IGNORED

OT: Gimp Help!

Omega-TI

Hey guys,

I've been forced to switch to Gimp 2.10.6 but there is something that SHOULD BE SIMPLE that I cannot seem to figure out.

How do I free-hand select a portion of a photo and move it to another part of the same photo? I need to be able to do some basic copy and paste editing before I can start making videos again, but since I've misplaced my backup CD of Ulead Photo Impact 7, which I've used for 20 years, I have to start over from square one, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do this BASIC procedure.

So, can anyone help this old dog learn a new trick?

Hey guys,

I've been forced to switch to Gimp 2.10.6 but there is something that SHOULD BE SIMPLE that I cannot seem to figure out.

How do I free-hand select a portion of a photo and move it to another part of the same photo? I need to be able to do some basic copy and paste editing before I can start making videos again, but since I've misplaced my backup CD of Ulead Photo Impact 7, which I've used for 20 years, I have to start over from square one, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do this BASIC procedure.

So, can anyone help this old dog learn a new trick?

I am at v2.8.22 of GIMP, but such a basic operation is probably the same. You can use the lasso to free-select a region and/or string together sides of a polygon. If you want to move/copy the selection, you can cut/copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-X/Ctrl-C). Then paste it (Ctrl-V), at which point you can move the pasted clip around with the arrow keys or mouse (with the “Move” tool). When you have it where you want it, you anchor it by clicking outside the clip.

A better way is to use “Quick Mask”, which you can toggle on/off with Ctrl-Q. I have not used it, but there is pretty good online help for everything with F1.

...lee

Just downloaded 2.10 myself and it turns out you now need to double click inside of your free hand selection area to 'confirm' it, before it's an actual selection. You will be able to tell because the selected area will go from being a solid line to the more familiar 'walking ants' animation.

• Like 1

Just downloaded 2.10 myself and it turns out you now need to double click inside of your free hand selection area to 'confirm' it, before it's an actual selection. You will be able to tell because the selected area will go from being a solid line to the more familiar 'walking ants' animation.

THAT WAS IT! Yessssssss! Thanks Mole! I'm back in business! icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

It's drive Mom day, so I'll play MUCH MORE when I get home. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif