IGNORED

Chaotic Grill (BurgerTime remake) in progress

splendidnut

Well that's interesting... Do you happen to have a reference for that mention in Zeropage Homebrew? I'd be interested in seeing it. I kind of went looking for it thru one of the videos... skimmed it a bit... but didn't stumble upon it I will say that Zeropage Homebrews is a very neat concept.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/300941832##

go to the 49:10 mark .... they talk about Dishwasher game and Burgertime

How about some burger dropping action?

Burger dropping seems to be working properly now...

FYI, music is currently turned off in this build because it was getting annoying... that and it makes it easier to hear the rudimentary sound effects. :)

Awesome!!!!

Great work Philip, this is looking and playing really well! :)

As a side note... Back in March, I was contacted by another homebrew developer who was/is very interested in doing a Burgertime remake. Whether this person wants to reveal themselves or not, is up to them.

So it's quite possible there will be a Burgertime remake in the near future... whether it's this one, or that one.

That's me! :) Last March I visiting the Free Play Arcade in Providence, RI, and one of the games I played was BurgerTime. As it turns out, it's one of my girlfriend's favorite games so she asked if I had plans to make a version for the 2600. Inspired, I went home and spent a few hours putting together a POC and shared it with Nathan Strum (who does all the graphics for my games) to see what his thoughts were; he mentioned that Philip was working on a remake (which I was not aware of) so we touched base to 'compare notes'. I'm not sure what the plans are for my version, but the way Philip's is shaping up I may end up putting my efforts towards my many other projects instead. :D

For those of you who are interested, here are a few screenshots of the POC; the big difference is that I decided to use an alternating PF color to allow the ladders/platforms/condiments to be different colors, but I think Philip's method may work better for the moving condiments since mine would have to move in increments of 2:

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/album/2275-burgertime-wip-pics/

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 6

Over the past week, I ended up doing a lot of rework on the burger dropping code which spilled into reworking the level layout data structure which then spilled into the player/enemy movement code. The results:

- Burger dropping appears to be completely functioning.

- There are now 3 (three) levels included with the ability to rotate thru using the SELECT switch.

- Enemies will appear to get stuck on occasion... this is part of a patch I added to prevent an infinite loop from occurring.

Here is the updated version:

chaoticGrill-2018-09-05.bin

• Like 7

Heya Splendidnut! We're doing an 'early WIP homebrew' special episode tomorrow on ZeroPage Homebrew and thought Chaotic Grill would fit in perfectly. :-)

We'll be broadcasting LIVE on Twitch tomorrow (Friday) at 2PM PT/5PM ET, so I hope you can make it! If not, you can catch the episode in our YouTube archives the next day. Hopefully see you there in the chat!

Twitch LiveStreams: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

YouTube Channel: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew

Over the past week, I ended up doing a lot of rework on the burger dropping code which spilled into reworking the level layout data structure which then spilled into the player/enemy movement code. The results:

- Burger dropping appears to be completely functioning.

- There are now 3 (three) levels included with the ability to rotate thru using the SELECT switch.

- Enemies will appear to get stuck on occasion... this is part of a patch I added to prevent an infinite loop from occurring.

Here is the updated version:

post-37205-0-95226600-1536302050_thumb.png

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 1

Heya Splendidnut! We're doing an 'early WIP homebrew' special episode tomorrow on ZeroPage Homebrew and thought Chaotic Grill would fit in perfectly. :-)

We'll be broadcasting LIVE on Twitch tomorrow (Friday) at 2PM PT/5PM ET, so I hope you can make it! If not, you can catch the episode in our YouTube archives the next day. Hopefully see you there in the chat!

Twitch LiveStreams: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

YouTube Channel: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew

Thanks for letting me know... I enjoyed watching.

• Like 1

Time for a buggy update. I've added the ability to give the enemies a ride on the burgers with the additions necessary for the burger pieces to drop multiple platforms when an enemy is riding. It's a bit buggy... sometimes a burger gets stuck between platforms, and sometimes the enemy doesn't ride the burger. But it's fun to have the ability to send the enemies for a ride.

Also... added another level... for testing purposes of course... SELECT switches levels.

To summarize:

- Enemies can now ride burgers... (buggy)

- Enemies are stunned afterwards.

- Burgers can fall more the one platform... triggered by enemy riding... (buggy)

- Added a level... now there are 4.

Enjoy.

chaoticGrill-2018-09-08.bin

Edited by splendidnut
  • Like 10

Hey Splendidnut, amazing version you have.. it's really coming along...

If I can make one gameplay suggestion, one you may already be making, it would be..

When setting a "trap" for the food guys, can you make it where if you set up the trap to give a ride a bit too early and just camp there, they try to go around and kill you the other direction?

I noticed in the arcade if you wait for them on the edge of a bun or something that the food usually goes around that and comes from behind or below you.

I also noticed in the arcade if you are trying to get them to chase you so you can either squish them or give them a ride they will often go down or up a ladder at the last second to foil your plan.

Sometimes it feels like the arcade "flips" a coin to decide when food decides to continue to chase you or use a ladder to go around you, I am sure there is logic I have not figured out ha ha.

Looking forward to seeing more of your very much needed game, as the original one from the 80s was blocky and weird.. haha..

Hey Splendidnut, amazing version you have.. it's really coming along...

If I can make one gameplay suggestion, one you may already be making, it would be..

When setting a "trap" for the food guys, can you make it where if you set up the trap to give a ride a bit too early and just camp there, they try to go around and kill you the other direction?

I noticed in the arcade if you wait for them on the edge of a bun or something that the food usually goes around that and comes from behind or below you.

I also noticed in the arcade if you are trying to get them to chase you so you can either squish them or give them a ride they will often go down or up a ladder at the last second to foil your plan.

Sometimes it feels like the arcade "flips" a coin to decide when food decides to continue to chase you or use a ladder to go around you, I am sure there is logic I have not figured out ha ha.

Looking forward to seeing more of your very much needed game, as the original one from the 80s was blocky and weird.. haha..

Thanks!

My understanding of the enemy movement is that the enemies are suppose to alternate between taking ladders and platforms... with a preference for ladders. Which might explain the "coin flipping" and "last second" direction change that you're seeing. I think the pickle might be different... as he seems to take a more straight/direct path towards the player. Let me know if this lines up with what you're seeing.

My current implementation of enemy movement is overly simple... and gets tripped up because it doesn't properly identify intersections... which is the main cause of the enemies getting stuck on the ladder. I've been putting off redoing the enemy movement code while I concentrated on the burger dropping logic (one of the most important aspects of the game). But now that I'm starting to work on the enemy squashing code, my overly simple enemy logic is working against me. So that'll probably jump up the priority list.

Time for another update... not much different from the previous one... except for bug fixes!

Mutliple enemies riding on the burgers and burger then dropping the appropriate levels - that all seems to be working now.

I've now started work on enemy squashing, which isn't working yet, so it's been disabled.

Please let me know if you stumble upon any bugs.

Enjoy.

chaoticGrill-2018-09-15.bin

• Like 1

Time for another update... not much different from the previous one... except for bug fixes!

Mutliple enemies riding on the burgers and burger then dropping the appropriate levels - that all seems to be working now.

I've now started work on enemy squashing, which isn't working yet, so it's been disabled.

Please let me know if you stumble upon any bugs.

Enjoy.

bug? ....Mr. Pickle fell down with the top of the burger below the floor.....

post-2652-0-75407500-1537067764.png

Splendidnut, I went ahead and studied some Burgertime game play and I think you are right on the money when you say the enemies kind of make a decision to use a ladder or not when they are coming toward you.

In fact here is a blurb from someone doing a writeup from Cheapassgamer..

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/blog/1358/entry-8842-classic-arcade-game-of-the-week-62409-burgertime/

Here is the quote..

"What made BurgerTime extremely challenging was how the enemy foods were programmed to seek out and attack the player. I hesitate to use the term "enemy AI" here, as that's giving Mr. Egg, Mr. Hotdog and Mr. Pickle too much credit, but they were insidious nonetheless. Instead of taking a direct line to the player, they would take right-angle routes, making planning attacks difficult. "

The poster said Mr Pickle followed that same logic, but he may not be aware that Mr. Pickle may be a bit more "intelligent". I think I agree with you that making one or two of them "intelligent" with the others following that right-angle route would be fun.

Of course I wonder how the game would play if they all were intelligent? Maybe a "Hard" mode?

One more thing I never knew about the arcade was:

At level 28 and beyond the food gets a speed boost for like 90 sec..

From strategywiki

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/BurgerTime/Walkthrough#Beyond_Stage_28

"The game will continue normally until stage 28. Starting on stage 28 the enemies move about 2 1/2 times faster than they did before. After 90 seconds (if you can survive that long on one chef), they slow down to a crawl, moving one step every 5 seconds. You can still die if you run into the enemies. The chefs speed never changes."

That might be fun to have changing speed in the hard mode that changes the speed of the food every so often or when you grab a prize or complete a burger for some amount of seconds, or something like that..

In any case your game is looking so great, regardless if you like any of these ideas, I am sure you game is going to be the best version for this system...

Time for an update... with New Sprite Graphics done by NostAlgae37

Other things updated:

• Fixed the bug Arenafoot found - enemies should no longer fall thru condiments on the piles at the bottom.
  • Enemies can now be squashed/killed by falling condiments.

Enjoy.

post-42568-0-33570300-1537618163_thumb.png

chaoticGrill-2018-09-21.bin

• Like 9