Coleco Holdings LLC has done tremendous harm to the Coleco name, but.....

Had CollectorVision released the CV HD system with the CollectorVision logo on it, everyone knows that there would have been a large number of people "asking why/wishing that" the ColecoVision logo was used instead.

Heck, didn't take long for one of iur resident graphic artists to put together a replacement label for the CV Flashback and fir everyone to go goo-goo-gaa-gaa over it. I sure did!

So let's all take a step back from the ledge already. Be thankful that we have multiple new CV system options coming in the near future and they are from people who care about the ColecoVision and this community!

Cardillo and the companies he works for... let them fade into oblivion by never mentioning them again on these forums. If someone in the Homebrew community wants to licensee the name/logo rights from him in the future... then so be it, hopefully they won't be taken advantage of by Cardillo and company like Joe B. just reminded me of with the Sydney Hunter B.S.

• Like 2

Had CollectorVision released the CV HD system with the CollectorVision logo on it, everyone knows that there would have been a large number of people "asking why/wishing that" the ColecoVision logo was used instead.

You know that's pure speculation on your part...

But lets not do a pole at this point, please, whats done is done.

If they make different face plates or labels for it, I'm all in for a CollectorVision HD System. If not and its got Coleco plastered all over it, if it does what I need it to do, I'll still be in.

Right now, I can't play anything vintage on my current TV so I've been kind of bummed out of late.

Good thing there have been some great Vectrex releases or else I would have been SOL playing any old-timey goodness of late.