IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Ah yes the Crispy Cassette thing. Most of the work is done so it would be an easy run on kickstarter to get the housing going.

If it's ever made I would not want a walkman style case, it's too unconventional. Just give us 2 ports, a cart slot, and 6 switches. In an easily accessible formfactor.

• Like 4

Good! I would like stronger controllers.

I'm still enjoying mine. Love the concept, a small footprint, and I've had fun with it.

I thought part of the beauty of this system was the Stella emulation could be updated by the fan community through the micro SD card?

Yes, I am still happy with mine as well :)

• Like 1

I always say, if they could do it with the Star Wars and Walking Dead plug and play guns, can't be too hard.

It's easy enough with flat panel arcade games. Some older games had the gun mounted on a swivel stick which functioned as an analog joystick. Once calibrated by a technician, it was good to go. More modern systems probably employ a wiimote like device. If you place infrared LEDs in the four corners of the screen, then calibrate for overscan settings, the Wiimote type device would be as accurate if not moreso than any old school light gun. Big screen TVs are perfect for playing gun games, but the ship has sailed with the Wii and likely isn't coming back any time soon. It would also be possible for a hidef camera inside the gun to detect patterns onscreen (these patterns would also sync for lag) without the useage of ir beacons. However like the Wiimote, that ship has sailed. I just don't see gun games making a return to home video game consoles, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Best scenario for playing Duck Hunt or Hogan's Alley on a flat panel screen is a soft-modded Wii. You'll still need cursors for the sights since the aim isn't going to be true.

It's easy enough with flat panel arcade games. Some older games had the gun mounted on a swivel stick which functioned as an analog joystick. Once calibrated by a technician, it was good to go. More modern systems probably employ a wiimote like device. If you place infrared LEDs in the four corners of the screen, then calibrate for overscan settings, the Wiimote type device would be as accurate if not moreso than any old school light gun. Big screen TVs are perfect for playing gun games, but the ship has sailed with the Wii and likely isn't coming back any time soon. It would also be possible for a hidef camera inside the gun to detect patterns onscreen (these patterns would also sync for lag) without the useage of ir beacons. However like the Wiimote, that ship has sailed. I just don't see gun games making a return to home video game consoles, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Best scenario for playing Duck Hunt or Hogan's Alley on a flat panel screen is a soft-modded Wii. You'll still need cursors for the sights since the aim isn't going to be true.

Except for this:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6997825

The Retron 77 seems to be back in stock: https://hyperkinlab.com/retron-77-hd-gaming-console-for-2600-hyperkin/

Not sure if this batch has the stronger joystick.

And a "California's Proposition 65" warning has been added; is that because of the type of plastic being used?

Wow a piece of junk that may also cause cancer. Where do I sign up!? :roll:

I don't think the RetroN 77 is a piece of junk... I just think it's badly underutilizing it's hardware potential.

As for the other... pretty-much everything causes cancer now. I have a coffee mug from my job that was given out to employees, and it has one of those "contains chemicals known to cause cancer" stickers right on the bottom of it.

Needless to say - I just use it for holding pens. If my employers want to kill me, they're going to have to try harder than that. ;)

• Like 5

The Retron 77 seems to be back in stock:

And a "California's Proposition 65" warning has been added; is that because of the type of plastic being used?

Originally the proposition applied to anything with lead in it. Then they started adding so many "possible carcinogens" to the list that most manufacturers can't keep up. Either don't sell in California, or put a warning on literally everything, effectively making the warning useless.

So yeah, everything causes cancer, but only in the state of California. So my personal recommendation: if you don't want to get cancer, don't travel to California... :ponder:

• Like 2

So yeah, everything causes cancer, but only in the state of California. So my personal recommendation: if you don't want to get cancer, don't travel to California... :ponder:

Did you at least had a look at the details here before you made fun of it? :roll:

Tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA) is still being critically evaluated, Bisphenol A (BPA) is a known serious thread to health (especially children) and Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP) is forbidden for toys and baby clothing in the EU.

This is nothing to make fun of.

• Like 1

Something that causes cancer in California won't cause cancer outside the state? But what if you bring it back in, then it starts causing it again?

• Like 1

Something that causes cancer in California won't cause cancer outside the state? But what if you bring it back in, then it starts causing it again?

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Yes, but the exact wording of the proposition seems to indicate the agents will only have the undesired effects within the state boundaries or are unknown elseshere. If California determined that water could somehow cause or contribute to the spread of cancer, they would start affixing it to water bottles.

Damn, I just realized all cancer patients are 70% water, just like healthy people. That would be cause for alarm. Water helps transfer vital fluids and nutrients through our body. Then it musf also facilitate the spread of cancer as well. All food and beverage contain some percentage of water, so everything has potential to be a cancer causjng agent. We drink water almost every day of our lives; we all gonna die, so water ranks pretty high on the death agent scale. It's also a prime delivery method for a host of soluble and insoluble poisons. :skull:

Learn the real dangers of dihydrogen monoxide (dhmo). Did you know people die every year from huffing the liquid dhmo found in our rivers, lakes, and streams? Most people consume so much dhmo on a daily basis that they will die if abruptly taken off it. And don't get me started on the amount of crimes committed under the influence of dhmo. Every seasoned criminal has a blood dhmo of nearly 98%. That's too much...

Did you at least had a look at the details here before you made fun of it? :roll:

Tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA) is still being critically evaluated, Bisphenol A (BPA) is a known serious thread to health (especially children) and Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP) is forbidden for toys and baby clothing in the EU.

This is nothing to make fun of.

With all due respect, it is fear mongering to assume that any device with this affixed label is somehow hazardous to your health when used according to the product guidelines. If a company does not want or cannot afford to meet the rigorous testing procedure outlined in prop 65, then they will just blanket apply the decal to every product. Retron is protecting themselves from lawsuits by affixing it.

If you took the retron77, ground it into a fine powder using a blender, then poured said powder into a milkshake and drank all of it, then yes, bad things will probably happen inside your body.

The Retron77 is not a food contact surface. Nobody is eating off of it, slobbering on it, or heaven forbid, actually ingesting the retron. I chewed vinyl teethers as a baby kn the early 80s (loaded with phthalates which are now banned in all food and baby products) and turned out just fine. Handling the joysticks or system with bare dry hands will not leech dangerous chemicals into your skin/body.

• Like 2

Before this get's political, I will only add that e.g BPA is absorbed via the skin and is regularly e.g. used in handles to make them feel more comfortable. In this case that would be e.g. the joystick. Fortunately the original Retron77 joystick is breaking easily.

BTW: I suppose you know that the argument that one person did not get harmed by something (smoking, alcohol, asbestos...) is a none argument.

BTW: I suppose you know that the argument that one person did not get harmed by something (smoking, alcohol, asbestos...) is a none argument.

I have inadvertantly "huffed" flux vapors on multiple occasions from doing electronics work using 60/40 leaded solder. I worked with ceramic glazes and oil paints conaining lead while in college, then left class and immediately proceeded to eat lunch without washing my hands. I distinctly remember in 2003 eating a sub sandwich one day with red / yellow cadmium based pigment still visible under my fingernails. Could I have used better judgement / hygeine? Sure.

[begin sarcasm mode]

However I have never suffered ill effects or succumbed to lead or heavy metal poisoning. Because I have exposed myself to toxic meterials without ill effect, I can safely deduce that anyone else who exposes themselves to similar materials and concentration levels will not have ill effect.

I ate a jar of peanut butter. I got stung by a bee. I did not go into aphalactic shock on either occasion. Therefore, anyone else who exposes themselves to peanuts or bee venom should be fine.

[End sarcasm mode]

In all seriousness, I still use leaded solder and have developed a stockpile of it in my toolbox in case it gets banned in the future. The copper / tin / silver rohs compliant crap simply does not flow like the good old stuff and is impossibly frustrating to work with.

I am also picking back up ceramics as a hobby. However all my glaze formulations moving forward are lead/cadmium free. Lead fluxes have been largely replaced by non-toxic oxides and fluxants which provide the same flow effect and glassy surface as PbO but do not leech toxic heavy metals into food nor pose an occupational risk to potters / ceramicists.

So while my pots are food safe, my electronics isn't RoHS compliant. It is what it is. And if I ever ship a joystick to California, it's getting a Prop65 notice in the box... :roll:

The Retron77 is not a food contact surface. Nobody is eating off of it, slobbering on it, or heaven forbid, actually ingesting the retron. I chewed vinyl teethers as a baby kn the early 80s (loaded with phthalates which are now banned in all food and baby products) and turned out just fine. Handling the joysticks or system with bare dry hands will not leech dangerous chemicals into your skin/body.

I used to put my pizza on the VCS and pretend I was grilling just like daddy

• Like 5

When I first saw that cancer label, it was on a Misfits coffee mug I was about to buy at Guitar Center, so I did Not buy it! I thought why would the Chinese make a coffee mug with a cool Misfits skull on the side and then use something cancerous in its construction and furthermore why would Guitar Center sell such a thing? Yeah, you'd think the American band The Misfits could get a coffee mug made in L.A. or something wouldn't you?

Now, At First I did take it very seriously,....Then I began to see that label popping up everywhere...I wish I could remember everywhere I saw it...It was on toys, it was on my weedeater and in 4 more spots in short order. Then I read it carefully and it reads like only the State of California knows about it...

At that point it gets harder to take it seriously.

And they only put it on plastic, painted, and ceramic, etc. consumer goods...

Now, on the other hand, they have extensive research about the ingredients used in Antibiotics that are fed to cattle (to keep them alive on the way to the slaughterhouse) showing they (The ingredients used in the manufacture of the antibiotics, not the cows themselves) cause cancer in humans, and this stuff goes into things people eat! Yet there is no warning!

And yes I know the Beef Council is not going to be sticking up for plastics...

But if ever there should be a warning to prove they care about people...

• Like 2