IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Aren't the side panels and control panel particle board. The front and back panels could be pressboard.

Lunar Lander would control better had they mapped thrust to the spinner. It's not surprising they missed that since Mame by default does not map anything to "analog" thrust. I'm assumeing a select button is mapped but there is no indicator showing which of the four game difficulty modes is selected.

considering how poor the spinner is, that wouldn't help much.

speaking of controls, here's a quick look at the trackball they used:

later

Retailer cost is a bit over $200 for these. Not sure what Arcade1up's cost is to make them, but you have to think it's under $200.

Considering that the hardware is basically a Pandora's Box with screen and it can't be much. Based off the hardware+etc, my bet would be around $50 for all the parts, assembly, packaging, and shipping to the reseller. I'd bet about another $25 for licensing fees. I had already figured around $200 to the retailer, making a 60%+ gross profit margin for production. That's pretty good, but it will likely be mostly eaten up by the warranty repair stuff till they get the production kinks worked out for next year

I've also heard a rumor that cabs won't be kept around forever. Once they go out of stock, then that will be it for them

I've also heard a rumor that cabs won't be kept around forever. Once they go out of stock, then that will be it for them

it's not a rumor, they officially posted that as a reply on facebook, that the runs are limited,

and they will move onto other cabinets.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275757-budget-atari-and-capcom-arcade-cabinets-to-see-release-this-fall/?p=4130476

later

Here's an update on that "unplayable" Deluxe cabinet the guy bought from ebay (found under this video):

post-39941-0-50910600-1539546349_thumb.jpg

not sure if the emulation is different on the deluxe version,
but i'm beginning to think all the trackball games have some kind of frame-skipping going on
as seen in these comparisons.

also, the vector games, look to have the same problems.

at this point, if they are all like that, its better to delay the release of the deluxe cabinets,

and see if the regular cabinets have the same problems. they are all probably running slower,
or at the same framerate with skipping.

gravitar was shown briefly, but no gameplay.

centipede comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT9gRRDee5c

millipede comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22aWQgma8Y

tempest gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsubuQNzA_k

later

• Like 2

Well I for one would first like to see a functioning Major Havoc and Tempest with non-stuttering emulation and prod spinner to make my call... what are we, two days away from retail release now?

Currently the only thing Im looking at is the trackball cab. And its kind of a shame because I really was considering the deluxe Best Buy cab especially for all the extra trackball games on there. But a non-spinning spinner is a deal breaker for me. Well see!

Edited by NE146

footage of liberator, quantum, gravitar, and major havoc from the deluxe,

he's not very good at any of the games though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYIUTGceOmQ

1) liberator looks tough to play with the trackball response being very slow,

also the arcade version had a game breaking bug where you can't play past level 19,

so i doubt anyone will get to it

2) quantum looks unplayable with the trackball response, needs to be faster than that

3) gravitar plays decently, hard to tell, he didn't actually play any of the real game

he also showed asteroids deluxe in another video, gameplay looks ok, but they went

with coloring vectors white, as opposed to blue.

later

Edited by negative1

You mean to tell me none of you guys took today off work to go pick up your new dwarf cabs and set them up?

C'mon?

New job, 2 weeks in, no time off yet.

Next time. :)

Side note: FedEx dropped off Atari cab from BB, family brought it in the house. Looks good in their pics, strange though it was shipped in Arcade1Up box with no outer box.

No shipping notices from Walmart but those aren't due till tomorrow.

Good luck in stores, from what I've been reading its a crapshoot.

footage of liberator, quantum, gravitar, and major havoc from the deluxe,

he's not very good at any of the games though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYIUTGceOmQ

1) liberator looks tough to play with the trackball response being very slow,

also the arcade version had a game breaking bug where you can't play past level 19,

so i doubt anyone will get to it

2) quantum looks unplayable with the trackball response, needs to be faster than that

3) gravitar plays decently, hard to tell, he didn't actually play any of the real game

he also showed asteroids deluxe in another video, gameplay looks ok, but they went

with coloring vectors white, as opposed to blue.

later

I'm wondering if this guy has used a trackball before. :)

Or, it could be the trackball is that bad.

Again, I wish Best Buy or somebody would set up a display game for us to pound on for a while. I've learned enough to know I won't buy one sight unseen/without some hands on experience.

• Like 1

You mean to tell me none of you guys took today off work to go pick up your new dwarf cabs and set them up?

C'mon?

Don't worry man I'll post when I get mine. :) On that note,I did an inventory search on Walmart and it says there's none around here. These things are supposed to released today, correct?

• Like 1

Side note: FedEx dropped off Atari cab from BB, family brought it in the house. Looks good in their pics, strange though it was shipped in Arcade1Up box with no outer box.

No shipping notices from Walmart but those aren't due till tomorrow.

Good luck in stores, from what I've been reading its a crapshoot.

So I take it the riser is inside that box? Considering how some are saying they aren't packed for protection as is having more hardware banging about that box can't be good. Hopefully yours made it without a scratch.

The Walmarts near me have zero Galaga. My local store has one SF2 and that's it. The store in the next town over has 4 Asteroids and 2 Rampage. Centipede is also no where to be found near me.

• Like 1

OK, I built my machine. You can see a quick time lapse here:

It took about an hour and a half from start to finish (with the included riser) working on it with my father. It might have gone a bit faster if my youngest daughter wasn't so interested in it.

It's definitely a low-quality unit. You can see where the costs were cut to make their price point. It's REALLY tiny and the screen is of lower quality (you have to view it straight on, or it washes out). The spinner is absolute garbage. It's not free spinning and is more like a cheap cap than a dial. It kind of clicks at points when it moves and flexes when squeezed too hard. It's serviceable, but that's sort of being kind. The trackball and buttons seem rather better at first blush. The sound doesn't get particularly loud on the loudest of the two settings. I'll need to set aside some time to have deeper thoughts on it.

If you have any immediate questions, please let me know.

• Like 5

Yep..now with the official release, reading the reddit on it https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/there are definitely some quality control issues people are encountering. Also in regards to the trackball (the sole one I'm considering w/ Centipede) at first blush it's pretty cheap with no momentum when spun. Also people are reporting their monitors are dying. I'll still reserve final judgement though when I get my own hands on one but it's looking like a rocky start!

qf5pntskkvp11.jpg

OK, I built my machine. You can see a quick time lapse here:
It took about an hour and a half from start to finish (with the included riser) working on it with my father. It might have gone a bit faster if my youngest daughter wasn't so interested in it.
It's definitely a low-quality unit. You can see where the costs were cut to make their price point. It's REALLY tiny and the screen is of lower quality (you have to view it straight on, or it washes out). The spinner is absolute garbage. It's not free spinning and is more like a cheap cap than a dial. It kind of clicks at points when it moves and flexes when squeezed too hard. It's serviceable, but that's sort of being kind. The trackball and buttons seem rather better at first blush. The sound doesn't get particularly loud on the loudest of the two settings. I'll need to set aside some time to have deeper thoughts on it.
If you have any immediate questions, please let me know.

Thanks Bill, not sure If I'll get to putting mine together tonight but I'll try to unbox and check everything for damage. Did you run into any issues with anything? (scratches, dings, dents etc. ?)

Any chance you played Asteroids or Major Havok?

We should address the spinner with Arcade1Up if in fact it was not changed since the "pre-production" unit Metal Jesus had issues with, and was told it would be addressed and replaced on the final product.

If its crap and unplayable, Arcade1Up should replace it with a working spinner.

These things are supposed to released today, correct?

Yeah, and in about 15 years I'm supposed to retire and be able to live off my social security wages... ;)

The Walmarts near me have zero Galaga. My local store has one SF2 and that's it. The store in the next town over has 4 Asteroids and 2 Rampage. Centipede is also no where to be found near me.

Found some Centipede cabs on Brickseek, but that's it, nothing else. Wish I found a Rampage so I could cancel my pre-order. I don't think any Galaga cabs got released, store or otherwise. We'll see if mine shows up tomorrow at my house...

I called their tech support number with my ticket ID number after being told to do that when I emailed their customer service a few days back. It went to an automated line that was supposed to give me the option to leave a message or wait for the next available rep. Unfortunately, both times I tried to wait for a rep, it hung up on me, so the third time I just left them a voice mail and then responded via email about what happened. I also added in the email the annoyance about my glass/plastic screen over the monitor having noticeable fine scratches and some dust and other dust-like elements that won't clear out.

The reason I initially contacted them was because I wanted the clear control panel protector. It's clear that the sticker (or whatever it is) they have over the control panel will definitely peel/fade rather quickly. Now, I'm definitely adding in the monitor "glass."
Having a chance to play it a bit, the spinner is still definitely sub-par, but I can understand why it sometimes clicks and is not free spinning. I think they did that to allow for a bit more precise control, at least when selecting stuff from the menu. Both that and trackball can select stuff from the menu. Anyway, I still found Tempest playable, even though it's not the type of spinner that should have ever made it's way into the cabinet.
The trackball fares much better, but definitely feels a bit undersized. If it was larger, it would be a more pleasant experience. Again, not optimal, but usable.
Interface-wise, they're rather inconsistent. It's usually either the P1 or A button to insert a coin or start a game, but you're never quite sure when to do what between games (it varies), i.e., sometimes P1 finally starts a game after inserting a coin, sometimes A starts a game after inserting a coin. That's a bit frustrating.
They also included a small sticker to put on the control panel near the P2 button. It basically tells you for all but one game to hold down the P1 button for 5 seconds to return to the menu, while with the other game it's the P2 button. They included two sets of those stickers, which supersede what's indicated in the manual.
I also retract my earlier statement about the volume levels. It seems OK, although the games can be quieter than the startup sound, so I think that's where I had the initial disconnect.
  • Like 2