IGNORED

VAST: Sparky’s Late Again!

Airshack

As per usual Sparkdrummer is late for yet another Valley of the Sun TI Users Group Meetup. Your comments are encouraged.

Was going to ask him if he knew the whereabouts of Dr Ron Albright, of Orphan Chronicles?

Were the Collins Game Programmers starter packs ever shipped?

I guess Ill just play attack of the creepers until the old creeper himself arrives.

Join us next time youre in Phoenix!

Airshack

VAST Vice President

post-46538-0-47391000-1540831642_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

First order of business at this month's VAST Meetup was examining the club's latest addition from www.shopgoodwill.com:

Sidecar Memory Expansion test -- CHECK!

Sidecar Disk Controller test -- CHECK!

Sidecar RS-232 test -- CHECK!

TI's External Disk Drive test -- CHECK!

Quite amazing to see all this equipment working like-new after all these years. Survived a Goodwill donation (God only knows what they did with them) and cross-country shipping.

The biggest surprise was opening the box with the three auctioned sidecars only to discover Goodwill added three items not listed: Speech Synth, Xbox360 Hard Drive, and TI External Disk Drive.

Feeling Lucky!

Next Step: Locate documentation for the sidecars.

Question: Anyone know if hooking all this up with a modded Speech module **with 5V power pass-thru** will have a negative impact on the performance/health of the sidecars?

post-46538-0-58372600-1540846340.jpg

post-46538-0-61403600-1540846769.jpg

post-46538-0-78761700-1540846778.jpg

post-46538-0-17538800-1540846788.jpg

post-46538-0-14541700-1540846801.jpg

post-46538-0-18268900-1540846808.jpg

post-46538-0-37391000-1540846817.jpg

post-46538-0-09660800-1540847157_thumb.png

• Like 3

I still get a laugh when I see all those daisy chained components! Stuff sure as bigger back in the early 80's!

post-46538-0-17538800-1540846788.jpg

I bet some people would want to knock me upside the head for the following comment, but I'd gut those old side-car boxes and re-task them with more modern components.

Omega is obviously jealous because my 99/4 is longer than his!

• Like 1

No difference than plugging it into the console

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Greg, Thanks!

I was wondering because it does in fact deliver power to a single contact. That power comes from the console so...I am concerned about that pin being active supplying unexpected power to the sidecar chain.

It’s true the power on that pin provides power to the new sidecar 32k card, and it plays well with the PEB.

Just want to be sure before I use a modded speech module with these less-understood components.

What do you know to put me at ease here?

-James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Greg, Thanks!

I was wondering because it does in fact deliver power to a single contact. That power comes from the console so...I am concerned about that pin being active supplying unexpected power to the sidecar chain.

It’s true the power on that pin provides power to the new sidecar 32k card, and it plays well with the PEB.

Just want to be sure before I use a modded speech module with these less-understood components.

What do you know to put me at ease here?

-James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So if you plug in those sidecar devices directly into the console it would be exactly the same power on exactly the same pin so they must be designed just to ignore that power and use the power from their internal power supplies otherwise if you plugged it into your console without a speech synthesizer kablammo

• Like 1

So if you plug in those sidecar devices directly into the console it would be exactly the same power on exactly the same pin so they must be designed just to ignore that power and use the power from their internal power supplies otherwise if you plugged it into your console without a speech synthesizer kablammo

That's right and kind of obvious now. Thanks Greg. Clear. No Kablammo is good.

Edited by Airshack

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Airshack said:

VAST Meetup in Dec 2020 was a success with 100% member participation. 

...Only 2 members, total?:twisted:

Almost didn't recognize you with your Jolly Rodgers on. Is that Bill or Luke, looming behind you? If that's @sparkdrummer, I'll have to try and find him in one of the many TIer's vids. that are lingering around ...in order to make the name/face connection!:)

• Like 1

It was a good meeting. We met at a different DD that had the dining room open and we liked it better than the old location! I got to watch a complete play thru of the Captain’s soon to be released game and we were able to escape, took a few plays though...

Anyway, we have a new place to meet and the coffee was good( and free for me, thanks Cap!) and the VAST club rides again. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

We just wrapped-up the last VAST meetup of 2020. Looking forward to seeing 100% membership participation in 2021.

4B5EB87A-CE16-4B04-BBE1-E4FCA3540A58.thumb.jpeg.661db5827ed0b355306827f437502990.jpeg

Here’s a nice shot of @sparkdrummer getting his a$$ handed to him in a round of 2000-era PC (Sierra) pinball. Seriously an epic trouncing. Duncan Donuts on Bell is now considered a crime scene.

• Like 3