IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Kickstarter is now live!

Bmack36

For sure . Out of the box it's worth it. Left new in the box in a year or so it will be worth more. But I am buying to use. one board for rebuild and a 3rd as either said investment or as a gift.

I have ordered 3 items so everyone else should be able to do at least 2.

1)the cib Sydney hunter + collectorvision console - 225 USD

2)the bare pcb board - 150 USD

3)the collectorvision console + 1 controller - 209 USD

You've got me thinking that I may just add a bare board to my pledged which currently stands at two consoles. Might be fun trying to put it into one of my CV shells and have it work using the original power switch and reset button (well the plastic parts anyway) and with HDMI fitted to the back.

So, with this in mind, a question for Brian. Do the 9 pin controller ports have the same spacing as the original CV? So, would the board fit in a CV shell with the controller ports aligned where they originally were and have the board still fit in the shell?

I have a question about the F18A compatibility.

Does the Phoenix have the F18A-MK2 enhancements ... i.e. will the fast 9918 and the fast TMS9900 core that is built into the F18A have acces to the whole 512KB of SRAM for new game developmen

It is listed as full F18A compatibility built-in. The details of the Phoenix, which are listed, do not include Matthew's updated and yet to be released F18A-MK2. Seeing as Matthew hasn't released his new version of the F18A, I can't imagine that he would allow CollectorVision to include support right off the bat... maybe a firmware update in the future would be possible if permitted.

Edited by NIAD

You've got me thinking that I may just add a bare board to my pledged which currently stands at two consoles. Might be fun trying to put it into one of my CV shells and have it work using the original power switch and reset button (well the plastic parts anyway) and with HDMI fitted to the back.

So, with this in mind, a question for Brian. Do the 9 pin controller ports have the same spacing as the original CV? So, would the board fit in a CV shell with the controller ports aligned where they originally were and have the board still fit in the shell?

The board doesn't fit in the case nicely, and will take a decent amount of effort to make it work.

post-45248-0-40669100-1540689707_thumb.jpg

You can see the full size board on the right to give you an idea about the location of the controller ports. To make the board fit in the front you would most likely have to remove the post with the screw near the expansion port as it would hit the sdcard. The board looks like it would fit towards the back of the system, but you would have to extend the controller and cartridge port.

It is listed as full F18A compatibility built-in. The details of the Phoenix, which are listed, do not include Matthew's updated and yet to be released F18A-MK2. Seeing as Matthew hasn't released his new version of the F18A, I can't imagine that he would allow CollectorVision to include support right off the bat... maybe a firmware update in the future would be possible if permitted.

Looks like the most practical way might be to align the cartridge connectors and use five short cables for the rest; Also, you could make the cables for the USB, HDMI and possibly the DB25 permanent longer interior/exterior cables, since they are in the back.

Edit: Oops, meant for Ikrananka

I think in plan B, we really need to put it in their face from moment one what the extra features of the Phoenix really provide, since they don't bother to look into it. For instance, it's improvements over the original console and FPGA cores in MiSTer and Analogue, like eliminating sprite flicker in games. Also, it seems everyone, even the reviewers, are clueless about the NES quality of some of the new homebrew games with and without the SGM and how you won't get that with other FPGA ColecoVision cores. Also, I'm not sure anyone knows what the new sex Courtney sound system is about. Ultimately, we have to let people know how this is worth more than $200 and better than the other Colecovision cores. I've read comments about how it would be better if the "optional components" were left off. Geez, you really want sprite flicker and to not be able to play like 100 SGM games? I just don't get the logic at all with most of these posts unless they are completely misunderstanding what is being offered.

• Like 3

The board doesn't fit in the case nicely, and will take a decent amount of effort to make it work.

You can see the full size board on the right to give you an idea about the location of the controller ports. To make the board fit in the front you would most likely have to remove the post with the screw near the expansion port as it would hit the sdcard. The board looks like it would fit towards the back of the system, but you would have to extend the controller and cartridge port.

Looks like the most practical way might be to align the cartridge connectors and use five short cables for the rest; Also, you could make the cables for the USB, HDMI and possibly the DB25 permanent longer interior/exterior cables, since they are in the back.

Certainly looks like it would be very tricky to make this work. Aligning the cart connector certainly seems like a good idea but it then looks like the Phoenix board would extend too far left and may clash with the recessed controller bays. Anyway, no point really speculating about it all now - something to consider in the future.

The biggest issue ALL of you are failing to REALIZE is Kickstarter is shitstarter

Kickstarters were abused by People Like Patrick Scott Patterson - Fact nothing ever came of the one that was funded 3 half assed wife filming episodes

The Nes club and nintendo club did fraud using it to fund the same film twice

many projects including new reading rainbow people got screwed etc

I am all FOR the new Coleco guys and add ons but I think using KS was a mistake

Edited by rjchamp3

I agree that crowdfunding these projects can lead to distrust and what not. Unfortunately, the principles cannot or won't put up the funding to get the ball rolling, if you will. That's why most of these project funders fail. They wish to provide a quality product. Well, hate to say it, but the future install base simply doesn't warrant that. Take this one for instance, there's 300 backers, give or take, with 10 days left. If you add in the late joiners, plus people who may want one but aren't willing to put up the $ now (before finished product), and what not, how many people are we talking about at the end of the day? Nowhere near 1,000. I mean, is that enough to justify a multi-six figure investment? Can't say, but there's so many consoles and clones coming over the next couple years, all targeted at the same retro gamer. The market is beyond saturated. So when so many roll their eyes on quality from say, At Games, keep in mind, they are providing a product to retail, at a reasonable cost, all without coming to the community for startup capital. I only pre-order from established retail sources now, as I know if the product doesn't ship, I get refunded.

• Like 2

Take this one for instance, there's 300 backers, give or take, with 10 days left. If you add in the late joiners, plus people who may want one but aren't willing to put up the $ now (before finished product), and what not, how many people are we talking about at the end of the day? Nowhere near 1,000. I mean, is that enough to justify a multi-six figure investment? Can't say, but there's so many consoles and clones coming over the next couple years, all targeted at the same retro gamer. The market is beyond saturated. So when so many roll their eyes on quality from say, At Games, keep in mind, they are providing a product to retail, at a reasonable cost, all without coming to the community for startup capital. I only pre-order from established retail sources now, as I know if the product doesn't ship, I get refunded.

Alright, so my main question to you would be: If the Phoenix does become available from an "established retail source" (online or brick-and-mortar) would you purchase one?

Beyond this, I do believe that 1000 units will find buyers, but it will probably take a couple of years to reach that milestone, with the help of a few well-known outlets. Just getting the Phoenix on Amazon would provide a boost in sales, although I don't know the basic requirements for selling stuff on Amazon (it probably doesn't work like a low-key flea market where you can sell whatever you want in any quantity you want) so I can't really say if it's realistically feasible or not. Perhaps others can shed some light on that particular subject, for CollectorVision's benefit?

Edited by Pixelboy

The biggest issue ALL of you are failing to REALIZE is Kickstarter is shitstarter

Kickstarters were abused by People Like Patrick Scott Patterson - Fact nothing ever came of the one that was funded 3 half assed wife filming episodes

It is absolute crap to use a couple of examples of abuse or fraud on Kickstarter as a means to justify that CollectorVision using KS was a mistake. I have backed 11 projects over the years on KS, 3 are still in progress as it is still before their planned delivery dates, while the remainder have ALL delivered on their promises. If one carefully considers who you back on KS then you can minimise your risk to an almost negligible level. I consider CollectorVision to be a zero risk proposition and as such have no hesitation in backing them. It's not the platform (KS) that is the issue here, it's who you choose to back.

In addition, it has already been pointed out that using KS has it's benefits even if the campaign fails to reach it's goal. Amongst these benefits is that CollectorVision will have access to a curated contact list of people who specifically and actively want a Phoenix system and will include many people who are not already CollectorVision customers. So, in effect it will at the very least be a free means of conducting a market survey and obtaining said contact list.

• Like 4

I agree that crowdfunding these projects can lead to distrust and what not. Unfortunately, the principles cannot or won't put up the funding to get the ball rolling, if you will. That's why most of these project funders fail. They wish to provide a quality product. Well, hate to say it, but the future install base simply doesn't warrant that. Take this one for instance, there's 300 backers, give or take, with 10 days left. If you add in the late joiners, plus people who may want one but aren't willing to put up the $ now (before finished product), and what not, how many people are we talking about at the end of the day? Nowhere near 1,000. I mean, is that enough to justify a multi-six figure investment? Can't say, but there's so many consoles and clones coming over the next couple years, all targeted at the same retro gamer. The market is beyond saturated. So when so many roll their eyes on quality from say, At Games, keep in mind, they are providing a product to retail, at a reasonable cost, all without coming to the community for startup capital. I only pre-order from established retail sources now, as I know if the product doesn't ship, I get refunded.

At Games is a HORRIBLE make the same garbage yearly company, they NEVER call you back or email you with your issues, I had broken systems they just take your money and run JUNK!!!!!

But I get your logic on the saturation of retro systems and re boots yup

Alright, so my main question to you would be: If the Phoenix does become available from an "established retail source" (online or brick-and-mortar) would you purchase one?

Beyond this, I do believe that 1000 units will find buyers, but it will probably take a couple of years to reach that milestone, with the help of a few well-known outlets. Just getting the Phoenix on Amazon would provide a boost in sales, although I don't know the basic requirements for selling stuff on Amazon (it probably doesn't work like a low-key flea market where you can sell whatever you want in any quantity you want) so I can't really say if it's realistically feasible or not. Perhaps others can shed some light on that particular subject, for CollectorVision's benefit?

I will 100% Purchase one

It is absolute crap to use a couple of examples of abuse or fraud on Kickstarter as a means to justify that CollectorVision using KS was a mistake. I have backed 11 projects over the years on KS, 3 are still in progress as it is still before their planned delivery dates, while the remainder have ALL delivered on their promises. If one carefully considers who you back on KS then you can minimise your risk to an almost negligible level. I consider CollectorVision to be a zero risk proposition and as such have no hesitation in backing them. It's not the platform (KS) that is the issue here, it's who you choose to back.

In addition, it has already been pointed out that using KS has it's benefits even if the campaign fails to reach it's goal. Amongst these benefits is that CollectorVision will have access to a curated contact list of people who specifically and actively want a Phoenix system and will include many people who are not already CollectorVision customers. So, in effect it will at the very least be a free means of conducting a market survey and obtaining said contact list.

It's more like a couple a thousand issues on Kickstarter maybe more this is why kickstarter changed policies

So your entitled to your so called view as I am mine

I also want to pledge for the early acces and Sydney Hunter CIB as well, but I don't like to leave credit card information on a website.

Is there an other way to back the project?

There ya go and your just one person this is my point thank you!!!!!

Sorry, but I am having difficutly understanding that argument.

Matthew is one of the prime developers of the Phoenix, at least according to the Kickstarter page. The Phoenix (from a hardware POV) is basically an F18A-MK2 VDP-replacement but using a larger FPGA in order to emulate the rest of the CV hardware.

The Phoenix (a complete console) doesn't somehow compete with a future stand-alone F18A-MK2 (a replacement VDP for existing hardware boards). In my opinion, it is exactly the opposite, because having more F18A-MK2 compatible hardware out there would make it a more attractive target for homebrew, but that's just an opinion.

It would be nice if some we could get some good comments on Pat's video.

I'm trying to talk some sense into those kids, but it's difficult.. the YouTube comments section being a vast wasteland and all, as AtariLeaf once described it. Some people just want to troll it seems and have zero concrete facts or evidence, when it comes to most things. However, I'll keep trying to do my best to set the record straight and slay the trolls.

• Like 2

I backed a project recently that came out 3 months earlier than the plan. In fact it shouldn't have been released yet.

Kickstarter is great if you don't choose to back anything dumb. I know that I have backed 6 projects and received all on time or earlier. The fact there are multiple videos of this thing in action means it shouldn't be the typical problem you have probably seen in other projects.

Well before shit starter kickstarter projects were funded and done different ways GOD forbid we go back to the hardworking ways to get things funded and produced

I will say I partially agree with this. However, it is a modern form of investment. Instead of getting a % of sales we get a product instead.

I just know I have had good luck with all the stuff I have backed on KS.