IGNORED

Minimal Demo

SvOlli

So, my final result of 32 byte demo coding is now available here: https://xayax.net/hard2632/

More discussion after the demo party! :)

That is so cool! And on a dip-switch re-configurable 32b circuit board!

Good luck at the demo party!

Now how much sound can be made if you don't have to worry about keeping a display?

Some of those simple math equations can create very intricate "songs".

Nice! Now I need one of those dip-switch boards...

I haven't looked at your code yet, but I noticed the angled border lines are spaced by 9 scanlines, which makes me suspect you are ROLing the value in PF1.

Edit: That's some tight code! How do the NMI/BRK/RESET vectors work?

Edited by JeremiahK

I tried the following idea: bne is $D0, if the I find a loop that's 16 bytes back or less, this encodes as $D0, $Fx, or as a word $FxD0.

So I utilized the mirroring and rotated the code to have a BNE at the reset vector. With the second BNE the trick worked: $F9D0 now is inside the reset routine. All I needed to do there was to reorder the code there, so the BNE there will always branch after reset.

This is something that won't work without the help of an assembler and Stella. I want to code a slightly simpler demo just using the first table from http://www.oxyron.de/html/opcodes02.html and assemble the code to hex/binary/dipswitches not using any "computer-based" tooling.

• Like 1

I made a new demo, Animatrix 2. I like it a little better than the original Animatrix.

; 32 byte demo, Animatrix 2
; by Omegamatrix

; last update Oct 08, 2018

processor 6502
    LIST OFF
    include vcs.h
    LIST ON

ORG $F800
    .byte $FF

ORG $FFE0

Start:

;SP=$FD at startup

.loopClear:
    asl
    tsx
    pha
    bne    .loopClear

;RIOT ram $80-$F6 clear, TIA clear, SP=$FF, A=0, X=0, carry is clear

.doVSYNC:
    lda    #$38         ; does two lines (non-Vsync), and then the regular 3 lines of VSYNC
    sta    GRP0
.loopVSYNC:
    sta    WSYNC
    sta    VSYNC
    lsr
    bne    .loopVSYNC

dey
    sty    HMP0

.loopKernel:
    sta    WSYNC
    sta    HMOVE
    sty    COLUP0
    dex
    bne    .loopKernel
                          ; X=0
    ORG $FFFC             ; CPX #$FF
    .word Start
    bne   .doVSYNC        ; always branch

Animatrix 2.bin

Edited by Omegamatrix
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but here goes -- I finally got around to doing this challenge at 35C3 last week.

My approach is a little unorthodox in that the hardware initialisation happens in a single byte at the bottom of the screen loop. This comes at the cost of an up to approximately four seconds long "boot" period during which the VCS may (but rarely does, at least in randomly initialized Stella) show garbage in addition to the effect because only one zero byte is pushed per screen. I consider this acceptable given the space constraints, but YMMV.

SvOlli calls this "precomputation," so I guess there's a VCS demo that does that now.

Details are in the source code comments. It's possible more can be squeezed from this that I don't see; I'm afraid I'm nowhere near as experienced with the VCS as some (most? all?) people here. ;-)

processor 6502

list off
   include vcs.h
   list on

; reset vector at OFFSET - 4
OFFSET = 31

seg code
   org $f3c1

; upon reset expected: SP = $fd
; also expected: mirroring every 32 bytes

; Look, ma, no init routine! 
;
; Except not really, of course. I'm doing HW init in one pha at the bottom of the screen loop.
; This is a trade-off: I get only one zero-byte per screen in exchange for four extra bytes
; of machine code that I (desperately) need, especially since I also need to cld in order to
; be able to use adc #1 (which takes one more byte than inx, iny).
;
; Depending on the initial state, the demo may show nonsense during the first ~4 seconds. This
; can be random garbage in PF0, a strange background color, a sprite or anything else. It's
; surprisingly rare at least in Stella with random initial state, though.

screen:
   lda   #$3b              ;  0 -- Bit of luck: this pattern looks nice in PF1,2 and works well
   sta   PF1               ;  2 -- in CTRLPF: reflect | score | unimportant stuff. Weirdly, even
   sta   PF2               ;  4 -- the usually frustrating mirroring of PF1 that makes horizontal
   sta   CTRLPF            ;  6 -- scrolling such a pain works to my advantage.
   	 		   ;       Feel free to try other patterns. It's only important that
			   ;       SCORE is set, PFP is not set, and possibly that three consecutive
			   ;       bits are set so that the sync block works, although I'm unsure
			   ;       of the exact semantics there. It works in Stella with #$0b, which
			   ;       kinda surprised me.
sync:
   lsr                     ;  8 -- this part inspired by (lifted from) SvOlli
   sta   WSYNC             ;  9
   sta   VSYNC             ; 11
   bne   sync              ; 13 -- Reset vector no longer here, though; this points between
                           ;       instructions now. See below.

tsx                     ; 15 -- S doubles as counter for the right topmost color.
line:
   dex                     ; 16 -- Walk through the rainbow, one color every line.
   dey                     ; 17 -- Variation: iny instead of dey here. I like dey better. iny
                           ;       feels like inconsistent shadows to me.
   sta   WSYNC             ; 18
   sty   COLUP0            ; 20 -- set new colors
   stx   COLUP1            ; 22
   cld                     ; 24 -- Having cld close to the adc instruction keeps the invalid region
                           ;       for the reset vector small. Doesn't matter that it's execd often.
   adc   #1                ; 25 -- A from 0 to 0, carry set at outset => 255 scanlines per screen.
                           ;       This means that Y increases by 1 each screen (dey 255 times)
   bne   line              ; 27 -- doubles as reset vector (f3d0), happens to point at 15: tsx.
                           ;       Any instruction except the adc would be fine, though. The reason
			   ;       adc is not fine is that the CPU could be in BCD mode after reset.
			   ;       On that note, whoever invented BCD ought to be clipped round the ear.
   pha                     ; 29 -- A is 0 here, so this will eventually init hw.
   beq   screen            ; 30

conveyors.bin

conveyors_2k.bin

Edited by Wintermute
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

After Revision, I finally did some experiments too. For a maximal effect, I went for Cosmic Ark stars. The code provides some alternative effects, named A..G, personally I like E most.

Note that the demos have no initialization, so they behave somewhat random, sometimes with quite different results. This randomness will not work via Harmony etc. because they initialize the registers. But with real cart or with Stella's Options/Developer/Emulation/Randomize CPU enabled, you can recreate the effect.

Have fun experimenting!

32_007.zip

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 10/6/2018 at 3:32 PM, SvOlli said:

So, my final result of 32 byte demo coding is now available here: https://xayax.net/hard2632/

More discussion after the demo party! :)

I needed a break from normal stuff so I took a diversion and implemented this 32-byte demo on my PLD-boot board. The PLD-boot board was created solely to demonstrate a theory that you could boot a 2600 from just a PLD, in order to stall the system until another device can take over.

This board has just a 16V8 PLD on it. No EPROM, no inverter chip, nothing else. The 32 bytes of data are encoded entirely into 6 inputs (A0-A4, A12) and 8 outputs. Each output on this PLD only has 7 product terms, so not all 32-byte functions are possible. This one was, just barely!

IMG_4735.jpg.1a7c0316298a1663f1b1c1db5905c223.jpgIMG_4733.thumb.jpg.fd4cdfaa73b06c803fabe8c0b4c1ae13.jpg

Here are the product terms for the PLD (OpalJr syntax)

/D7 = A4 * A3 * /A2 * A0 +
      A4 * /A3 * A2 * A1 +
      /A4 * A3 * A2 * A1 +
      /A4 * /A3 * /A0 +
      /A4 * /A2 * /A1 * /A0 +
      /A3 * A2 * /A0

D6 = A4 * /A3 * /A2 * /A1 * A0 +
     A4 * /A3 * /A2 * A1 * /A0 +
     A4 * /A3 * A2 * A1 * A0 +
     A3 * A2 * /A1 + A3 * A2 * /A0 +
     /A4 * A3 * /A2 * A0 +
     /A4 * A3 * /A2 * A1

D5 = /A3 * /A2 * /A1 * /A0 +
     /A4 * A3 * A0 +
     /A4 * A3 * A2 * /A1 +
     A4 * /A3 * /A2 * A1 +
     A4 * /A3 * /A1 * /A0 +
     A3 * A2 * /A1 * A0

D4 = /A4 * A3 * /A2 * A1 +
     A3 * A2 * /A1 * /A0 +
     A4 * /A3 * /A2 * /A1 +
     A4 * /A3 * /A2 * /A0 +
     A4 * A3 * A2 * /A1 +
     A4 * /A3 * /A1 * /A0

D3 = /A4 * A3 * /A2 * /A1 +
     A3 * A2 * A1 +
     A4 * /A3 * A1 +
     A4 * A3 * A2 * A0 +
     /A3 * /A1 * /A0 +
     /A3 * A2 * /A0

D2 = /A4 * /A3 * A0 +
     /A4 * /A3 * A2 +
     /A4 * A2 * /A1 * A0 +
     /A3 * A2 * /A1 * A0 +
     A4 * A3 * /A2 * /A0

D1 = /A4 * /A3 * A2 * /A1 +
     /A4 * A3 * /A2 * A1 * A0 +
     /A4 * A2 * A1 * /A0 +
     /A3 * /A2 * /A0 +
     A4 * /A3 * A2 * A1 +
     A4 * A3 * /A2 * /A1 * A0

D0 = /A4 * /A3 * /A2 * A0 +
     /A4 * /A3 * A2 * A1 * /A0 +
     /A4 * /A2 * A1 * A0 +
     A3 * A2 * /A1 * A0 +
     A4 * /A3 * A2 * /A1 +
     A4 * A3 * /A2 * /A0 +
     A4 * /A3 * /A2 * A1

D7.oe = A12
D6.oe = A12
D5.oe = A12
D4.oe = A12
D3.oe = A12
D2.oe = A12
D1.oe = A12
D0.oe = A12

D0 uses the full 7 product terms, and originally D7 used 8 terms, but inverting the output of D7 allowed me to get it down to 6 and fit on the PLD.

There are also a lot of "don't care" states on the 2600, which could be used in certain cases to minimize logic, but none were needed in this case.

If I need another diversion I may try to see if any of the other demos can be encoded into the limited logic space on the PLD!

• Like 7