IGNORED

SIO Wifi modem with esp8266

mozzwald

Mr. Atari,

can't get litedos to copy to mio ramdisk, or even to a MyIDE hard drive/cf card... it might read from them but it sure won't write to them. I did get it to init but not copy....

Interestingly bobterm1.23? will control rts and dtr on the MIO in that when accessing a disk drive directory it will drop rts or when hanging up it will drop dtr... this is a desirable behavior at higher speeds, not sure if it triggers at buffer high water mark for terminal but it might.... I was only able to play with it in the litedos environment. I will look for some old dos 2 or 2.5 disks and see if I can get them moved off the litedos disk in some way. Sparta X said no way, as did 3.2... so off we go.

of course 130XE ntsc, mio or myide+flash... not tried it on black box yet, but I won't be formatting a hard drive partition to a litedos only format... :)

I tried MyIDE-only, created a new paritition, 8mb SD.

OK, thanks for the feedback, formatting a partition has a bug....

Actualy it does not really format.

It just copy LiteDOS to it and write the VTOC, but I forget to erase the directory sectors....

I try to fix this today.

The partition is bootable and boots just fine, but the directory id full of garbage, so no way you can save/copy to it.

And I haven't made a LiteDEL or LiteREN tool yet....

• Like 2

Ok.. This is what - I guess - needs to be done to connect using the original at firmware:

AT
AT+GMR
AT+CWMODE=1
AT+CIFSR
AT+CWJAP_DEF="replace with wifi name","replace with password"
AT+CWAUTOCONN=1
AT+UART_DEF?
AT+UART_DEF=9600,8,1,0,0 set comm params
AT+CIPMODE=1 transparent mode or everything get ipd prefix
AT+CIPMUX=0 no multiplexing
AT+CIPSTART="TCP","vintagebbsing.com",2325 this is one example
AT+CIPSEND to start sending your stuff to the server

That looks pretty close to what I was doing. I'll try one final time to use the stock firmware to see if I can fix the problem. Thank you.

Now regarding the Zimodem firmware. The way I did it was just send a pre-compiled version to the esp-01. It turned out that the version has problems saving changes (like wifi pasword or address book).
This is a known bug of some esp-01s:
So I ended up installing arduino and compiling Zimodem by myself. I also took advantage of having the code and set the default baud rate to 2400 and changed the Pet-ascii translation tables to Atascii-Ascii. All the menus and options still refers to pet-ascii translation (like atdp), I did not change that.
It was pretty straight forward to write the firmware to esp-01 if you don't need to compile. In Linux I used esptool.py. Not sure how it will work on windows or macosx, probably it will work. Find all about esptool.py in the website:
You need to do something like this to write the firmware (first you need to put the esp-01 in programming mode)
sudo esptool.py --baud 115200 --port /dev/ttyUSB0 --before no_reset --after no_reset write_flash --flash_mode qio 0x00000 zimodem.ino.generic.bin
I hope this help you guys in your endevoir
ps: not sure if this forum accept .bin, hopefully it will work.

Nice, My ESP programmer comes in Friday or Sat, as well as replacement ESP01 module. So I'll have a go at flashing the new firmware then. Thank you.

This is the little add-on for Atari 1030 for turning the "ready" led on using the esp-01

I've got a 1030 in the closet that is gathering dust. If I can get this going, would be a excellent reason to bring it out of storage. Thank you again. ;)

That looks pretty close to what I was doing. I'll try one final time to use the stock firmware to see if I can fix the problem. Thank you.

Nice, My ESP programmer comes in Friday or Sat, as well as replacement ESP01 module. So I'll have a go at flashing the new firmware then. Thank you.

I've got a 1030 in the closet that is gathering dust. If I can get this going, would be a excellent reason to bring it out of storage. Thank you again. ;)

First thing to do is send the "AT+GMR" to see what version yours is and the "AT Firmware". Sending the wrong AT commands after that could brick you new ESP-01 too...

Maybe you can draw the nand gates "inside box" to make circuit idea.more evident and less prone to errors

The error in the previous post (pic now deleted) was how I wired up RX and TX the first time which was the mistake.

I can visualize how the NAND Gates appear "in the box", it's really rather easy to do...

But I will make an easy to read schematic on how to follow the easy diagram :)

Just a small update.

SIOterm seems to be no good on modems, so I need another way to configure the hardware....

Currently adding a tiny terminal to my R-driver in the boot-strap-routine.

This will let you send/receive command/answers over SIO.

To setup and configure your ESP-01, prior to loading your terminal program.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

post-6668-0-25444300-1536307317.png

• Like 1

Following the sequence laid out by manaterola with the standard AT command set under the original firmware, I was able to connect to a BBS using direct connection between my Mega2560 and the ESP-01 using the serial monitor on the Arduino IDE under Windows 10. So it would appear that the ESP-01 module is working.

I have created a second protoboard with this exact wiring. Using the BOBTerm or ICE term programs from manaterola I am still unable to get a response from the ESP-01 for a simple AT command.

It's strange, because when I power cycle the ESP-01 I am getting two text messages from the ESP-01 indicating that it is connecting to my wifi and has an IP address when I am in terminal mode in both programs. So it would appear that at least the receive signal from the ESP-01 to the Atari is okay.

I don't know about the transmit signal from the Atari to the ESP-01 module. Or perhaps there is still a setting issue with the term programs.....

AG did you power your board from the SIO only? Also did you flash the ESP-01 to another firmware?

Edited by Dropcheck

What happens if you disconnect RX and

switch the power on?

What happens if you disconnect TX and

switch the power on?

In which case you get that startup

information?(I know it sounds strange,

but please test - and report it.

Stefan

Okay in BobTerm:

with the Receive line disconnected from the ESP-01 and the module power cycled

WIFI Got Connected

WIFI Got IP

with the Received line reconnected and the Transmit line disconnected and the module power cycled

No display

with the Receive and Transmitt lines swapped and the module power cycled

No display

Edited by Dropcheck

I am using my arduino monitor with FDTI / ESP01-adapter and ESP8266.

Set the monitor to 115200 and I got OK and firmware info (14 march 2018).

Then I used AT+UART_DEF=1200,8,1,0,0 to set the baud-rate down to what I need on the atari.

Answer was OK.

That was the last thing it replied.....

When I set the monitor to 1200 I get nothing, no reply.

Tried all baud-rates available in the monitor.

All I get is nothing or garbage reply....

Most readable garbage is around 9600-19200, but its nothing like "OK"

so, uh, help?

Edited by mr-atari

I am using my arduino monitor with FDTI / ESP01-adapter and ESP8266.

Set the monitor to 115200 and I got OK and firmware info (14 march 2018).

Then I used AT+UART_DEF=1200,8,1,0,0 to set the baud-rate down to what I need on the atari.

Answer was OK.

That was the last thing it replied.....

When I set the monitor to 1200 I get nothing, no reply.

Tried all baud-rates available in the monitor.

All I get is nothing or garbage reply....

Most readable garbage is around 9600-19200, but its nothing like "OK"

so, uh, help?

Try power cycling the ESP-01 module.

Esp-01 sends at every boot a message at 74880 rate (which is very very unusual baud rate). Every time I boot mine I see a few garbage characters and then zimodem kicks in at the right rate.
It is a very basic low level message.
My esp-01 was also "bricked" when arrived or I bricked it when tried to connect, and in my case that low level messages at 74880 told me that it could not load the program or something like that, kind of nothing at address XYZ.
That is why I ended up trying other firmwares.
The nice thing about that low level message is that it tells you if your device is in programming mode.
So I opened minicom, then used something called anybaud to set the baud rate to this weird number (not possible with minicom), then with the right pins to Gnd or 5v I put the esp-01 in programming mode and power it up. In minicom I saw the device was in programming mode, then I close minicom, and used esptool to flash a new firmware, at 115 or 9600, etc, any rate worked. I tried several firmwares, up to a point in which I was able to make it work again.
I will check my history in the Linux machine to see I could find the exact command and firmware that unbrick mine. But you can try meanwhile with the Zimodem bin I posted before.

Edit: corrected low level baud rate of ESP-01

Edited by manterola

Not 100% sure, but I guess this firmware and command made my esp-01 come back to life. After that I was able put Zimodem in my esp-01.

cd ESP8266_NONOS_SDK-2.1.0/bin/
sudo esptool.py --baud 115200 --port /dev/ttyUSB0 --before no_reset --after no_reset write_flash --flash_mode qio 0x00000 boot_v1.7.bin 0x01000 ./at/512+512/user1.1024.new.2.bin 0xfc000 esp_init_data_default.bin 0x7e000 blank.bin 0xfe000 blank.bin
In my case esp-01 was crazy throwing error mesages and rebooting. So the led didn't stop blink when power up. I got it to boot normally with this AT firmware. I tried to use this firmware, but it was so cumbersome. Then I switched to Zimodem. This is different to what you described in your case (mr-atari problem) but it might work.

ESP8266_NONOS_SDK-2.1.0.zip

Edited by manterola

Okay in BobTerm:

with the Receive line disconnected from the ESP-01 and the module power cycled

WIFI Got Connected

WIFI Got IP

with the Received line reconnected and the Transmit line disconnected and the module power cycled

No display

with the Receive and Transmitt lines swapped and the module power cycled

No display

Well... At least you got a message. That means the baudrate is

set correct.

Hm... I expected the message when receive line connected... Or do I mix it up?

Anyway. There is obviously no need to send something Atari - > ESP chip

to get that message ESP - > Atari... If you can't get an AT command working,

the receive line seems to be dead somehow...

But you can program / operate the esp chip by using an arduino?

then the chip itself is alive / not broken.

And also the level shifters are alive...

There must be something with the test setup... I suspect

the 7400 chip. But it must be in the receive line.

What kind of diode do you use? Is in in reverse direction?

Stefan

diodes have been discussion of sio for ages now, best to use low drop shottky etc.

try a substituted small 1N5819 or similar and work from there

same thing happened with SIO2SD, SDrive, rdev, and so many others depending on the mix of devices, it either wouldn't work with other connected devices or simply wouldn't talk, or if another device had wrong diodes, wouldn't work till they were fixed

looks to 1n5's not 1n4's

Edited by _The Doctor__

Well... At least you got a message. That means the baudrate is

set correct.

Hm... I expected the message when receive line connected... Or do I mix it up?

Anyway. There is obviously no need to send something Atari - > ESP chip

to get that message ESP - > Atari... If you can't get an AT command working,

the receive line seems to be dead somehow...

But you can program / operate the esp chip by using an arduino?

then the chip itself is alive / not broken.

And also the level shifters are alive...

There must be something with the test setup... I suspect

the 7400 chip. But it must be in the receive line.

What kind of diode do you use? Is in in reverse direction?

Stefan

but i told him to try without additional circuit, just the "adatper" board. So connect directly: rx<---Dout, tx--->Din, to rule out the esp-01 and adatper board. if it work is the diode or 74ls00. maybe you try again. if it doesn't work, but it work in a PC, then the only option left is a broken Adatper.

• Like 2