IGNORED

New Atari 8-bit scans and video

Savetz

Kiss was on cartridge and MAE was on disk yes or no? never mind it's probably in the scans...

it is and wow...

There is quite a list of places that had the software and cartridges so would it sounds possible to find them again... You've seen the stuff turn up before.. and if you do contact people and explain the whole history/archival importance you, will probably be successful chasing it down in the end...

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 4 weeks later...

I am working to find dissertations and theses that involve Atari computers.

Here's what I have so far:

An Infrared Link Between Two Computers (Atari 800) with code. Interview coming.

Introduction To BASIC Programming: A Student Workbook For The Atari it's basically a primer on Atari BASIC

Teaching Of Computer Literacy Through The Use Of ATARI PILOT basically a primer on Atari PILOT

Array Representation Methods In APL interpreter (on Atari 800) I don't understand this, but lots of assembly code!

Computer Generated Surface Design And Structural Weave describes Macomber weaving software that I did an interview about.

Color Vision Tests Calibrated Color Monitor and Microcomputer includes some BASIC code for color vision testing.

6502 related stuff that's not Atari-specific:

A Multi Tasking Operating System For Microcomputers he wrote an OS called QUAD3 that you've never heard of

An SLA Realization Of The 6502 Microprocessor

Purchase Of Home Computers: Children's Participation In The Decision Process And Families' Subsequent Product Satisfaction

More to come, I think.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

More great stuff from Harry!

Presenting The Atari 1200

Harry Stewart told me: "Here is the outline for an internal presentation of the Atari 1200 to ??? The first two pages are the outline of the entire presentation, and the following pages contain the material that I presented. From the looks of the material the audience must have been technical, rather than management. The presenters were Paul Laughton, Scott Scheiman, and myself."

Functional Requirement Specification for a DOS 3 Disk Cleanup Utility.
Harry Stewart told me: "Here is a scan of a study regarding the possible addition of CP/M compatibility to Atari machines. I don’t know/remember if there is a relationship between this and the later Sweet Pea development."
"Back in the day I wrote a demo program for Atari PILOT that I called Hollywood Squares. It drew random size squares, at random locations, using random colors, and came up with some stunning combinations occasionally. I don’t have a copy of the original, but I did try to recreate it last year from memory. I have attached the program listing, a sample screen shot, and an .atr file that includes the program file, which is named TEMP4."
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the source code for Buck Rogers, from our new old friend Charlie Kulas. Who's going to be the hero to convert it to text?

Someone please check my work. make sure everything is legible. This is going to a museum soonish, so I want to be sure the scans are right while I have access.

Buck Rogers.pdf

post-803-0-89302900-1526603203_thumb.png

(I will also upload this to Internet Archive, but am having technical issues at the moment.)

• Like 5

Here's the source code for Up'N Down, from Charlie Kulas. I believe this is a pre-production version of the game. I have a later version as well, which I haven't scanned yet.

Who's going to be the hero to convert it to text?

Someone please check my work. make sure everything is legible. This is going to a museum soonish, so I want to be sure the scans are right while I have access.

UpNDown.pdf

post-803-0-80407900-1526603444_thumb.png

(I will also upload this to Internet Archive, but am having technical issues at the moment.)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Here's the second version of source code for Up'NDown, from Charlie Kulas. I believe this is is a closer-to-final version of the game. I believe @Atari_Ace is working to OCR and compare the two printed versions with the release version.

UpNDown2.pdf

The permanent home for these scans is https://archive.org/details/UpNDown_source

The original printouts will be going to their forever home at The Strong Museum of Play.

-Kevin

• Like 6

Here's the second version of source code for Up'NDown, from Charlie Kulas. I believe this is is a closer-to-final version of the game. I believe @Atari_Ace is working to OCR and compare the two printed versions with the release version.

Here's the OCR/transcription of both listings, plus an (incomplete) disassembly of the released cartridge using these listings as a guide. As usual I included the tools I wrote to help check the listings by adapting the listing to an output MADS can assemble.

This 2nd listing I'm pretty sure is an earlier version of the game than the other listing.

UpNDown2.zip

• Like 3

Array Representation Methods In APL interpreter (on Atari 800) I don't understand this, but lots of assembly code!

this is a tiny slice of the pie, it does have the ml routines for a few of the APL functions used handle the arrays and some different methods involved to find the most compact memory use and fast method to move around with arrays. APL used what some called symbols(graphical characters representing the function) and worked from right to left on mathematical expressions... this was not close to the order of operations you would expect today. This language was widely used, it's hard to believe so many no nothing about it today....

Thank you for this, btw there were mentions of such things in ancient issues of byte magazine. The listing and descriptions would allow for re creating the disks used though not precisely, but would be basically what was.

DMSC might find this interesting as well. This is the small tip of the iceberg. If you can find more of this and others we may find a great deal of software and uses the Atari had, I am still searching for Astronomy programs and Astrological plots that have got to be hiding somewhere..... as some gopher servers and possibly the data from educational main frames get resurrected we reclaim some of these treasures... it would also give hints and leads on who to track down or even where the equipment may still be sitting, in some dark forgotten pile stacked in the deep recesses of these educational institutions.

Please Sir, can we have some more!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the source code for Buck Rogers, from our new old friend Charlie Kulas. Who's going to be the hero to convert it to text?

attachicon.gifBuck Rogers.pdf

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2018-05-17 at 5.26.03 PM.png

Here's a reasonable facsimile of the printout. It is certain to contain errors and some omissions, for a few reasons.

1. It is incomplete. The listing itself has 42 errors due to missing data, and some of the data at the end of the listing is after the LIST -L directive, so it wasn't printed when the assembly was done.
  2. The SORCIM 6502 Assembler will only output 5 bytes per line, so there's no way to validate long data lines against the assembly output.
  3. I had a hard time differentiating E from F in many parts of the listing. The lined paper it was printed on sometimes caused the OCR to convert an F to an E.
  4. I didn't transcribe all of the symbol cross references at the end of the file. I did clean up and include what the archive.org OCR recognized, and extended it in some places, but I don't have the time/interest right now to fill in the rest. Maybe in a month or two.

That said, I did write a validation script/MADS translator that I hope caught most of the errors, so the transcription of the code should be highly accurate.

To me, the most interesting feature of the code is the use of a small virtual machine to encode object movement, cf. NXTRPT in the listing.

buck1.zip

• Like 5

Hi there

I recently got my hands on an Atari Assembler Editor complete in box, and this one came with a Manual errata different from the one posted by Mr. Savetz.

I have scanned it and made a PDF of it. Here it is for you. Feel free to share it.

Kind regards,

Louis BQ

Atari_Assembler_Editor_User's_Manual_Errata.pdf

• Like 5

Hi there

I recently got my hands on an Atari Assembler Editor complete in box, and this one came with a Manual errata different from the one posted by Mr. Savetz.

I have scanned it and made a PDF of it. Here it is for you. Feel free to share it.

Kind regards,

Louis BQ

I’ll have to check my copy as well. I know it came with a lot of corrections. I was very surprised back in the day at the amount of errors.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it, and uploaded to Internet Archive with the other one. Thanks!

Hi there

Kind regards,

Louis BQ

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Here's an updated transcription of the Buck Rodgers listing, with the cross reference section now completely filled in. The other three limitations to the transcription remain, namely:

• It is incomplete. The listing itself has 42 errors due to missing data, and some of the data at the end of the listing is after the LIST -L directive, so it wasn't printed when the assembly was done.
  • The SORCIM 6502 Assembler will only output 5 bytes per line, so there's no way to validate long data lines against the assembly output.
  • I had a hard time differentiating E from F in many parts of the listing. The lined paper it was printed on sometimes caused the OCR to convert an F to an E.

buck2.zip

• 2 months later...

Here's some wonderful new material provided by our friend Harry Stewart, and scanned by me.

https://archive.org/details/ColleenHardwareManualVersionA

https://archive.org/details/ColleenHardwareManualVersionB

Undated, circa 1978? The author is not noted on the document. This is certainly the earliest technical description of the Atari 8-bit computers that I have seen. Version A is charmingly handwritten. A lot of this material will be expanded to become the Atari 400/800 Hardware Manual.

https://archive.org/details/AtariA1200OperatingSystemManualSupplement

Second draft of the manual for the "Atari A1200" computer, which would be renamed Atari 1200XL prior to release. Manual dated November 30 1982, by Robert A. Peck. It primarily shows the differences between the 1200 and its predecessors, the Atari 400 and Atari 800. Near end end of the document, you'll see a memo by Harry Stewart (dated January 10, 1983) with suggested edits to the document.

https://archive.org/details/LNBUG5

Manual for LNBUG version 5, the 6500 Development System by Larry Nicholson of Cyan Engineering. The manuals for v2 and v6 were previously made available, though I don't think the software has come to light.

https://archive.org/details/AtariOperatingSystemUsersManualAugust1980

This is the earliest version of the Atari 400/800 Operating System Users Manual that I am aware of, dated August 15 1980 (there was already a November 1980 version online. The official public version wasn't released until 1982.) Lots of hand-written notes. Some of the document is ... rough.

Share the interesting things you find in these documents! /|\

—Kevin

• Like 6

Here's some wonderful new material provided by our friend Harry Stewart, and scanned by me.

https://archive.org/details/ColleenHardwareManualVersionA

https://archive.org/details/ColleenHardwareManualVersionB

Undated, circa 1978? The author is not noted on the document. This is certainly the earliest technical description of the Atari 8-bit computers that I have seen. Version A is charmingly handwritten. A lot of this material will be expanded to become the Atari 400/800 Hardware Manual.

https://archive.org/details/AtariA1200OperatingSystemManualSupplement

Second draft of the manual for the "Atari A1200" computer, which would be renamed Atari 1200XL prior to release. Manual dated November 30 1982, by Robert A. Peck. It primarily shows the differences between the 1200 and its predecessors, the Atari 400 and Atari 800. Near end end of the document, you'll see a memo by Harry Stewart (dated January 10, 1983) with suggested edits to the document.

https://archive.org/details/LNBUG5

Manual for LNBUG version 5, the 6500 Development System by Larry Nicholson of Cyan Engineering. The manuals for v2 and v6 were previously made available, though I don't think the software has come to light.

https://archive.org/details/AtariOperatingSystemUsersManualAugust1980

This is the earliest version of the Atari 400/800 Operating System Users Manual that I am aware of, dated August 15 1980 (there was already a November 1980 version online. The official public version wasn't released until 1982.) Lots of hand-written notes. Some of the document is ... rough.

Share the interesting things you find in these documents! /|\

—Kevin

Thanks for the archival efforts as well as the interviews! Love the preservation efforts here.

Here's a thought though. How cool would it be, to discover the original Candy and Colleen chicks that have our machines their code-names :)

• Like 1