IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

These are units I had dreamed of coming out years ago, before I actually collected some true arcade cabs. I've seen some custom 60 in 1 or so units over the years this size, but a person had better been ready to pony up $800 or more per unit for those! The cost of these is much more attractive. Also, even though I love my arcade cabs, keeping the things going is not easy. The CRTs are basically on borrowed time anymore, components are aging, and unless you can work on then yourself or are in an area with people who do, getting the repaired is becoming near impossible. These mini-arcades might make a good alternative and perhaps even open the door for other games for the home along these lines.

It's hard to find a business around here, there is one guy and he's getting older now too, and that's only because the second got out of it. I think if someone probably dangled bait on pinside.com forums as the base there is HUGE you could find a local who can do repairs that way for your own town and come up with some good arrangement.

I think I might have said this months ago in the earlier days of this thread but I'm too lazy to check. I love that stuff like this (apparently?) has an audience, but my fear is that by the time the production versions roll off the line, the bean-counters will have compromised the living f#$k out of it, resulting in a big missed opportunity for a good thing.

Prime among my concerns is the structural integrity of the cabinets. I've built multiple MAME cabinet projects myself from the ground up, and have definitely learned a lesson or two about the perils of cutting corners on cabinet structure. I realize that somebody who has never had a cabinet might be inclined to just dismiss this potential concern as a minor nitpicky detail. All I can say is, I guess you're really not going to appreciate the importance of this aspect until you've been disappointed by it yourself. A wooden box for housing video games is easy to build on the cheap; the flip-side is that it is not remotely fun to play arcade games on a wooden box that bends and sways and wobbles and creaks when you move the joysticks around with a little bit of enthusiasm.

To be perfectly clear, I have no idea whether the cabinets will be solid or not; I hope it turns out that they are. If preliminary reviews have been positive, that's a great start I guess, but they're meaningless to me unless I know for sure that the reviewer is actually looking at and commenting on these sorts of details.

As for the modding vs. keeping it as-is discussion, I can totally see both sides of that one. If the controls are decent quality, the emulation is comparable to MAME, and the front end is attractive, then I could see myself keeping one as-is for that money. But on the other hand, if the cabinet build quality is solid, then I'd probably not be able to resist gutting it to open up the selection of games. I'm thinking a good quality 4-way stick, 2 buttons, and a Pi containing only suitable games for that layout.

Actually, I'm thinking that it would be wise for the company to design mod-ability into the cabinets if possible, even if they don't advertise it. If it could be achieved without added cost, it would only broaden the appeal and increase sales, I would think.

Just looking at Walmart and I see they are all out of stock now. Earlier today some (Galaga and Asteroids) were showing as ready to go and would be available to pick up on Aug. 1 or delivered to your door in 2 days. Centipede was showing as a pre-order and shipping in late Sept. I didn't check on the others. Now they all say "Out of Stock".

For the guys who have ordered and were given a delivery date of Aug. 1, are your orders still good and have they shipped yet?

Edited by Skeeter

Just looking at Walmart and I see they are all out of stock now. Earlier today some (Galaga and Asteroids) were showing as ready to go and would be available to pick up on Aug. 1 or delivered to your door in 2 days. Centipede was showing as a pre-order and shipping in late Sept. I didn't check on the others. Now they all say "Out of Stock".

For the guys who have ordered and were given a delivery date of Aug. 1, are your orders still good and have they shipped yet?

Excellent question. Mine still shows a status of 'Preparing order' with a delivery date of tomorrow. I don't think it's gonna ship.

• Like 1

I just took a look at the centipede control panel and am a little disappointed that the tracball is on the right. Of course on the original cabinets they were on the left, and the more recent commercial multicades had them in the center.. Surprised they didnt go that route.

Edited by NE146

According to a tweet by Arcade1up the vanishing Walmart pre-orders were a mistake by Walmart and they should be back tomorrow. But it doesn't say anything about those who are expecting a delivery in 2 days

https://twitter.com/Patham/status/1024074191472087040

Thanks for that, I don't follow twitter so I appreciate the update.

It also looks like the Galaga/Galaxian cab was supposed to be for Black Friday, so this might be a hard to get cab if they don't come up for sale again until then:

Arcade1UpOfficial Comments above are correct. It's because it's a special machine that is a retailer exclusive for Black Friday.

(from their Facebook account)

I just took a look at the centipede control panel and am a little disappointed that the tracball is on the right. Of course on the original cabinets they were on the left, and the more recent commercial multicades had them in the center.. Surprised they didnt go that route.

I honestly can't remember ...I thought it was in the center in the original arcade game. This cabinet photo shows it on the right (or perhaps your "other left.")

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7299

It's morning on the east coast. Still arriving on 7/31, still 'preparing order'.

To be fair, Walmart says delivery is by 7/31, but they don't _actually_ indicate the year. *laughs*

Good luck. I know another guy who ordered an Asteroids and has been in contact with Walmart Customer Support and his order is in the same stage as yours. They still claim it's shipping so we shall see.

I'm just hoping they come back online for order again at the $300 price. I won't actually have the money to buy one for a week or two.

I'm sure it comes as a surprise to absolutely nobody that my Galaga machine did not in fact arrive (nor has my order status changed).

Given the expected GA release of all other machines on 9/25, I'm still perplexed as to why Galaga/Galaxian was meant to be a Walmart-exclusive "Black Friday" deal (in late November?).

I'm going to cancel the order and sit this one out and see what actually ends up being released. I was quite hoping this would be a "soak test" sort of machine where purchasers would have the opportunity to wring things out and offer valuable feedback that would potentially (positively) affect the real launch, but no such luck, and if I'm buying on faith or impulse, that goodwill and euphoric spend drive isn't going to last two months. I suspect they teased this all a bit on the early side. *shrugs*

Will keep an eye out in a couple of months to see how the story evolves... =)

• Like 2

My guess is the Galaga and Space Invaders for the surprise two games they say will be announced in October and available in November. Galaga because I think this was planned for a Black Friday release originally and leaked by Walmart. Space Invaders because I've seen a video with that one. Just my guess.

My guess is the Galaga and Space Invaders for the surprise two games they say will be announced in October and available in November. Galaga because I think this was planned for a Black Friday release originally and leaked by Walmart. Space Invaders because I've seen a video with that one. Just my guess.

My thoughts exactly on the Galaga/Galaxian cab @ Walmart; on Facebook whenever it was mentioned there were a lot of "shh" and "hush hush" responses from them (Arcade1Up) that it was not supposed to have been announced yet.

Any link to the Space Invaders video? I'd like to see that cab also.

Guess its time to get real about cleaning out the family room...

My thoughts exactly on the Galaga/Galaxian cab @ Walmart; on Facebook whenever it was mentioned there were a lot of "shh" and "hush hush" responses from them (Arcade1Up) that it was not supposed to have been announced yet.

Any link to the Space Invaders video? I'd like to see that cab also.

Guess its time to get real about cleaning out the family room...

At around 1:20 in this video..

If they can replicate the mirror/holographic design of the original Space Invaders cabinet, I'd be there. Otherwise, I can't see myself mustering interest in it since that's a lot of the appeal for me when playing Space Invaders in an arcade today.

Space Invaders has a huge nostalgia factor for me as it was the very first arcade game I ever saw and played. I'll never forget walking into a bar and seeing the thing sitting there all alone. Most everyone was paying it no mind including my friends who just passed it by as they stacked quarters on the pool table for the next game. I myself was mesmerized by the alien machine and dropped many quarters into it that day. From the video linked above I would be doing the happy dance if Arcade1up brings that one out.

Edited by Skeeter

Yeah I keep thinking about these. I think for joystick games like Galaga, Street Fighter 2, etc.. the experience wouldnt be any different from every other emulation cabinet out there.

However what keeps me looking back at it is the trackball and spinner controls. Who am I kidding... if the reviews are good I think its a very good chance Ill pick up the centipede & vector ones. :lol: