IGNORED

Scramble (5200 Conversion)

nobody

Oh wow....Great port.......Space for bomb is great (would have loved another JS button but obviously that was not possible to keep it ok for real machines..

Was playing the 5200 one and it is just great and hoped for a computer port of that one..THANK YOU Homesoft..

Best Scramble we have had....

The authors only just thinking of a port of this :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Oh wow....Great port.......Space for bomb is great (would have loved another JS button but obviously that was not possible to keep it ok for real machines..

Was playing the 5200 one and it is just great and hoped for a computer port of that one..THANK YOU Homesoft..

Best Scramble we have had....

The authors only just thinking of a port of this :)

Apparently it is possible to use a Sega Genesis controller for two buttons and it has been done a few times:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233488-the-two-button-joystick-controversy/

Maybe SMS and Amiga controllers as well. I believe it uses pin 9. I know there are at least three games where the same 2-button scheme has been done on the Atari 2600 as well. Omega Race, with the Booster Grip, Stay Frosty 2 and the recent 2600 Scramble, with the Genesis controller.

• Like 1

I do think it would be better if you asked politely for an 8-bit computer version from the programmer - as it would then have all what is expected from it - for that version.

Harvey

Well, the arcade version uses a standard 8 way joystick, so what the original creator of the 5200 version did was already straying from the original (he used the analogue stick to make the ship maneuver differently depending on how far you push it).

So, having just one button is the only real issue here. Now using the space bar and the joystick button works....but I would prefer to have two keys, one for bombs, one for fire.

But yeah, asking nicely wouldn't have hurt....but it's out of the box now....

By the way, you can select if you want to shoot and drop bombs at the same time by pushing number 6 on the set-up screen....but that is like playing Robotron with just one joystick....

I need an arcade joystick with two-button set-up, which preferably has the second button hard-wired to the space button combo so that it works on all those games that use space for "bombs" etc. (like Dropzone !)

Edited by Level42

Oh well, it would have been nice to have been asked.

I was going to see if I could get the difficulty right in PAL mode.

And assuming I was successful ABBUC have missed out on a disk submission.

Anyway here's my mine which will support the Sega controller. Tunnels are normal by default (the wide option was for the 5200 non-centering stick). Also P is for Pause, R is for Reset. The rest is probably the same.

scramble.xex

• Like 26

Anyway here's my mine which will support the Sega controller. Tunnels are normal by default (the wide option was for the 5200 non-centering stick). Also P is for Pause, R is for Reset. The rest is probably the same.

I would agree it is a faux pas at the very least.

Thanks for this. Is this a conversion of your 5200 version or a dedicated 8-bit version?

• Like 1

A side note:

You'll know that Scramble was missing in action - for the Atari's for a long time - and we were not the only ones missing out on a proper conversion of it.

There was a 'Let's Compare Scramble' video put out some years ago - on Youtube - and it's only in recent years - that a C-64 one has turned up, a NES one (but for some strange reason this looks like a 2600 version/conversion of it) and one for the Texas Instruments (still a WIP?).

Anyway you can compare this version with all the others - and appreciate what work has gone into this one.

I was always a fan of the arcade original - though I was never that good at it.

Harvey

• Like 2

The numerical selection of game options at the start doesn't seem to work.

Also for the benefit of emulation users it'd be nice to have an alternate bomb key. I found that setting Z/X to fire/bomb for the 5200 version worked well. Of course on a real machine you'd not do that.

• Like 1

IMO what might work well for bomb on the computer - have autofire with bomb when the button is released. That would maintain a decent spread of bullets and give some precision which is so lacking when you have to use keys with a joystick.

For reference here's a wee video of some C64 Scramble clones - some are utter shite, the enhanced Anirog and recent homebrew (incomplete) ones are pretty good though.

Thanks for this. Is this a conversion of your 5200 version or a dedicated 8-bit version?

It's just a modification to make it execute on the Atari 8-bit computers. They share the same hardware, no need for a dedicated new version.

• Like 1

The numerical selection of game options at the start doesn't seem to work.

Also for the benefit of emulation users it'd be nice to have an alternate bomb key. I found that setting Z/X to fire/bomb for the 5200 version worked well. Of course on a real machine you'd not do that.

I don't understand the emulation dilemma. I believe with Joy2Key you can set any key to anything you like on a two button joystick.

Well, it's apparently my birthday. This is one hell of a good port. So good, I think I like it better than the arcade, much the same way as the 8-bit Bosconian port.

Incredibly well done, thanks so much for doing this, I will play the hell out of it!

• Like 2

I agree. One of the things I love is that it is now a horizontal game. I never understood why Konami thought it was a good idea to make a side-scrolling game with a vertical monitor. But to their defense: most games were vertical at that time and Scramble is pretty much the first side-scroller :D

I would absolutely love it to be able to use Z and X for fire and bomb like Rybags suggests but then for the real hardware. Indeed with emulators you can configure stuff like this, not on real hardware.

I agree that it could have been asked nicely to do the conversion. Playsoft didn't say he would _not_ do the conversion, he just had some second thoughts (and ideas obviously, regarding PAL) about it as far as I understand it from his comments on the 5200 version thread.

With a nifty little device called AntiX the NTSC/PAL issue is not that essential anymore by the way....I'm running Scramble just fine at NTSC speed on my PAL 600XL :)

Edited by Level42

Reading the history of the Scramble coin-op - it says it does use (or should I say reuse?) Galaxian hardware - which would explain why it uses a vertical monitor. You would guess extra chips would be in use - to say enable scrolling? and to add the needed landscape. (This was not the first game to have a proper scrolling landscape?)

Atari 8-bit computer users should not download the hacked 5200 version - at the top of the page - but download instead the official version - which is 1/2 way down the page - and get hold of a Genesis/MegaDrive gamepad - so that you can use two fire buttons - as per the coin-op. Or put such a gamepad on their shopping list. Hopefully more and more programmers would start using this nice gamepad - and hackers could hack older games which would benefit from using it.

I don't know you'd prefer using Z and X keys - whereas the Genesis gamepad seems to be the far better option?

Harvey

• Like 2

I would think this game now becomes the best "long form" h-scrolling shooter.

I'd not really include the likes of Defender and Drop Zone in the same classification - they have a rapidly repeating wraparound world which doesn't really participate much in the gameplay or pose hazard to the player.

• Like 1

Thanks Rybags, its a nice reminder of just how far the coders have come, same machine, same memory, same restraints but look at the scramble clone at the end...Played it to death when it came out and as a person who struggled to blow up the base at the end it was a nice reminder how well non Mame / arcade machine could recreate the classics we loved...

Blowing the base at the end is easy.

You have to shoot it not bomb it. Manouver your ship to let it be just in front of the....base.....what is it anyway LOL....and fire.

Kiwilove: I prefer joysticks over pads. However, how does the support of the second button of the Sega pad work ? By connecting it to the second joystick port ?

In that case it’s easy enough to build a proper arcade like control panel with arcade joystick and arcade buttons :)

• Like 1