IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

True, it ain't difficult, but anything worth doing is worth doing right. A lot of folks who embark on one of those projects are more concerned about having a gaming rig than a good looking and functional cabinet. That's why so many bail half way through and do all the kludges and dumb control layouts. It takes attention to detail to really build something. You're talking about gamers here. I bet very few of them have the attention span to do these right. That's why there's a market for these retro things. Most of these folks want a cab, but aren't willing to put in the effort to build a good one. Drop a credit card and twist a few cams and there ya go....sort of. In any case, they usually become a dust collector within a couple months good or bad.

Bingo. Give that man a kewpie doll.

• Like 1

Well in-between designing, cutting & sanding boards yourself, and the twist a few cams and off you go options.. you can't forget the middle ground which is just buying a prefab shell from the various sellers which gets all that woodwork out of the way (although you still twist cams) and you just shove your stuff in it Just saying.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

lol I'm stealing it! :lol:

But yeah you guys know what I'm saying.. people sell the pre-fab shells you pop together and boom, the "craftmanship" part is out of the way.

Although I only know of barcade style since I called it a day when I found mine. I'm not sure of any larger sizes or even mini-cabs out there although I just recalled right now that I think someone posted a link to one (mini upright cabinet style) in an earlier post though..

post-31-0-55718200-1535663557_thumb.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

Well, a few thoughts here are:

1. I already said you would SAND the edge before painting it. Making it a decent looking smooth rounded/beveled edge with a cheap rotary or belt sander isn't difficult and looks just fine after it's painted. Obviously, we're not talking about using shitty OBX or other fall-aparticle board like the stuff this ikea furniture Arcade 1up build it yourself cab is made out of.

2. as for the guys on those forums - you're probably right - they would probably point out how awful their first cabs came out and how difficult it was for them. But then - I'd be going to a video game dork site for carpentry advice, so I wouldn't expect much less. I might go there for reviews of monitors or controllers, but I'm not looking to ask non-carpenters for carpentry advice, seeing as how I already have decades worth of professional carpentry experience, having worked in the construction industry for 25+ years.

You're not making much sense. This whole back-and-forth started when you made the point that the Arcade1ups are terrible value because, to paraphrase, it is such a straightforward and inexpensive thing to build something yourself. I pointed out that no, actually, there are other costs involved and it takes a heck of a lot of time, which is a major consideration for most people. Now, you're saying

I get it. This stuff is difficult if you've never done anything like it before, don't own the requisite tools, aren't mechanically inclined in general. I agree. It's not for everyone. But the assumption that it is super difficult and majorly time consuming for everyone, because your personal experience was like that is not a safe assumption.

Which is basically my whole point, from the beginning.

I'm not making assumptions, I'm speaking from direct observation and experience, and having spent almost 10 years interacting with hundreds of fellow hobbyists in the community who collectively have built hundreds of projects. Not a single one, ever, stating "hey, look at what I knocked together in a few hours this weekend!" To just broadly dismiss BYOAC as a bunch of lowly video gamers who couldn't possibly hold a candle to your masterful skills is pretty presumptuous. It's also pretty presumptuous to just assume that none of them are carpenters by trade, who happen to enjoy video games. Have you gone through the project database over there?

But yeah you guys know what I'm saying.. people sell the pre-fab shells you pop together and boom, the "craftmanship" part is out of the way.

Yup, and while everybody's areas are different, old empty arcade cabinets in the CT area run from 50-100$, mostly only needing some putty and a coat of paint. Some even have good monitors/controls still.

The idea of building one COMPLETELY from scratch seems to make sense ONLY if you want the challenge or have extreme standards/ideas you need met. Though I admit, I kinda want to see a high-quality wood/all wood grain/stained and finished from scratch arcade now. Sounds kinda sweet.

• Like 1

You're not making much sense. This whole back-and-forth started when you made the point that the Arcade1ups are terrible value because, to paraphrase, it is such a straightforward and inexpensive thing to build something yourself. I pointed out that no, actually, there are other costs involved and it takes a heck of a lot of time, which is a major consideration for most people. Now, you're saying

Which is basically my whole point, from the beginning.

I'm not making assumptions, I'm speaking from direct observation and experience, and having spent almost 10 years interacting with hundreds of fellow hobbyists in the community who collectively have built hundreds of projects. Not a single one, ever, stating "hey, look at what I knocked together in a few hours this weekend!" To just broadly dismiss BYOAC as a bunch of lowly video gamers who couldn't possibly hold a candle to your masterful skills is pretty presumptuous. It's also pretty presumptuous to just assume that none of them are carpenters by trade, who happen to enjoy video games. Have you gone through the project database over there?

It's not about my masterful skills. My original point was that cost-wise, you CAN build a full size cabinet for the same ballpark as these Arcade 1up midget cardboard cabinets, and get a lot more value out of it because you have control over the games it plays, better build quality, and the controller layout. etc. You decided to derail a bit and point out how time consuming and difficult it is. I don't see it that way, and to be honest, basic woodworking and box-building is mostly common sense to me. But I understand, not everyone is mechanically inclined, so it won't be as simple for others.

• Like 1

No hate coming from me.. I've been pretty excited about the trackball/spinner games.

But, that Instagram video definitely gave me pause. Because 1, Spinner looks stiff, and 2, the LCD screen looks like a standard cheapo with really lousy viewing angles. I mean look at it.. Strange that they'd use this video if that's not the impression they wanted to give.

post-31-0-26591500-1535754714_thumb.jpg

Not rushing to judgement at all though.. I'll wait until I see one and get my hands on it to decide how much I want it.

• Like 2

Walmart.ca has these for pre-order as well. 500 CDN...but no option for the booster cab.

The Asteroids one looks interesting, at least the controls are correct. I will definitely wait for the reviews. The good thing is that if Walmart sells it and it's turd?...just bring it back. Kinda can't lose. But 500 and tax is kinda expensive for so few games.

Walmart.ca has these for pre-order as well. 500 CDN...but no option for the booster cab.

The Asteroids one looks interesting, at least the controls are correct. I will definitely wait for the reviews. The good thing is that if Walmart sells it and it's turd?...just bring it back. Kinda can't lose. But 500 and tax is kinda expensive for so few games.

looking correct is the easy part.

how about the size, feel, response, and durability of them.

thats way more important.

and the fact that the arcade version had lots more room for your wrists.

the flat horizontal layout may also cause issues, compared to the nice slant of the arcade version.

and thats just for starters.

later

After considering my options I canceled my pre-order at Best Buy for the Atari Deluxe machine and instead pre-ordered Centipede from Gamestop.

Several reasons including I like the artwork better on the Centipede, horizontal vs. vertical display, and money. I swapped in my old PS4 that's been collecting dust since I last played Wither 3 on it and out of pocket it was just around $100 shipped. I may end up getting a riser or I may not. Depends on how comfortable I am playing on a stool I already have.

• Like 1

After considering my options I canceled my pre-order at Best Buy for the Atari Deluxe machine and instead pre-ordered Centipede from Gamestop.

Several reasons including I like the artwork better on the Centipede, horizontal vs. vertical display, and money. I swapped in my old PS4 that's been collecting dust since I last played Wither 3 on it and out of pocket it was just around $100 shipped. I may end up getting a riser or I may not. Depends on how comfortable I am playing on a stool I already have.

I'm thinking the same thing. I ordered the Centipede cab and then ordered the Atari Deluxe. I was going to cancel my Walmart order but now I think that I don't want the deluxe for the same reasons you are stating.

I'm thinking the same thing. I ordered the Centipede cab and then ordered the Atari Deluxe. I was going to cancel my Walmart order but now I think that I don't want the deluxe for the same reasons you are stating.

It's an individual choice. The Atari Deluxe is a good value, more games, some exclusive games like Asteroids Deluxe and Gravitar, a riser included in the package, etc...

But after thinking it through I really wanted a cab that's as close to authentic as possible. I like the side art on the Atari Deluxe well enough the way they did Centipede on one side and Asteroids on the other. And the marquee as well. But man that control panel is as plain Jane as they come so that was a strike against it. And I'm not crazy about the bezel art compared to the Centipede which is spot on except for the Arcade1up logo. Had the game play in the vector games looked better in what little I've seen of them it might have swayed me more. I really like Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, and Gravitar, but from what I've seen that crappy blue screen is really ugly for those games.

As they say, different strokes for different folks. Some won't care about the artwork and getting 12 games with a trackball and spinner is a good deal compared to the other offerings. And who knows, if I ever see a decent video review of the vector games I may change my mind. Seems like most of what's getting reviewed is the SF2 cabs.

It's an individual choice. The Atari Deluxe is a good value, more games, some exclusive games like Asteroids Deluxe and Gravitar, a riser included in the package, etc...

But after thinking it through I really wanted a cab that's as close to authentic as possible. I like the side art on the Atari Deluxe well enough the way they did Centipede on one side and Asteroids on the other. And the marquee as well. But man that control panel is as plain Jane as they come so that was a strike against it. And I'm not crazy about the bezel art compared to the Centipede which is spot on except for the Arcade1up logo. Had the game play in the vector games looked better in what little I've seen of them it might have swayed me more. I really like Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, and Gravitar, but from what I've seen that crappy blue screen is really ugly for those games.

As they say, different strokes for different folks. Some won't care about the artwork and getting 12 games with a trackball and spinner is a good deal compared to the other offerings. And who knows, if I ever see a decent video review of the vector games I may change my mind. Seems like most of what's getting reviewed is the SF2 cabs.

So I've pre-ordered both the Atari from Best Buy, and the Centipede cab from Walmart.

I wasn't planning on getting the 4 game Asteroids cab in the first place, as it just didn't "grab" me the way the other cabs did. I think if they had stuck with Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe and was it also Breakout (?) shown on one of the proto cabs I might have been more interested.

So I'm not buying the Atari cab for the "Centipede" games, I'm buying it for the other Atari games, and the riser. I think it will be a cool piece, and even though it duplicates the Centipede cab games, I like each as a separate machine.

And that's exactly what I'm telling my Wife if she asks why I bought 2 cabs with the same games... (that, or I'll deflect the conversation by pointing out the Rampage and Galaga cabs...)

Seems like most of what's getting reviewed is the SF2 cabs.

Yeah exactly.. and that is the most unremarkable one.. If someone's got an emulation cab, they got Street Fighter.

Anyway I'm so ready to pull the trigger on that Atari Deluxe but I keep balking because it simply doesn't look as good! I wish they had just kept a single game's artwork like the other ones lol..

Edited by NE146

The control panel on the deluxe sucks compared to the straight Asteroids one. I think if I want Asteroids I'll go for the dedicated cabinet and skip the extra games.

The control panel on the deluxe sucks compared to the straight Asteroids one. I think if I want Asteroids I'll go for the dedicated cabinet and skip the extra games.

I'm curious why you say the control panel sucks in comparison? It looks like it's more or less the same basic layout you get with either of the standard cabinets.

Anyway, the only two things I really have concerns with with the Deluxe at this point is that the artwork is not as nice as the individual cabinets and I'm hoping that the monitor orientation is not going to be annoying with some of the games. Otherwise, I can't really think of much else, including the control panel, as potential pain points.

I thought that review was good and honest, probably the best I've seen so far. I do wish they would have shown more actual game play though. They've put up a link just for that if you want to skip the other parts of the live stream.

As for the control panel on the Atari Deluxe machine, I won't say it sucks but what turned me off was the generic look of it and lack of artwork. They did a nice enough job with the side art and marquee and it would have been nice to see them carry that over to the control panel. As is, it's just very plain looking which won't take away from how it functions but for me the look is a big factor.

And that secret machine they hinted at seems to be Space Invaders. Only one game included but man they nailed the authentic look of that cab, I love it.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8625906

Edited by Skeeter
  • Like 1

And that secret machine they hinted at seems to be Space Invaders. Only one game included but man they nailed the authentic look of that cab, I love it.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8625906

Among several "secret machines" that are really not that secret.

I do like the look of the Space Invaders cabinet, but I'd be surprised if that was the only game on it. That would be a tough sell, particularly without the awesome depth/mirror/artwork effect of the screen on an original machine (which I would probably snatch up in a second):

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

In the short part I watched I caught a reference to a previously-mentioned dissatisfaction with the Tempest spinner.. Anyone know the time where that is talked about? It's too hard for me to sit and watch more than a minute or two. :lol:

Among several "secret machines" that are really not that secret.

I do like the look of the Space Invaders cabinet, but I'd be surprised if that was the only game on it. That would be a tough sell, particularly without the awesome depth/mirror/artwork effect of the screen on an original machine (which I would probably snatch up in a second):

Yeah.. it's been said earlier but I think the consensus is they'll never do it. It's just too intricate.. and awesome.

post-31-0-51893500-1536355263.jpg

More likely just another Mame/emulation/etc solution where it's simulated.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1