IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Hi McWill :)

I have ordered a few kits for GG and both LYNX, but still hangin out for that Nomad screen!

Ive got a few different screens and controller around that are RGB capable and im going to do some testing with when i have more time.

One of these screens is 640x480 and i had plans to try out some sort of scanline generator and line doubler with that screen to see how it looks. Obviously itll be too much to fit inside the Nomad, but id want to have a working plan before i went with trying to get stuff small enough to fit inside.

Which screen type will yours be using? Are you going with the regular 320x240 or going for the 640x480 so as to better suit any 480i games?

Looking forward to seeing yours, ill be fitting one of yours, itll be a better option than my analog attempts!

I'm using 320x240 LCDs, because 640x480 are too expensive for this application IMO.

Scanline option would also be possible, because all lines are displayed (but every 2nd just half bright). 480i games are also possible with 320x240 ;-)

I'm using 320x240 LCDs, because 640x480 are too expensive for this application IMO.

Scanline option would also be possible, because all lines are displayed (but every 2nd just half bright). 480i games are also possible with 320x240 ;-)

I trust your judgement and skills on this, you know far more about this than i ever will!

I cant recall what i paid for the 640x480 screen, but it wasnt that much.

Wouldnt it still be a better option with the higher res? Id be happy to pay the extra myself, but others might not be able to afford it, which is fair enough too.

I trust your judgement and skills on this, you know far more about this than i ever will!

I cant recall what i paid for the 640x480 screen, but it wasnt that much.

Wouldnt it still be a better option with the higher res? Id be happy to pay the extra myself, but others might not be able to afford it, which is fair enough too.

Then it would be a different design than for 320x240.

Also, have you seen this:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kadenken.com%2Fshopdetail%2F000000000499%2F

Where can i get one of those? Is this something you can make but with 640x480 capabilities?

Yes, I've seen this. But this converter PCB is the same as these 20 USD LCD controller WITH LCD ;-) And it's also analog and it isn't using the pixel clock for exact pixel displaying! I wouldn't recommend it IMO.

Yes, I've seen this. But this converter PCB is the same as these 20 USD LCD controller WITH LCD ;-) And it's also analog and it isn't using the pixel clock for exact pixel displaying! I wouldn't recommend it IMO.

Yeah i know about the analog bit, and no doubt your solutions are WAY better, theyre awesome, but i cant get RGB out of those $20 LCDs that i know of!

Is there a way to feed RGB into them? I have other plans for them as well as the Nomad ;)

Yeah i know about the analog bit, and no doubt your solutions are WAY better, theyre awesome, but i cant get RGB out of those $20 LCDs that i know of!

Is there a way to feed RGB into them? I have other plans for them as well as the Nomad ;)

Thank you.

If you have a 20 USD PCB with MST703 controller it would be possible ;-)

Thank you.

If you have a 20 USD PCB with MST703 controller it would be possible ;-)

I do have that controller in at least one of them, do you know what i need to do to feed it RGB? If so ill make it happen!

I have a Nomad set aside here unmodded that is awaiting your screen, that is the best of my collection ( i have 4 Nomads ) and ive got 2 allready modded ( one came that way, the other i did myself with the cheaper screen and composite ) one i want to try this 640x480 screen with RGB.

Ive you can point me on how to do it ill go RGB on the two composites.

I do have that controller in at least one of them, do you know what i need to do to feed it RGB? If so ill make it happen!

I have a Nomad set aside here unmodded that is awaiting your screen, that is the best of my collection ( i have 4 Nomads ) and ive got 2 allready modded ( one came that way, the other i did myself with the cheaper screen and composite ) one i want to try this 640x480 screen with RGB.

Ive you can point me on how to do it ill go RGB on the two composites.

No, sorry. The datasheet of the MST703 has several hundreds of pages for different settings. And it wouldn't become pixel exact then.

No, sorry. The datasheet of the MST703 has several hundreds of pages for different settings. And it wouldn't become pixel exact then.

Yeah i know, its a huge book, thats why im asking you ;)

The usual composite screens people are using and i have used generally dont have the image centered, but i moved my screen to make the image centered within the window when i did the mod.

You can easily tell its only composite video though, and as someone that retro games on a Barco Cine 9 CRT projector, composite video just doesnt cut it.

Is there a Lynx I version in stock?

I would like to get one in time for eJagfest if possible. My white Lynx is my main development tool and I don't feel good about dragging it with me on a road trip. On the other hand I would like to connect live to a VGA projector.

Is there a Lynx I version in stock?

I would like to get one in time for eJagfest if possible. My white Lynx is my main development tool and I don't feel good about dragging it with me on a road trip. On the other hand I would like to connect live to a VGA projector.

Yes, the LYNX-I mod kits (also the GG and LYNX-II mod kits) are available ;-)

I'm also on the Ejagfest on 3rd and 4th November.

• Like 1

I didnt bother with it, and personally i wouldnt consider it an option

I like the idea of having the option, but not too keen on a big VGA port hanging out of the machine.

And I've never found a good emulator for Lynx either so this'd be idea for playing on a monitor.

Same time, I like the stealhiness of just the screen in there.

Yesterday I modded my Lynx I. I added a long flat cable that I folded in the battery compartment and set the loose VGA connector in the other battery compartment. For me the VGA is very nice to have.

that sounds like a very good idea, best of both worlds. thanks karri.

McWill are the majesco game gears still not officially supported at this time? The last comment I saw was that a firmware update was needed but that was at least a year or 2 ago.

The Majesco GGs are a bit complicated and complete different to the GG VA0 and VA1.

But I will find a solution and let you know then, if the new firmware is available.