IGNORED

Moon Patrol body shop !

TIX

are we doing a bin/car/rom etc. for each platform here, as in 5200/800

as we are in the 5200 hack thread... :)

That is why I added a 5200 version here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282701-moon-patrol-body-shop/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4118478

And showed how to make the needed changes to the sprites and color. :)

Has anyone considered hacking the code to set the multicolor sprite mode on the buggy? That would give you an extra color (the exclusive OR of the body color and the windshield) to work with.

The buggy looks great, but I'm not loving the flying saucers. They look a bit too chunky, kind of like a warmed-over Intellivision port.

Yes they are chunky alright... double wide pixels, single color only I'm afraid :(

at least they look better animated !!

hacking the code to set the multicolor sprite mode

An extra color will do wonders on the buggy and especially on the flying enemies, but.. I haven't a clue how to do that.....

Edited by TIX

That is really cool. English translation from Spanish for those that want to read it:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fatariteca.blogspot.com%2F2018%2F09%2Fhack-de-moon-patrol-para-computadoras.html%23more

We also got this comment from the 5200 podcast

post-4709-0-76759400-1537710118_thumb.png

The whole screen flip happened when I tried a value to raise the body off the wheels. All the rest of these hacks don't have that occurrence. :D

Trying to find other color values now to make this more like the arcade. Mainly trying to turn the lower layer from brown to green.

ENEMY SHIPS

Love what you are doing there. You might find it interesting I did the same thing for the 2600 version. Like here you only have one layer of color and unlike here you had two cells of character animation where here you have three. And I eventually found a solution for six moving wheels. Someday we need to hack a second color layer for the buggy into that game so like this version, it can have a pink body and black wheels.

So definitely like what you're doing.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 2

Great detective work finding the colors !!

With just 2 changes we will come preeetty close to the arcade..

1. change the ground to orange and

2. change the first layer of mountains to green

the second layer of mountain is perfect as it is !

post-65-0-07407200-1537712408.png

post-65-0-77100100-1537712418.png

• Like 2

2nd alien ship (egg yolk) closer to the arcade, rotating with 3 frames of animation (just some dots moving)

I stretched it horizontally to be bigger than the red flying saucer, as it should.

I don't like the arcade version but for authenticity I left it in.. I'll try later to incorporate the Atari animation into the arcade shell/shape ;)

Check it out :)

post-65-0-44832400-1537716840.jpg

post-65-0-93647400-1537716852.jpg

post-65-0-97901300-1537716861.jpg

Edited by TIX
  • Like 2

The whole screen flip happened when I tried a value to raise the body off the wheels. All the rest of these hacks don't have that occurrence. :D

Trying to find other color values now to make this more like the arcade. Mainly trying to turn the lower layer from brown to green.

I will fix that in the article next update on your work :)

- Y -

Edited by Yautja
  • Like 1

2nd alien ship (egg yolk) closer to the arcade, rotating with 3 frames of animation (just some dots moving)

I stretched it horizontally to be bigger than the red flying saucer, as it should.

I don't like the arcade version but for authenticity I left it in.. I'll try later to incorporate the Atari animation into the arcade shell/shape ;)

Check it out :)

Just played this, yellow saucers look more like the arcade. :D

I just wonder if the programmers back in the day had regular access to a Moon Patrol arcade machine?

• Like 1

An extra color will do wonders on the buggy and especially on the flying enemies, but.. I haven't a clue how to do that.....

This is very easy to do. You only need to set bit 5 on GTIA's PRIOR register. It's only a tiny change, but it is a code change.

Where the two sprites overlap you will get a third color.

This hack wouldn't help with the flying enemies, since you need to combine two player objects to get the color effects and all available players seem to be in use for the enemies.

But, the setting affects all player/missile (sprite) objects, so it would also affect the flying enemies, unintentionally. The enemies would take on an extra color whenever one flies over the other. You can avoid that by setting the multicolor bit in a DLI for only the portion of the screen (the moonscape) where it's needed.

If you could get a coder to help with this hack I think the results would be worth it.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 3

hmm very clever !

..but now that I think of this, it would be hard to pull it off.. the first layer consists of quadruple wide sprites and the second of double wide sprites..

so in the case of the windshield not all black pixels overlaps blue pixels.. this way the third color will not be on all of the windshield.. ?!?

please correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by TIX

This is very easy to do. You only need to set bit 5 on GTIA's PRIOR register. It's only a tiny change, but it is a code change.

Where the two sprites overlap you will get a third color.

This hack wouldn't help with the flying enemies, since you need to combine two player objects to get the color effects and all available players seem to be in use for the enemies.

But, the setting affects all player/missile (sprite) objects, so it would also affect the flying enemies, unintentionally. The enemies would take on an extra color whenever one flies over the other. You can avoid that by setting the multicolor bit in a DLI for only the portion of the screen (the moonscape) where it's needed.

If you could get a coder to help with this hack I think the results would be worth it.

Ahhh.. ok.. this is what they did on Miner 2049er to get the green (hat) color between red and blue. Awesome.

I approach things current from a hex angle (at this time), so if I knew what that command tended to be, when put in hex, I could search for that hex string. Then make the needed change.

But yeh with the buggy we could come up with a color combination that would allow for darker colors for the top cannon, a lighter color for the windshield, and then a middle color for the buggy. That is brilliant. :D Thanks for that FifthPlayer.

TIX is right about how the layers interact, with one layer being different sized pixels than the others. Maybe the pixels for the black layer can be widened? Actually not advisable as the smaller black pixels tend to add detail where the body pixels add width. But the windshield area is in a place where both overlap.

Edited by doctorclu

Bomber sprite

below is the original Atari sprite plus two versions by me..

It's very difficult to get something similar to the arcade, but Atari did the minimum effort with a tiny sprite, smaller than all the others.. come on where it keeps all the bombs ??? :lolblue:

I wanted to go big, as big as I am allowed,

so the first is using the maximum height (12 pixels)

the second is using maximum height and maximum width (8 double pixels)

They all animate correctly and they all fit in.. what's your opinion ?? go big or not ??

By the way have you noticed that the bomber flickers with another color ? at first i though I messed something up.. but it also flashes with the original sprites !

post-65-0-16982300-1537736292.jpg

post-65-0-62540400-1537736299.jpg

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

So, could we modify the code a bit to make the enemies multicolored? It's desperately needed.

As I mentioned above, adding another color to the buggy should not be too difficult, but making the enemies multicolored will be much harder. The most straightforward way is to combine player (sprite) objects to get multicolor, but there aren't enough of them to go around.

Edited by FifthPlayer

After a weekend of tests we finally caught a glimpse of the emerald hills of the lunar surface!

post-4709-0-01993400-1537758539_thumb.png

So looks like the bank of color codes is actually here, the same place where the buggy code was too...

post-4709-0-14565500-1537758543.png

And so I've color matched all the horizon (even the blue ones in the back) to the arcade look. :D

post-4709-0-83440200-1537758540.png

So just add those alien sprites you've been working on, and we'll be even closer to the arcade!

moon-test7b.bin

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1