IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

After thinking about it for a bit, I think that the Arcade1up cabs will be great for modding.... in the future

Why?

1) Only a 90 day warranty

2) It seems like they've got a bit higher failure rate than most electronics products

3) While Arcade1up says you'll be able to buy out of warranty replacement parts in the future, many people likely won't bother

4) It actually is a nice little cab, easy to work with and move around the house

My bet is that 6+ months down the road there will be enough failed cabs that the owners want to dump, that you'll be able to grab one free to cheap ($20?)

After thinking about it for a bit, I think that the Arcade1up cabs will be great for modding.... in the future

Why?

1) Only a 90 day warranty

2) It seems like they've got a bit higher failure rate than most electronics products

3) While Arcade1up says you'll be able to buy out of warranty replacement parts in the future, many people likely won't bother

4) It actually is a nice little cab, easy to work with and move around the house

My bet is that 6+ months down the road there will be enough failed cabs that the owners want to dump, that you'll be able to grab one free to cheap ($20?)

That is probably close to reality. About 10 years ago now or so those Zizzle 3/4 pinballs came out with Pirates or Marvel on them. I ended up picking one that started glitching up on this dude across town and it cost me all of $20. It wasn't overly easy to get parts for it at face value. I had to google around some, backtracked the table maker of all things, and he was so surprised I cared enough to fix the thing he sent me a box of free parts to resurrect it. Sure it wasn't too much better than your tabletop style things or the more recent junk plastic stand ups, but for what it was, it was decently enough made for the body of it, but the cheap electronics doomed it as it blew out like a year later and I couldn't get that repaired so it was junked. In the case of these arcade1up devices, as long as the body stays ok and easily cleaned up/modded and the LCD doesn't fail, there's plenty of room there to work with a busted shell to slap something nicer in there, even if it's more narrowly so like those chinese multi mini PCB devices like the 60 or 412-in-1 boards.

• Like 1

That is probably close to reality. About 10 years ago now or so those Zizzle 3/4 pinballs came out with Pirates or Marvel on them. I ended up picking one that started glitching up on this dude across town and it cost me all of $20. It wasn't overly easy to get parts for it at face value. I had to google around some, backtracked the table maker of all things, and he was so surprised I cared enough to fix the thing he sent me a box of free parts to resurrect it. Sure it wasn't too much better than your tabletop style things or the more recent junk plastic stand ups, but for what it was, it was decently enough made for the body of it, but the cheap electronics doomed it as it blew out like a year later and I couldn't get that repaired so it was junked. In the case of these arcade1up devices, as long as the body stays ok and easily cleaned up/modded and the LCD doesn't fail, there's plenty of room there to work with a busted shell to slap something nicer in there, even if it's more narrowly so like those chinese multi mini PCB devices like the 60 or 412-in-1 boards.

Somebody is gonna start making aftermarket "60-in-1" style conversion kits for these cabinets. If fact it would not surprise me to see bootlegkits on Aliexpress them moment these things drop in stores...
  • Like 1

If they don't do it to their own stock, someone over there will have one chinese ripping off another chinese with a conversion adapter for it made cheaply to get some easy profit. Hey maybe both would even happen. It wouldn't be so bad to take the icade I have and stuff it in a cabinet like that, or just buying another as it's like a $30-40 jamma board with a VGA jack attached to the end of it with a phones jack right along side it.

you guys need to check out the other thread.

there are videos with retropies modded into the arcade1up.

there are people using pandora's boxes, and pcs, etc.

if you want a better quality cabinet, and just supply

the other stuff yourself, recroommasters has 3/4 cabs too.

all that discussion is going on over there.

later

you guys need to check out the other thread.

there are videos with retropies modded into the arcade1up.

there are people using pandora's boxes, and pcs, etc.

if you want a better quality cabinet, and just supply

the other stuff yourself, recroommasters has 3/4 cabs too.

all that discussion is going on over there.

later

I'm on that other thread. I saw that Tanooki is also.

I've seen the recroommasters stuff. While their 3/4 sit down cab looks nice... it starts at $900 with only the cab and control panel (no screen or computer). It's also 170lbs... which is a bit of a bear for 2 people to move. It also only comes with a fighting game layout (+ optional trackball) and a horizontal screen layout, which is limiting

The Arcade1up cab is small and only 63lbs, meaning you can have several and it's easy-ish for one person to move around. It's already been retropie modified. If you need different controls, then you just have to fill/redrill/refinish the control panel top; the rest of the cab is unmodified. And it's very possible you could be able to get several failed ones cheap to free in the future.

So, what could you do with a roughly free cab that takes up very little space? Cheap cabs that play games that are faithful to the arcade (IOW the controls + screen orientation)

I'd love to have a Defender/Stargate cab with the original control layout (instead of the abortion that A1U did). How about Sinistar with that 49 way joystick? You really could do a cab with very good game specific controls and correct screen orientation for only $50-$100

I've seen the recroommasters stuff. While their 3/4 sit down cab looks nice... it starts at $900 with only the cab and control panel (no screen or computer). It's also 170lbs... which is a bit of a bear for 2 people to move. It also only comes with a fighting game layout (+ optional trackball) and a horizontal screen layout, which is limiting

You're describing their full-size cab. The 3/4 Alpha cabinet is roughly the same size as the Arcade1up, for $350. It does weigh a bit more due to the better materials, but it's still easily moved by one person on level ground and two people on stairs. I have one and did a little write-up about here if you search through my posts. I think the Arcade1up's are cool, too - certainly prettier with the licensed artwork. But for overall versatility with a lot of games, the 3/4 Alpha is definitely worth considering. Edit: one other thing I thought I should add about the 3/4 Alpha... it doesn't wobble or shake at all during gameplay.

Edited by Zoyous

You're describing their full-size cab. The 3/4 Alpha cabinet is roughly the same size as the Arcade1up, for $350. It does weigh a bit more due to the better materials, but it's still easily moved by one person on level ground and two people on stairs. I have one and did a little write-up about here if you search through my posts. I think the Arcade1up's are cool, too - certainly prettier with the licensed artwork. But for overall versatility with a lot of games, the 3/4 Alpha is definitely worth considering. Edit: one other thing I thought I should add about the 3/4 Alpha... it doesn't wobble or shake at all during gameplay.

exactly. they are arguably much better, and will last much longer than any 1up cabinet.

anyone getting those, is due to tons of changes, and poor longevity because they are not made to last.

might as well put in more money up front for better quality.

no point in wasting a poorer cabinet just to gut it. that being said, i'll pick a pac-man one,

and mod it anyways, knowing full well, but that's because it's just a convenience factor, and

i collect pac-man items good and bad.

later

Yeah, I now remember seeing those, just forgot. They're a bit cute and definitely better built. Also easier to get up and running with a PC/retropie. However they're still limited to the standard fighting game control layout and horizontal screen. They're closer to $500 instead of $100 after you get everything done. I had actually thought about getting one before, but since I've got a Pandora 6 box, it's hard to justify it

As for how long the A1U cabs will last, it's hard to say. I've got some ikea style stuff built the same way that's lasted over 10 years. These A1U cabs also likely won't be beat up like the cabs in arcades were. Also, my A1U cab doesn't wobble or shake on carpeting or on it's riser

Also BillL announced: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284076-atgames-officially-unveils-legends-ultimate-home-arcade-full-size-machine/

Since it's AtGames, I'm not holding my breath

ok, another 1/4 scale review, scaling brought up at 10min mark:

this update from the company:

===============================

Numskull Designs

2 days ago

We're looking at solutions to this for the final release at the moment (we've already made several improvements and tweaks since this prototype).

We're not making much profit on it as it is (it really is made of high quality materials!) but we're working hard to make it as amazing as possible!

and

Numskull Designs

2 days ago

This is still an early version - it's definitely something we're looking at for the final release version.

We've already made several important tweaks since this version, including improved sound, better volume control, a more authentic metal back, a battery LED display, etc.

And it's fixed now:

Problem is it's still 15k for the extra, and 5 men to start,

which have never been defaults.

don't tell madlittlepixel about it, he will have a heart attack, and post 10 videos claiming the company

is a fraud and a failure, and that there stuff is junk. geez.

later

Edited by negative1

this update from the company:

===============================

Numskull Designs

2 days ago

We're looking at solutions to this for the final release at the moment (we've already made several improvements and tweaks since this prototype).

We're not making much profit on it as it is (it really is made of high quality materials!) but we're working hard to make it as amazing as possible!

and

Numskull Designs

2 days ago

This is still an early version - it's definitely something we're looking at for the final release version.

We've already made several important tweaks since this version, including improved sound, better volume control, a more authentic metal back, a battery LED display, etc.

And it's fixed now:

Problem is it's still 15k for the extra, and 5 men to start,

which have never been defaults.

don't tell madlittlepixel about it, he will have a heart attack, and post 10 videos claiming the company

is a fraud and a failure, and that there stuff is junk. geez.

later

I am glad they are fixing this. Also how are they not making much profit on the $200 quarter scale unit? Arcade 1Up is selling 3/4 scale units for $300. 3x larger for 50% more price? Something does not add up.

Also if Numskull is making authentic arcade replicas, they need to have user adjustable dipswitches, preferably not so small you need a microscope to adjust them.

I am glad they are fixing this. Also how are they not making much profit on the $200 quarter scale unit? Arcade 1Up is selling 3/4 scale units for $300. 3x larger for 50% more price? Something does not add up.

While the A1U components are not really junk, everything on it is below average quality (or a lot less, namely the spinner). The board itself is basically a Pandora's Box clone. If you add it all up, they likely have all the parts, construction, packaging, and shipping at <$60 (maybe <$50)

With the Numskull cab, it's smaller, but it supposedly has much higher quality. Then you add more expensive custom controls (good working tiny custom controls are not cheap). I've got no idea of what they're using for the board & lcd panel, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't also more expensive (say a rPi3B+ and a AAA rated panel). Add in that they won't ship nearly as many cabs as A1U will and then that's fewer cabs to spread the development cost over

Yeah, I can see them not making much profit with them

• Like 3

While the A1U components are not really junk, everything on it is below average quality (or a lot less, namely the spinner). The board itself is basically a Pandora's Box clone. If you add it all up, they likely have all the parts, construction, packaging, and shipping at <$60 (maybe <$50)

You can easily upgrade the joystick / buttons with higher quality drop in replacements. Spinners might be more difficult. Galaga demo units I have seen at Walmart oddly have a groove cut in the panel as the means of a joystick restrictor. I wish I could actually remove that chunk of plexiglass so I can feel the controls. I also hope the 1UP Pacman cab doesn't come with an 8-way, or someone's getting smacked.

EDIT: Galaga / Galaxian Machine is Walmart exclusive, available November 1st! :cool:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcade1Up-Galaga-Machine-Walmart-Exclusive-4ft/595505982

• Like 1

EDIT: Galaga / Galaxian Machine is Walmart exclusive, available November 1st! :cool:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcade1Up-Galaga-Machine-Walmart-Exclusive-4ft/595505982

Got one... :cool:

I picked up a Galaga at Walmart today. It's pretty badass, especially compared to the pint sized stuff they've previously sold at Walmart:

45674081431_cf6ce0b178_h.jpg

You don't really need the risers if you play sitting in a chair. This is the legit arcade ROM playing; as both Galaga and Galaxian are present. Lag is very slight, not enough to really affect gameplay. There are also occasional pops in the audio but nothing game breaking. Also like the My Arcade and Basic Fun units, there are three volume settings, off, loud, and really loud. Speaker driver is of decent size and replicates the full sound spectrum of the arcade game adequately.

I scored 57k points tonight, first night playing. This thing is legit, and it does retain high scores when you turn it off. If you leave it running after selecting a game, it will stay in attract mode. Only thing I wish the bezel lit up, but other than that, it's solid.

A couple hiccups during construction I might mention. Although assembly went pretty smooth, there were some specs of debris trapped underneath the bezel so I had to take the acrylic cover off and clean underneath it with a microfiber cloth. There was also a blemish on the bottom artwork which mostly cleaned off with isopropyl, due to adhesive from the shrink wrap making contact with the artwork.

I think this cabinet is fine for home use. The slightly smaller form factor makes it easier to place, though it definitely won't hold up to commercial use. It's equally as great as a display piece as it is functional.

Two thumbs up for what it's worth... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You sir are clearly a Galaga sucker.. and my hat's off to you! :) The unit looks really sharp to me. So it gets the thumbs up eh?

Yep, Lol!

Okay, remember that one guy who got his Ms Pacman corrupted on the Cracker Barrel 2-in-1? It's because he tested Digdug first.

Normally, you select Ms Pacman or Galaga, then play game. But if you

hit up, up, up, down, down, down, left, right, left, right, left on the select screen, it goes ding, ding, ding

and boots into Dig Dug.

Well here's where it gets dicey: Play a full round of Dig Dug, or just sit and the title screen and wait. It will return to the game select screen. Now start Ms Pacman, and the maze will be corrupt until you turn off the power (or game goes to sleep). You can still finish each round though. I made it to the third maze and the banana with fubar maze graphics.

Look at the edges of the pac maze. They are jagged like the Dig Dug tunnels. Somehow playing Dig Dug corrupts the memory somehow that the paths leave "holes" in the pac maze. Galaga still plays normally however.

I'll post a video demonstrating this effect later this weekend. It's not a bug; it's a feature. Double Secret hidden corrupted Ms Pacman... :cool: