IGNORED

Need help with XEGS Games list.

Schitti

Atari specific? Or aftermarket inclusive? I have Final Legacy in grey, off the top of my head.

I'd say just the Atari specific, gray XE style carts. Be interesting to see what games were and were not released like this.

Since no one has done a full list, might be good to at least start one, even if it takes awhile to fill out all the corners. I myself have Ms. Pac Man, Donkey kong Jr, Pole Position and Football loose in the gray, XE cart style.

Would be cool to have a complete list.

Ehm.... What about this post ;) http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210745-cartridge-list-for-the-atari-8-bit-computers-400800xlxe-computers/?hl=+atari%20+8bit%20+carts

I think Atari8bitcarts made a very good list :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's an amazing list, I've seen it before, but it doesn't specifically list which carts game in the gray XE style, does it? It lists the boxes, but gray boxes sometimes came with the brown style carts with silver labels, and some unknown number used the XE style gray carts, which I think should be listed under the XE section.

Or is the mustard green colored section of the Atari released carts in that sheet supposed to indicate the gray *cart* releases, not just the box?

Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry, English is not my native language. So you want to create a full list of games which were available as a grey XE-style cartridge (beside the ones available in the blue box) .

Okay, the ones I know of are: Joust, Tennis, Moon Patrol, Pole Position, Final Legacy, Football, Pac Man, Donkey Kong Junior and Millipede.

I have these, which I believe were posted by AA user tjlazer.

Any XE prototype label is going to be fictitious though.

I like what the XE cart page here did with protos: AEX - Atari XE Cartridges

They just took the demo cartridge label and applied the name of each proto.

It looks pretty cool and separates out all the protos from the release carts

nicely.

You can also look here and see some labels that have been made by resellers

and users (look right below the XE cart section): Pitfall Jones - 8-bit Cartridges

i agree with you that the demo cartridge label looks really cool for protos, i like it.

But for the database i prefer the real deal, a pic from the prototype (cart or pcb) or nothing.

I'd say just the Atari specific, gray XE style carts. Be interesting to see what games were and were not released like this.

have looked to my cabinet and found only Football and Final Legacy

Titels as far as I can see this thread:

Donkey Kong Junior

Final Legacy

Football

Joust

Millipede

Moon Patrol

Ms. Pac Man

Pac Man

Pole Position

Tennis

additional ?

weird. i have (all, nearly all?) these titles in silver boxes with the old style carts

Donkey Kong Junior

Final Legacy

Football

Joust

Millipede

Moon Patrol

Ms. Pac Man

Pac Man

Pole Position

Tennis

additional ?

weird. i have (all, nearly all?) these titles in silver boxes with the old style carts

Yeah, same here.

I'm guessing Atari released their old warehouse stock in the new cases when the XE line came out, and prior to the XEGS/Blue Box redesign. Which is why I think these gray carts need to be listed as XE era. I don't (think) there were any external markings on the boxes that were different, just the carts.

i agree with you that the demo cartridge label looks really cool for protos, i like it.

But for the database i prefer the real deal, a pic from the prototype (cart or pcb) or nothing.

I get what you're saying about showing them how they might be found in the wild;

but there's nothing more "real deal" about the packaging and labels that some

vendor made up in 5 minutes and slapped on a repro job from his inkjet printer

than anything or nothing. That's why a lot of people replace them; they're junk.

I'm not telling you what to do on your own website, though; it's just a point I want

to make.

Edited by MrFish

Not weird at all. Take a look at the file in thread I referred to in a previous post. Atari re-released their cartridges several times. You can see that in Atari8bitcarts excel sheet, take a look at it ;) The grey XE cartridges are used in some of the 1987 rereleases. The same year that the first blue Atari XEGS cartridges were released. The layouts of the silver boxes were re-used and even some of the old black boxes without the 400/800 logos. A yellow sticker was put on some (not all!) of those re-released boxes stating "Also plays on XE Game System and XE/XL computers".

If I am not mistaken Atari did the same trick with the 2600 titles. Colored boxes turned into silver boxes and after that into red boxes. As you are more of a 2600 person, I think you will see the picture ;)

Look for it on the internet, you will find those boxes variances quite easily.

Edited by Fred_M

Well,

some carts use CXL numbers, some use RX numbers, but the old CXL carts used nearly the same number when they were re-released as an RX type (e.g. CXL 4006 became RX 8006)... http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-super-breakout_5152.html

meaning CXL4 became RX8 and the rest of the number for the re-released carts was the same as the old number...

Are the CO numbers the same for all versions of the carts? I have Donkey Kong, Pac man, Atari Basic and AtariWriter on brown cart, silver label. Actually Atariwriter is all silver, no stripes.

And look at the excel sheet in the first post of this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210745-cartridge-list-for-the-atari-8-bit-computers-400800xlxe-computers/?hl=+atari%20+8bit%20+carts

You can see ALL releases and re-releases there including dates, the cartridge numbers (and sadly not the cartridge colors ;) )

Yowzer. That is some reading. I assume when the XE's came out they just stuck silver/black stickers on all the old stock?

My BASIC cart seems odd, there was no need to release it, except for compatibility with older 400/800 software on XL's/XE's.Weird they would release it in the XE era.

My BASIC cart seems odd, there was no need to release it, except for compatibility with older 400/800 software on XL's/XE's.Weird they would release it in the XE era.

Well, 2 of my XEGS' came out of the sealed box with a non-functional O.S. After an EPROM implant the built-in BASIC doesn't seem to work. BASIC on cartridge. however, works fine.

So.., that's why :-)

• 3 months later...

Donkey Kong Junior

Final Legacy

Football

Joust

Millipede

Moon Patrol

Ms. Pac Man

Pac Man

Pole Position

Tennis

additional ?

Add Jungle Hunt to the list! :)

post-47330-0-63711600-1532519154_thumb.jpeg

Are we sure that Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man have the XE-style cartridge variants? I haven't been able to track down either of those, nor seen any currently for sale or recently sold listings on eBay. I know that's not the be-all end-all, but I'm a little surprised I can't find so much as a screenshot of those two.

I am sure about Pac Man. I have sold this cartridge in my shop. Sadly it is a very small picture (the old webshop software did not have large pictures), but I made the picture myself in 2003 ;)

post-6711-0-43191500-1532974425.jpg

And these are the ones I sold many years ago...

post-6711-0-02689600-1532975495.jpgpost-6711-0-06573400-1532975511.jpgpost-6711-0-46304700-1532975529.jpgpost-6711-0-82861800-1532975548.jpgpost-6711-0-69233200-1532975572.jpgpost-6711-0-56661400-1532975623.jpgpost-6711-0-27226900-1532975659.jpg

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

Since no one has done a full list, might be good to at least start one, even if it takes awhile to fill out all the corners. I myself have Ms. Pac Man, Donkey kong Jr, Pole Position and Football loose in the gray, XE cart style.

Would be cool to have a complete list.

Hey, could you snap a pic of your Ms. Pac-Man in the XE-style gray cart? I've never seen one in that variant! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i am still looking for a scan from the blue Eastern Front box to fill the last hole, from the official blue xegs releases.

http://www.atariboxed.com/index.php?go=output&dir=DESC&rows_per_page=50&select_system=4

Maybe someone will help me?

Thank you.

Why don't you just buy the game from Best Electronics? It's $19.95 brand-new, sealed in blue box.

• Like 1