IGNORED

UnoCart-2600 : a DIY SD multi-cart for the 2600

electrotrains

Oh definitely the game is being made for the Atari 2600. It mirrors the situation of games that are being developed with the advanced hardware inside of a Harmony Cart. During development for some games you need a Harmony Cart to play and test them but when they're sold as a complete game on it's own cartridge it has everything inside the cart needed to run.

To currently play THIS work-in-progress game on an Atari 2600 from a binary file you need an UnoCart, but when/if this game goes to retail, the cartridge would contain everything that's needed to run. People who buy these games don't necessarily know what's going on inside the cartridge, all they know is that they can plug it into their Atari VCS and it works. :-)

So the game is not made for the Atari2600 at all then?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We have identified another bottleneck in the DPC emulation which would cause stability issues on some systems. Here is a beta version of the firmware which should address the issue. I'm including the elf and bin of the firmware for anyone who wishes to program the firmware directly via ST-Link.

If you have the 2018-06-30 version of the firmware which includes ACE file support you can simply run the FirmwareUpdater.bin and it will reflash the firmware for you. Keep in mind this is a beta and has only been tested on a single Atari so far. Though it is very unlikely to fail, I can't guarantee this will work for everyone. If power is lost during the update or some other failure occurs you may have to program the firmware via ST-Link in order to recover the cart back to a useable state.

I'm also including a copy of the updater with the 2018-06-30 firmware so the firmware updater can be tested easier. The 2018-10-05 version will show a 1 next to R. Edwards, while the 2018-06-30 will just show "By R. Edwards".

All feedback is appreciated.

To update via SD simply copy 2018-10-05-FirmwareUpdater.bin to the SD card and run it from the UnoCart-2600 menu. Once you run it you must not power off the system until the "Update Complete" screen is displayed. The whole process should take less than a minute.

post-40226-0-01453700-1538750938_thumb.png

2018-10-05-UnoCart-2600-Frimware.zip

• Like 4

I'm also eagerly awaiting certain features to be added to the Uno firmware for my own game development. Is there a changelog somewhere so I don't have to irritate you or DirtyHarry? :)

Nope, you have to bugger me :) Sorry, I have not managed to work on this yet --- we're building a house, and that has consumed most of my spare time the last few weeks --- but I'll try to have something ready for you in the next two weeks.

• Like 1

Instead, consider saying "you have to bug me".

In my country, at least, "you have to bugger me" means you have to have anal sex with me. Not what you intended, I'm sure!!

Ouch, thanks for the advice - you may have saved my ass :P

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 3

In my country, at least, "you have to bugger me" means you have to have anal sex with me. Not what you intended, I'm sure!!

Ouch, thanks for the advice - you may have saved my ass :P

And buggery means non-consensual anal sex, so saying "you have to bugger me" is kind of non-sensical.

• Like 1

And forced at that. Being a little bugger is not a good thing. I've seen some people use bugger in place of saying bastard cause they think it's less of a swear. Personally I'd rather be a bastard than a bugger. :lol:

And forced at that. Being a little bugger is not a good thing. I've seen some people use bugger in place of saying bastard cause they think it's less of a swear. Personally I'd rather be a bastard than a bugger. :lol:

POST CONTAINS FOUL LANGUAGE!

British coloquialisms don't always mean the same thing in the Americas. "Arse" is a person's bottom end. "Ass" is either a donkey or an annoying/stupid person. And I have no idea if "arsehole" and "asshole" are interchangeable in British English or not. Nobody says "Can I bum a fag?" in America if they need a smoke. That's considered a slur here.

Using "bugger" instead of "bastard" is a bit like "shoot" instead of "shit", "freak" instead of "fuck." OP was trying to be polite and you turned it into a sodomy joke. :roll:

Update from a customer:

Beta firmware on a 7800: PF2 is more graphically glitchy than with "6/30 firmware"

7800 serial # is 72R4BR A1 76.5909341

Ok. Thanks for the video. I assume the upgrade and downgrade went fine then?

I was hoping we could get away with moving some of the audio processing, but it looks like those modulus operations are just too slow regardless. This will require a better understanding of DPC before I can optimize further, but I'll keep working at it until we can find a solution that works for everyone.

The DPC changes for Pitfall 2 is the only thing different in this version. If PF2 is already working I would stick with what you have for now.

But wouldn't it be good to know from a development standpoint if the new firmware breaks PF2 on a previously working console? Worst case, the user could downgrade to the previous version.

• Like 1

I'll be giving my homebrew presentation at the Houston Arcade Expo this Saturday at 4 pm, and have added a couple slides about this.

Are there plans for a Melody like board for stand alone games, or is the plan for this to only be an SD cart?

Also is there be a better photo somewhere? This one's a bit fuzzy.

post-3056-0-70921600-1539872627_thumb.png

post-3056-0-18345900-1539872632_thumb.png

• Like 4

I'll be giving my homebrew presentation at the Houston Arcade Expo this Saturday at 4 pm, and have added a couple slides about this.

Are there plans for a Melody like board for stand alone games, or is the plan for this to only be an SD cart?

Also is there be a better photo somewhere? This one's a bit fuzzy.

attachicon.gif2018 HAE.001.png

attachicon.gif2018 HAE.002.png

Yes, there are plans for a SD-less board to be used for stand alone games. There's at least 2 UnoCart specific games in active development that I'm aware of.

Btw, those specs are wrong. It has 512KB of flash and 192KB of SRAM and is clocked at 168MHz. (Some lucky customers got a free upgrade to 1MB of flash, but it's best to advertise 512KB for compatibility reasons)

I took a photo of my cart that was purchased from MacRorie. All I have is my phone camera though, so I'm not sure this is any better.

post-40226-0-57836900-1539875345_thumb.jpg

I've added a bullet point about the planned stand-alone version, and a presenter note about the 2 UnoCart specific games.

I got the photo and specs from here, I gather they were increased at some point and this wasn't updated.

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart-2600

Looks much better that what I had, must also be a more current design than the photo I'd found.

Thanks!