IGNORED

New hardware possible?

blackbox

I am writing as an ancient original TI user, not adept with hardware and very fond of the original TI concept of plug n play. Not keen on changing the original hardware.

My original iron works, I have a sidecar 32k, and FG99. My ancient TI floppy drives are now temperamental and unreliable (the original disks even more so).

I can write TI programs with emulators, but I am not able now to reliably write programs and save them or use programs that need disk storage on the original hardware.

I have kept up as best I can with the TIPI project and deduced this is absolutely not for me - I don't have a Windows machine, and its setup and use has been written up to be horrendously difficult. The MBX works (which is an external CPU), it just plugs in and works, no problems.

So- still looking for something to plug into the sideport that I can store files on. The CF7 seems to use a memory card that is very expensive or hard to source here- I'd like something that used an SDHC card not unlike the FG99. And was easy to use, plug in, put in SDHC card, save file (well, maybe use a disk formatter - perhaps on-board? or something).

Oh yes- my 32k sidecar is not extendable, so any new device sidecar would need a connecter for the 32k to plug into! or have its own 32k replacement on board.

Just a wish list!

Stephen

I think that 32k is always the first in the chain of side cars, probably because it's generally higher access rates make it more sensitive to electrical noise.

I set up my TIPI without any help... although I do possess electronics skills... I don't think I relied on them much... hardest part was connecting the two five wire connectors in the right direction since they're not keyed.

No sector access... I think that might come someday.

Noo PC... Hmmm... that's a tough one!

- I don't have a Windows machine, and its setup and use has been written up to be horrendously difficult. The MBX works (which is an external CPU), it just plugs in and works, no problems.

Well, if you do not have a Windows machine, and no reliable disk i/o device, the ability to obtain and get them on your unit is limited, but not impossible with the TIPI.

I struggled "just a bit" with getting the TIPI setup. In your situation, I would encourage you to pursue the sidecar TIPI route when they become available. Once it is setup, you will be glad you did.

The biggest challenge you will have is being able to then get files onto your TIPI drive paths. Without a Windows PC, there will only be a single route you can do that. Fortunately you can, if someone (nudge) will offer the Mass Transfer TIPI version on a path, perhaps the same location as where CHATTI is located. Maybe this "nudge" will result in someone showing how to use the TIPI Config program with a video to set access to Mass Transfer. I'll post this comment in another topic area as well.

That way, a simple basic call such as CALL TIPI URL call will allow you to load MXT. At that point, you could then use the program to call BBS's and obtain a large selection of programs you may be interested and transfer to the TIPI. This is with the presumption you do have an internet WIFI connection accesssible wherever your TI is located.

Beery

Your comments aside.. if you don't have a Windows machine what do you have?

I have used a mac and a linux pc to load files into my TIPI drive.. it's the same on all three.. Otherwise you can just copy from your floppy drive to the TIPI.. There are only issues with copying the other way (TIPI to real disk) due to existing disk manager's not being able to do so, and a new disk manager is being written to resolve that issue.

Setting up the TIPI requires no other computer. It's all done in the TI. Plug and play. Here are the setup instructions for the sidecar: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/tipi-installation

If you for some reason are unable to program the sd card for the pi then you can order one from me all ready programmed and ready to go.

Greg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Your comments aside.. if you don't have a Windows machine what do you have?

If you for some reason are unable to program the sd card for the pi then you can order one from me all ready programmed and ready to go.

Greg

Thanks for the offer. Forgive my lack of understanding.

In answer to your query I have a thoroughly ancient computer, completely unsupported, with 128MB of ram, running Freedos. There are limitations- but hey, this is in keeping with my also still running TI99/4A (did I mention I have a running TI99/4 too). I also have the original IBM Basic...

Obviously I have no currently supported software and new packages are something of a nono!

My wife has one of those Amazon thingies to keep up with distant family with skype,,,

best wishes in your venture. Stephen

Ah k well you can download disks in the Amazon thing then upload to TIPI with the browser icon_smile.gif

Another added benefit is the pi is about 40x more computer than that PC hook up a monitor, mouse and keyboard and you can have a modern Linux computer

• Like 1

In answer to your query I have a thoroughly ancient computer, completely unsupported, with 128MB of ram, running Freedos. There are limitations- but hey, this is in keeping with my also still running TI99/4A (did I mention I have a running TI99/4 too). I also have the original IBM Basic...

Just curious, do you access AtariAge from that computer?

• Like 1

Either Lynx or Arachne still work for well written web sites, although increasingly I find websites that I can't use- if they are really essential, often an online "accessibility" converter works, or in dire need use the wife's little Fire. I have a dos network driver and even have a dos USB driver etc etc. And for W3.1 a registered Opera 3 browser...

post-47425-0-74638600-1539940072.jpg

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 2

Either Lynx or Arachne still work for well written web sites, although increasingly I find websites that I can't use- if they are really essential, often an online "accessibility" converter works, or in dire need use the wife's little Fire. I have a dos network driver and even have a dos USB driver etc etc. And for W3.1 a registered Opera 3 browser...

Yeah they also should work for TIPI too