IGNORED

SIO Wifi modem with esp8266

mozzwald

• 2 weeks later...

My noob assertion of this wonderfull topic.

I got a 850 that I might be able to buy solely to use with either :

Is is still worthwhile to bother with an 850 ?

Stefan, could I build a similar device like yours or will this design be available for sale also ?

eed002, if I understand correctly you're building a more complete all-in-1 SIO solution ?

Another option would be to build an R-Verter and hookup the WiModem232 but again not sure wether this is the right way to go nor do I find conclusive build schemas for an R-verter.

The R-verter looks like a pretty easy device though so I'm a bit suprised that it's not being sold by anybody.

Have you used your Smartphone to type in your last message?

I had the same issue last time, couldn't explain myself why

I made a double post.

Would be funny to know if the problem is forum or smartphone

related.

Stefan

I've seen this happen from desktop as well as on my Android tablet, and learned a way to avoid it. Basically if you submit the post, but the browser remains busy for much longer than normal, do not press the submit button again. Instead open up a 2nd browser tab and navigate to the forum topic you are trying to post in. If you see that your post has indeed been sent and received, then close that first browser tab and call it a success.

• Like 1

My noob assertion of this wonderfull topic.

I got a 850 that I might be able to buy solely to use with either :

Is is still worthwhile to bother with an 850 ?

Stefan, could I build a similar device like yours or will this design be available for sale also ?

eed002, if I understand correctly you're building a more complete all-in-1 SIO solution ?

Another option would be to build an R-Verter and hookup the WiModem232 but again not sure wether this is the right way to go nor do I find conclusive build schemas for an R-verter.

The R-verter looks like a pretty easy device though so I'm a bit suprised that it's not being sold by anybody.

Dear Lastic,

you may use www.datentraegerkonvertierung.de/gast/Atari_WiFi_w_Oled.zip

(or parts of it) for your disposal. I will not sell it, because my

spare time is very limited. I'm sorry but its hardly enough for my own

demand.

It is in fact just a part of the RVerter Device but without the

RS232 Level Shifter.

It would be even easier without the IC used, because someone

could implement its logic into the program used for the ESP chip.

Stefan

Hi All,

I have a question on how to provide external +5VDC to SIO devices in general and to this esp8266-verter frankenstein (sio2esp sio2wifi sio wifi thing) in particular.

Right now I am using +5V/ready atari line. But I want external power supply. How I know this two different power supplies (with different references) when connected will not produce a Short circuit. Or if I connect the grounds together I am not making a huge ground loop.

I tried to understand the 1010 circuit to see how that is implemented, but I couldn't. Maybe I need to check the schematics of the 1030 modem.

Maybe I don't need to connect both 5VDC together and leave +5V/Ready alone, and just connect gnd, so DataIn DataOut have a common reference... I don't know. As you can noticed I am a bit confused regarding this issue of using different power supplies for different devices and then connecting these devices together.

Stefan, How did you do it?

Hi All,

I have a question on how to provide external +5VDC to SIO devices in general and to this esp8266-verter frankenstein (sio2esp sio2wifi sio wifi thing) in particular.

Stefan, How did you do it?

www.datentraegerkonvertierung.de/gast/Atari_WiFi_w_Oled.zip

Inside the zip, you'll find a pdf. Page 4 should describe,

what you looking for.

Greetings

Stefan

• Like 2

Thanks for calling my BBS. I upped your access level.

Your BBS made it to the first place in my EEprom default settings. ;)

The "RVerter ESP Thing" seems to work fine, however I have a lot of

question(s) (marks) left (in my head).

I made a print of the BOBTerm manual, so the program related

questions should be answered after reading it.

However, I fail in the simplest way to operate the Atari itselfe...

How to type in an apostrophe for example...? :?

A lot to learn... everything is so different if the flag of ones homebase

has a chicken head... :roll:

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I finally moved my Wifi-thing to a Atari 1030. It works great!. I took the 5V from the 1030 and connected to the required SIO signals(gnd, din, dout and motor).

The great thing is that the Atari 1030 modem is still working along with the Wifi-thing if I want. I guess, all my previous problems were due to the weak 5V coming from SIO, that could not provide enough juice to the ESP-01.

I really recommend this solution. First, the Atari 1030 design just looks gorgeous beside the Atari 1050. Secondly, it has a good power supply (with front panel switch), and 2 SIO connectors, so it both provides enough juice to the esp-01 and it can be located any place in the daisy chain.

Finally, as I said, the 1030 modem keeps its functionality, if you want to go really old school, and make a BBS phone call.

post-49742-0-71074500-1534124094_thumb.jpg

Edited by manterola
  • Like 4

Hi everyone,

I finally moved my Wifi-thing to a Atari 1030. It works great!. I took the 5V from the 1030 and connected to the required SIO signals(gnd, din, dout and motor).

The great thing is that the Atari 1030 modem is still working along with the Wifi-thing if I want. I guess, all my previous problems were due to the weak 5V coming from SIO, that could not provide enough juice to the ESP-01.

I really recommend this solution. First, the Atari 1030 design just looks gorgeous beside the Atari 1050. Secondly, it has a good power supply (with front panel switch), and 2 SIO connectors, so it both provides enough juice to the esp-01 and it can be located any place in the daisy chain.

Finally, as I said, the 1030 modem keeps its functionality, if you want to go really old school, and make a BBS phone call.

Finally a common sense approach in putting similarly functioning and utilized devices together inside the same case.. One UP! cheers.

• Like 1

Does what you're doing work with my current PLATOTerm build (this is very early, may work, may not, please let me know so I can fix it immediately.)

plato.atr

-Thom

It got stuck in saving preferences, I pressed break and I got the same options: I) d) b) t) s) e)

I press exit, and it got stuck in loading touch driver.

I can do break again, and it display the menu again, this time exit does nothing. I kept trying to change the touch device, but it doesn't make anything different

so far it's load and select config, reboot, options to set baud rate etc.... reboot... time out the config and terminal loads yet again, now you will get the c... then you can ATDT or ATDI 96.226.245.179/8005

or replace the slash with a comma or colon depending on your serial to lan device/bridge...

I wouldn't suggest connecting to cybis unless you use tlp... there's more work to be done for sure...

Edited by _The Doctor__