IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Finished my McWill mod today on the Lynx 2.

All went well, I used an IDE cable and labelled each wire with a piece of tape so I knew where it went on the LCD. When I checked the voltage at the beginning I had 5.65v so it was out of spec, I discovered that D13 had the wrong diode fitted in a previous repair, once I changed this to the correct part it dropped to 4.7v so I assumed this would be okay.

Had one small problem though, the ribbon connector for the membrane, seemed to be missing some conductive traces on the edge so causing problems with the keypads and the led not always lighting so had no choice but to trim or part of th damaged edge, but seems to be fine now. If all else fails I reckon I might have to get another menbrane fom another unit. I dont want to have to recap another board and start over!

It fired up first time and I was super impressed by the quality of the screen. The Lynx game developers never could have envisioned that we would ever see the detail which was included in the game graphics and the absolutely fantastic colours on screen, so vibrant and colourful. iPad photos dont do it justice.

post-66222-0-84363900-1540683554_thumb.jpeg

post-66222-0-89845600-1540683579_thumb.jpeg

post-66222-0-01996600-1540683600_thumb.jpeg

post-66222-0-96695000-1540683636_thumb.jpeg

Edited by allthingsanalogue
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

No. The suggestion is to use a black magic marker and gently “paint” the edges, which is what I did on my Lynx 1. Looks great.

In previous batch there wasn't this issue on lynx 2. On lynx 1 you can adjust the screen a little due to the plastic screw and "open hole" on the MB but you can't on lynx 2 (metal screw and entire hole)

I've just about finished my installation now but I've encountered a strange issue. I'm unable to to switch between all the display modes properly. I can switch between the Lynx screen and my VGA monitor but it will not display the retro mode with scanlines on either screen. I noticed that when I press and hold the backlight button on the Lynx it will show scanlines but as soon as a release pressure on the button it presumably switches to the next mode and I am unable to see them.

Anybody encountered this issue before? I have a feeling that the mod is working perfectly and it's my Lynx that has a dodgy button or something.

In previous batch there wasn't this issue on lynx 2. On lynx 1 you can adjust the screen a little due to the plastic screw and "open hole" on the MB but you can't on lynx 2 (metal screw and entire hole)

I've done about 4 of these now and I've always had that silver strip visible. Doesn't both me as I honestly don't notice it when I'm playing. I've never bothered to sharpie it or paint it either. But even my first lynx2 I modded 2 years ago has this. You are correct though in that due to the holes used there isn't any lateral adjustments that can be made. I'm assuming the hold could be made to be elongated to allow for this, but then you run the risk of the panel sliding loose over time etc. One thing you could do, is save and reuse one side of the felt that used to line the original LCD that you removed. Take one of the top sections of that felt and remove it carefully. Cut it to the same length and glue is down in place with a few small drops of super glue or something similar. That would likely give a more consistent look along that side and help?

I've just about finished my installation now but I've encountered a strange issue. I'm unable to to switch between all the display modes properly. I can switch between the Lynx screen and my VGA monitor but it will not display the retro mode with scanlines on either screen. I noticed that when I press and hold the backlight button on the Lynx it will show scanlines but as soon as a release pressure on the button it presumably switches to the next mode and I am unable to see them.

Anybody encountered this issue before? I have a feeling that the mod is working perfectly and it's my Lynx that has a dodgy button or something.

Same here on my last installation. Curious if there’s a solution??

Same here on my last installation. Curious if there’s a solution??

So this didn't occur with your other installs? I just tried my new screen and motherboard in 2 different Lynx cases and it is doing the same thing so I don't think it is an issue with the backlight button anymore.

One click on the backlight button is registering as 2 clicks so I can only seem to get 2 modes: Lynx screen on with no scanlines and VGA monitor on with scanlines.

Here is a picture of what I've done so far. Does everything look okay to you?

post-64752-0-99255800-1542906995_thumb.jpg

So this didn't occur with your other installs? Does everything look okay to you?

I’ve done countless installs and this is a first for me. From what I can see, everything looks good. Your soldering skills are on point!

My guess is it’s faulty screens???? I think we need to make an appointment with Dr. McWill.....

So this didn't occur with your other installs? I just tried my new screen and motherboard in 2 different Lynx cases and it is doing the same thing so I don't think it is an issue with the backlight button anymore.

One click on the backlight button is registering as 2 clicks so I can only seem to get 2 modes: Lynx screen on with no scanlines and VGA monitor on with scanlines.

Here is a picture of what I've done so far. Does everything look okay to you?

Out of curiosity, try taking the vga portion of the wiring off and then run a wire from pin1 (Menu) along the line where you have the backlight wire attached on the LCD to the ground at the top of the VGA connections. Then see if the backlight button works for standard LCD and pseudo scanline mode?

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Yes I noticed that too, and it wasn't the case before.

It was the case since the 1st batch, because the LCD is a little bit smaller than the original one.

So you can see some of the silver LCD housing, sometimes only on the left or on both sides a little bit. I would also suggest to use a black marker.

I guess the old backlight ON/OFF circuit is faulty. Try to exchange the 74HC74.

The LCD mod only gets the info ON/OFF from this circuit, so the LCD mod can't be faulty.

Edited by McWill

It was the case since the 1st batch, because the LCD is a little bit smaller than the original one.

So you can see some of the silver LCD housing, sometimes only on the left or on both sides a little bit. I would also suggest to use a black marker.

I guess the old backlight ON/OFF circuit is faulty. Try to exchange the 74HC74.

The LCD mod only gets the info ON/OFF from this circuit, so the LCD mod can't be faulty.

Thanks I will try that. Where is that part located on the motherboard? Is it a part still in production or will I have to get it from an old Lynx II?

• Like 1

Thanks I will try that. Where is that part located on the motherboard? Is it a part still in production or will I have to get it from an old Lynx II?

I have seen you used the wrong pin at the 74HC74 (the blue backlight wire). Please change and I guess it will working correctly. Edited by McWill
  • Like 1

I have seen you used the wrong pin at the 74HC74 (the blue backlight wire). Please change and I guess it will working correctly.

I just looked at his pic again and your correct. He has it attached off pin 3 instead of pin 2. His capacitor folded over is covering pin 1. Tricky...tricky...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, need some help. I am about to bust out my McWill Lynx LCD Mod unit and do some gaming.

I seem to have forgot which button/s switch through the various screen modes. Does anyone have a set of instructions anywhere?

I can find the "install" instructions all over the internet, but nowhere can I find which buttons switch between screens. I assume the brightness wheel switches between the screen and the VGA (as I recall.)

Thanks again! And I promise to write this down somewhere so I won't forget it again!