IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

In this video at about 2:05 to 2:10, you can catch a glimpse of some small tabletop units. They look like Dig Dug, Q*bert and Joust. Someone asked them about it on their Facebook page, and they said those are prototypes for their 2019 lineup.

• Like 1

So next year they'll get into barcades basically looking at the size. I'm curious how much it will diminsh the cost of entry with that being so much smaller. $150, $200?

Also saw another bit an hour or two ago, they have cocktails coming, one being a head to head street fighter. Also someone was sloppy (on purpose I'm sure) with some black drop cloths as they have a cab with marvel vs capcom on it, and another with some old 8bit/16bit arcade era Sega titles of the 80s on it.

Edited by Tanooki

Just get a RetroPie, Arcade Cab & all the Stuff for less

Just a Cash Grab TBH

Anythng sold is basically a cash grab. Also, price me out a cab, arcade controls, retropie, LCD, shipped for $300 (WalMart price). Then factor in the simplicity of the build they are selling, versus a novice having to put together what you're suggesting.

• Like 4

Anythng sold is basically a cash grab. Also, price me out a cab, arcade controls, retropie, LCD, shipped for $300 (WalMart price). Then factor in the simplicity of the build they are selling, versus a novice having to put together what you're suggesting.

I expect what we're going to find out is that the controls are not arcade-quality. Just "good enough" (hopefully) - and that will be fine for most people who haven't played a real arcade cabinet in many years. I think the strongest selling points of these are the beautiful, authentic cabinet artwork and the ease of setup.

I think the strongest selling points of these are the beautiful, authentic cabinet artwork and the ease of setup.

This is it for me. Having an arcade cab has always been a dream for me. At the $300 price point to have a cabaret sized cab with all the artwork has my full attention.

• Like 1

These are pretty neat and if I had kids or was still hosting frequent get-togethers with friends I'd be looking harder at them; perhaps even multiple units. Sure an all-in-one contains more (ill-gotten) games, but multiple has more of the arcade feel and allows for more than one to be played at a time. Who knows, though? Maybe when we finally finish the basement ...

As for mini-arcades, I've never understood the appeal beyond displaying. Playing them just doesn't look fun.

• Like 1

Just get a RetroPie, Arcade Cab & all the Stuff for less

Just a Cash Grab TBH

I'm guessing you haven't priced out the cost of building your own arcade cabinet from scratch. Even if you did have all the power tools and skills to do it you'd be hard pressed to build your own cab for less than $600, making Arcade1Up's Ikea style kits for $300 an outstanding deal.

They're probably not going to be quite as nice quality in the components department as if you would have built your own from scratch, but they are half the price and vastly easier to assemble.

Ah, the classic "a Pi does it for less," "this is for noobs," etc., comments. Whether it's a NES Classic or a home use arcade cabinet, we always have to hear this. A Pi is not a plug and play solution, has issues of its own, and you're unlikely to put together as slick of a package as any of these turnkey solutions. If it's more fun, fulfilling, or otherwise more cost effective for you personally, it doesn't mean it is for anyone else. Some of us really genuinely want a slick, pre-packaged - and actually not that expensive - solution sometimes. And sure, it would be nice to have every game ever, but sometimes a carefully curated selection of games easily worth hundreds of hours of play-time is sufficient as well.

• Like 7

One of the things that sort of torqued me is that use of a LCD screen doesn't allow for scanlines (and I've seen no sort of BIOS/setup/firmware configuration option period, much less one that would allow for a 'retro' look).

Last night I went to an actual 80s throwback arcade, and played the *hell* out of Galaga...and was quite shocked to realize that, having seen and used MAME-style scanlines for the better part of two decades, *they actually aren't that prominent in real life on actual hardware*. It's amazing how much emulation can (re)color our view on what things were like "back in the day".

I am still QUITE curious how - or if - high scores will be handled. I might feel a bit miffed losing them on each poweroff, even if that is more 'authentic'... :)

I'm also a wee bit concerned about licensing. I get it - they are using authentic sideart, panel art and all - but does that really indicate they are truly officially licensed? Has there been any actual evidence at all they are? I mean, we all believed Ultracade was legit back in the day at first, too...and when I look at the sheer number of licensees at play just for the announced titles, it rather boggles the mind they were able to convince them all and still hit a $300 price point for multi-game systems. Not trying to be "that guy", just saying.

• Like 1

These are pretty neat and if I had kids or was still hosting frequent get-togethers with friends I'd be looking harder at them; perhaps even multiple units. Sure an all-in-one contains more (ill-gotten) games, but multiple has more of the arcade feel and allows for more than one to be played at a time. Who knows, though? Maybe when we finally finish the basement ...

As for mini-arcades, I've never understood the appeal beyond displaying. Playing them just doesn't look fun.

I'm not a fan of the tiny table top arcades either - those really are too small, at least for me. Bartops are pretty good, however. The rumor I heard is that the next Arcade1Up form factor is going to be cocktail cabinets, which I think is quite interesting, although may indeed just be wishful thinking and nothing else. Based on the assembly instructions, their actual hardware size powering this stuff is negligible, so they can pretty much do any form factor they choose.

One of the things that sort of torqued me is that use of a LCD screen doesn't allow for scanlines (and I've seen no sort of BIOS/setup/firmware configuration option period, much less one that would allow for a 'retro' look).

Last night I went to an actual 80s throwback arcade, and played the *hell* out of Galaga...and was quite shocked to realize that, having seen and used MAME-style scanlines for the better part of two decades, *they actually aren't that prominent in real life on actual hardware*. It's amazing how much emulation can (re)color our view on what things were like "back in the day".

I am still QUITE curious how - or if - high scores will be handled. I might feel a bit miffed losing them on each poweroff, even if that is more 'authentic'... :)

I'm also a wee bit concerned about licensing. I get it - they are using authentic sideart, panel art and all - but does that really indicate they are truly officially licensed? Has there been any actual evidence at all they are? I mean, we all believed Ultracade was legit back in the day at first, too...and when I look at the sheer number of licensees at play just for the announced titles, it rather boggles the mind they were able to convince them all and still hit a $300 price point for multi-game systems. Not trying to be "that guy", just saying.

I have every confidence these are officially licensed, so no issue there. I personally know of at least one specific instance where I have official confirmation.

Your other questions are good ones. I hope they retain high scores and have some type of menu system to do some minor configurations of things. Just some of the basics would be nice.

• Like 1

I ordered the Galaga/Galaxian cab yesterday, should be here Wednesday (it's the only one in-channel already per Wal-Mart).

Will do detailed photos and as much analysis as I can without actually breaking anything.

Note that even though you can get this one now, the risers won't be available until September.

So have you actually received a shipping notice yet? Please post when you get it.

Ah, the classic "a Pi does it for less," "this is for noobs," etc., comments. Whether it's a NES Classic or a home use arcade cabinet, we always have to hear this. A Pi is not a plug and play solution, has issues of its own, and you're unlikely to put together as slick of a package as any of these turnkey solutions. If it's more fun, fulfilling, or otherwise more cost effective for you personally, it doesn't mean it is for anyone else. Some of us really genuinely want a slick, pre-packaged - and actually not that expensive - solution sometimes. And sure, it would be nice to have every game ever, but sometimes a carefully curated selection of games easily worth hundreds of hours of play-time is sufficient as well.

Is it really that big of a problem if people bring it up? I can understand that it could be annoying if someone has a haughty attitude about it. But it's a useful consideration for many when trying to weigh cost-effectiveness. Also, as tempting as these cabinets are - I sure have a desire to get a few! - some people do occasionally get into trouble with collecting too much stuff. Getting these as-is, modding them, or going another route entirely all seem like reasonable topics of discussion.

They mentioned in response to a comment on their Facebook page that they are now including a score-saving solution on the Street Fighter cabinet, so maybe that will eventually propagate to other cabinets. Edit: Just to say, what I'm seeing so far from their interactions gives me the impression that they are listening to consumer's requests, so if it's something they can legally and affordably do, you might want to communicate your wishlist to them.

Edited by Zoyous

Is it really that big of a problem if people bring it up? I can understand that it could be annoying if someone has a haughty attitude about it. But it's a useful consideration for many when trying to weigh cost-effectiveness. Also, as tempting as these cabinets are - I sure have a desire to get a few! - some people do occasionally get into trouble with collecting too much stuff. Getting these as-is, modding them, or going another route entirely all seem like reasonable topics of discussion.

It's literally every time, every discussion with these types of products, like they're inferior to the DIY alternative and that the DIY option is not only somehow equivalent, but also superior. I'm all for hearing about options and I'm obviously all for debate, etc., but it does get a bit tiresome truth be told to hear the same thing over-and-over again in the same exact context.

• Like 1

i would be interested in the centipede ones, and the others look good too.

however, the controls for the other games on the systems looks terrible...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

strike:

----------

the asteroids one - the spinner is on the right, so playing tempest would be hard for me.

would have to redrill a hole, and move it, same for major havoc.....

the centipede one - doesn't have a centered trackball, so it's hard to play any of the games.

the buttons are all wrong for missile command, and it would be hard to play millipede, and same

with jumping for crystal castles.

the rampage one is the worst though:

-----------------------------------------------------

d9563be2-142e-4233-9623-2e6d3fe4323a_15.

how in the world are you supposed to play defender, or stargate with the buttons all over the place.

the other joysticks are in the way.

also, for joust, it would be weird playing them with 4 way stick, i'm sure they could be restricted.

and finally, forget about playing 4 player gauntlet (yes it would be crowded), but the fact is

you don't even have that option, only 3 player.

================

i forsee a lot of people changing these up, modding the controls, the cabinets, etc.

sounds like a good deal for the price, for casual players, and semi hobbyists. but for more discerning people,

some work will have to be done to them.

later

For Tempest, the arcade version had the spinner on the right as well. Also, the button layout for Asteroids is really nice, and makes the cabinet worth owning unless you have a homemade Starpath controller.

For Centipede, again, the trackball wasn't centered in the arcade either. I actually just played an authentic Centipede machine at the Arcade Museum in Daytona Beach.

post-36283-0-33883900-1532888751.jpg

post-36283-0-48465300-1532889213.jpg

Edited by Noah98
  • Like 1

Anyone know if the game lineup got cut down? I saw this in the sizzle reel. It would be nice if the extra games were still included!

Yes, they had to drop some games, including Asteroids Deluxe on the Asteroids cabinet. I don't know why.

There are all kinds of rumors about future compilations. The usual suspects are mentioned. Who knows what will come to pass, but frankly, I can't see myself ever buying more than two of these things. Even though they're small, they're still big enough to not exactly be collectibles.

For Tempest, the arcade version had the spinner on the right as well. Also, the button layout for Asteroids is really nice, and makes the cabinet worth owning unless you have a homemade Starpath controller.

For Centipede, again, the trackball wasn't centered in the arcade either. I actually just played an authentic Centipede machine at the Arcade Museum in Daytona Beach.

the tempest one is not way over on the right edge of the cabinet. so its still a huge problem.

the centipede one is better, but still not quite right.

also, the fact they are flat panels, and not sloped makes a big difference for your wrists when playing.

later

the tempest one is not way over on the right edge of the cabinet. so its still a huge problem.

also, the fact they are flat panels, and not sloped makes a big difference for your wrists when playing.

later

I think the short width of the control panels will make a difference, so maybe placement of various control elements won't matter quite so much. I do agree about the lack of slope, but I guess we'll see once these are out whether that's a genuine problem or not in actual play.

• Like 1

Yes, they had to drop some games, including Asteroids Deluxe on the Asteroids cabinet. I don't know why.

There are all kinds of rumors about future compilations. The usual suspects are mentioned. Who knows what will come to pass, but frankly, I can't see myself ever buying more than two of these things. Even though they're small, they're still big enough to not exactly be collectibles.

I saw an Asteroids Deluxe cabinet that included Asteroids. It looks pretty good, either it got the axe or maybe it's planned for the future? This link was posted back in Feb.

https://www.dlh.net/en/gaming-news/58193/arcade-1up-machines-bring-the-retro-gaming-to-your-home.html

Also, here's a video that shows a look at the controls and some games running. Some of the included games have changed and man would I die for that Space Invaders. The Arcade1Up segment starts around the 1:20 mark in the video.

later

It's really hard to tell from the pictures and quick video. You make a good point about the flat panels vs sloped. That definitely might be an issue. Hopefully the spinner is not in an uncomfortable position.

I'm trying to resist the urge to preorder one and wait for some reviews. It would be nice if the media got review copies soon. Walmart is making it seem like these are shipping now, so maybe they will come out a little early.

I ordered the Galaga/Galaxian cab yesterday, should be here Wednesday (it's the only one in-channel already per Wal-Mart).

Will do detailed photos and as much analysis as I can without actually breaking anything.

Note that even though you can get this one now, the risers won't be available until September.

Yeah, I have it for in-store pickup for Aug. 1, whereas if I wanted it shipped three miles away from the store to my house, it will be Sept. 27th lol.