IGNORED

Zaku for the Atari Lynx: Official thread

DeathAdderSF

Has anyone else noticed how the cart in the new production run of Zaku and the newly minted carts coming from Telegames are exactly identical? They have the same texture, exact same dimensions, and even have the same little square mark on the lower part of the right edge, wich is probably where the hole is placed through which plastic is injected in the mould.

post-61426-0-23741200-1537492200_thumb.jpg

post-61426-0-90148700-1537492218_thumb.jpg

post-61426-0-25633500-1537492239_thumb.jpg

This, together with the fact that Telegames started releasing games in new curved lip carts for the first time in 25 years on the very same month that Zaku was re-released, makes me think that Super Fighter Team and Telegames are probably sourcing their carts from the same manufacturer. Maybe minimum order was too large for either of them and they decided to order together from the same manufacturer (¿maybe from China, since carts for the first production run for Zaku were also manufactured in China?) and split costs. Or maybe Super Fighter Team ordered more carts than they needed and they are selling their excess blank carts to third parties.

Carl's anouncement that he will be re-stocking some of Songbird's releases with new carts and his apparent hint in another thread that they will be in curved carts make me wonder if his games will be released in the same carts Zaku and Telegames are apparently using?

Not that I think that any of this is wrong, quite the contrary in fact, but I'm really curious about the story behind these carts. Would be nice if Brandon, Carl or Pete could shed some light on this topic. :)

Edited by Juan José Torres
  • Like 1

Nice find. Creating the plastics with a 3D printer or using laser sintering is time consuming and expensive. Currently I am experimenting with bamboo. But I assume that homebrewers would be very interested in getting small amounts of these plastics as well. I would be interested in around 100 pieces.

• Like 1

Just thought everyone would like to know a while back I acquired a batch of Zaku carts directly from SFT. These are brand new with box and manual, of course. They will go up on the Songbird website this week for first come, first serve orders. Congrats once again to SFT for releasing such an impressive game both in terms of production and gameplay for Lynx fans. Get it while you can!

Now that's how I like to order games.

- Listed on website

- clicked button

- PayPal paid

Done.

I've ordered only Zaku so I will ask for the cheaper shipping please :)

Awesome to still be able to get it in a (IMHO) normal order process :) Thanks Carl !!!

• Like 1

After being on the fence I've ordered Zaku from Songbird as well. Even though it felt a bit like a steep price, I'm guessing I won't get another chance any time soon. The lower shipping to Europe did give me the last push I needed, so I'll gladly make use of that.

Looking forward to it and thanks Carl for putting them up this way :) .

• Like 2

Yes I had the same feelings exactly. It arrived safely yesterday without any troubles..

Although I’m not a collector at all, I must say it was fun looking at the box, opening it and reading the manual.

Sad thing is that I can’t play it yet because my Lynx is still laying open because of my latest hardware mod project....but I think I’ll assemble it since that project simply doesn’t want to work for some reason....

Just ordered mine from Telegames (UK), looking forward to it.

Been a Telegames (UK) customer since 1985, very reliable seller indeed. (Ordered Lynx games from him last few months, shipping usually 2 weeks tops)

Do you have the link to Zaku on Telegames UK site. I can't find it in search or through the entire Atari Lynx pages.

Do you have the link to Zaku on Telegames UK site. I can't find it in search or through the entire Atari Lynx pages.

Hi, BadPricey:

If you're in the US and you didn't notice this earlier in the thread, Songbird Productions is selling Zaku for $59.95 + $8 shipping. I got mine in less than a week. http://songbird-productions.com/catalog.shtml

If you're in the UK or Europe, Telegames (UK) is probably the better choice for shipping.

Eat. Sleep. LYNX. Repeat.

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

sml_gallery_40064_2064_644584.jpg

Edited by MillipedeMan

I've spent a few hours on Zaku last night and it's a great game so far :)

As it was getting too late, I had to stop at (one of the) final boss(es). As I can't seem to find the spoiler tag, I'm trying to keep it as vague as possible; The boss which spawns the 'mini-boss' Zouzzz posted about here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/151560-zaku-for-the-atari-lynx-official-thread/?p=4102656

I've been banging my head at that one for about 40 minutes as well, it's the first boss I can't really recognise a pattern or any kind of logic in the attacks it does. So when I've gotten past it (I think twice?), it felt like luck. So if anyone has hints as to how to beat this boss, please send me a PM :) . It just feels like I'm missing... something.

Also, reading back in this thread (all the way back to 2009), I noticed a mention about the existance of a level select code. As I'm quite likely going to speedrun this game, could anyone PM me this? It would help a lot with practice attempts :D

I'm like you Grumpmeister. :-) or :'-(

I've checked the VOD of my playthrough yesterday and did discover a pattern. Using that, I've played through the entire game yesterday to try it out and after some tries I did get more consistent at killing that boss. I'd love to hear from others what their strategy was, but to help you out:

The attacks follow a certain pattern as in:

- First attack will be shot from the bottom

- Second attack will come from the top

- Third attack from the bottom

etc. etc.

This means that for the first attack, you should stay around the top of the screen (not at the left-most edge, since an 'upwards' attack from the bottom can still reach the corner). Then move to the bottom, same deal, don't be at the far end. And follow that strategy for a little bit. After some cycles of top - bottom (around 8 to 10 projectiles fired), you'll notice that the projectile that was usually fired from the bottom is moving further and further up and will likely be fired from the middle. From this point onwards, the safest area is to stay at the bottom, around the horizontal middle of the screen.

During this I just barraged the boss with the small bullets. I think she's too slim for the big shot to do enough damage, and she's too far to the right to damage-boost and use the thrusters. Maybe she can be hit around the head with thrusters, but I'd advice against it as the fight itself is pretty long.

• Like 1