IGNORED

ed assem on disk

lately I have been trying to find Atari Ed Assem cartridge on eBay at a reasonable cost but to no avail. I want to get back into 6502 assembler (yes I know there are better assemblers the EA but all the beginner books use EA) and need the Ed Assem.

SO I got to thinking, it shouldn't be too difficult to convert the EA for booting off disk. It's just an 8mg cart. I have made a few attempts at converting to no success since I'm still learning about headers and such. I did find an .atr image that someone seems to have attempted it, but it never worked.

question is, is there any reason why this won't work and if it can could some covert a .rom for me and tell me how you did it for future reference.

thx, HLO

PS also, I know I could just use an Altirra and the EA.rom (which I now do) but I like going old school with my 800xl from time to time complete with carts and disk.

Could be you need to initial the computer before you load the binary. If you don't lower ramtop to below the cartridge space the OS will be thinking it can set up the display in the same area. There should be a couple of these already floating around. I think Russ uploaded both BASIC & the ED/ASM on an ATR to the message base here.

Could be you need to initial the computer before you load the binary. If you don't lower ramtop to below the cartridge space the OS will be thinking it can set up the display in the same area. There should be a couple of these already floating around. I think Russ uploaded both BASIC & the ED/ASM on an ATR to the message base here.

the one ed/assm on disk I found crashed. I think it was a BASIC Ed/Assm.

...at a reasonable cost but to no avail...

I think that explains why....

the last ed/assm cart that was on sale on ebay was 2 months ago and they wanted $40.00 for for without the manual (FYI, the manual is going for as $30-$80 all by it's self, Thank gawd I already got the manual).

my last ditch effort if I can't figure out how to make a disk will be to make one myself using my AtariMAX maxflash hardware/software that'll cost about $30.00. I already did that for my Action and BASIC XL.

Edited by hloberg

asm.zip

Executable of Atari AsmEd which I made in the 80s before I had a disk drive.

It's got a stub of code that lives just under the screen around $9B80 so you'll crash if you open any graphics mode that uses more than 1K memory.

It works best with Dos 2.x and with Basic enabled.

I don't think it survives a reset with Basic disabled.

You can switch between it and Basic with Shift+Reset. But in emulation that combo does a coldstart so in that case press Shift quickly after F5 for Reset. Doing a switch will coldstart the cartrdige so save your program first.

• Like 2

You could construct a workalike. AtariMax cart as doc mentioned... or the classic way: B&C & BEST sell Atari eprom compatible cart PCB's that supposedly fit in the old brown carts.. $9.99 I think? Then add a brown shell at least one of those sell... eproms are a couple dollars, and many here can burn one for you. Someone on the forums here also mentioned they had extra brown shells.

Another idea is to replace the internal BASIC ROM in your 800XL with an EPROM of ASM/ED. Use a 2764-27512 --> 2364/2564 adapter board from Retro Innovations: http://store.go4retro.com/2364-adapter/

2764 for just ASM/ED, or with a larger 27128 you can install a switch to toggle between BASIC and ASM/ED. 27256 for 4 (add altirra BASIC and a game?), 27512 for 8 different 8K ROMs on 1 chip. (Overkill heh). The adapter board has solder points for the switches for the bank switching.

I've tried that adapter myself and it works... I can program an eprom for you if you're interested in that route.

• Like 2

the last ed/assm cart that was on sale on ebay was 2 months ago and they wanted $40.00 for for without the manual (FYI, the manual is going for as $30-$80 all by it's self, Thank gawd I already got the manual).

my last ditch effort if I can't figure out how to make a disk will be to make one myself using my AtariMAX maxflash hardware/software that'll cost about $30.00. I already did that for my Action and BASIC XL.

you're going to hate me for my ebay haul from 1 seller a couple days ago..... Honestly I was mainly super stoked about the SDX cart, the others were all combined shipping after that so I grabbed them all! I already have an ASMED cart, so I'd be willing to part with it. :P

post-53052-0-94357200-1541135220_thumb.png

• Like 3

IMO if you have an AtariMax cart or other means of replicating the cartridge environment then no reason really not to just do a Mac-65.

The only strength IMO that AsmEd has over it is that the inline debugger is a less steep learning curve and probably better suited to someone just starting out since you can have a screenful of step/trace info when testing programs.

• Like 3

you're going to hate me for my ebay haul from 1 seller a couple days ago..... Honestly I was mainly super stoked about the SDX cart, the others were all combined shipping after that so I grabbed them all! I already have an ASMED cart, so I'd be willing to part with it. :P

so your the guy! just kidding. ;)

message me and we can haggle. and thanks.

HLO

• Like 1

You could construct a workalike. AtariMax cart as doc mentioned... or the classic way: B&C & BEST sell Atari eprom compatible cart PCB's that supposedly fit in the old brown carts.. $9.99 I think? Then add a brown shell at least one of those sell... eproms are a couple dollars, and many here can burn one for you. Someone on the forums here also mentioned they had extra brown shells.

Another idea is to replace the internal BASIC ROM in your 800XL with an EPROM of ASM/ED. Use a 2764-27512 --> 2564 adapter board from Retro Innovations: http://store.go4retro.com/2364-adapter/

2764 for just ASM/ED, or with a larger 27128 you can install a switch to toggle between BASIC and ASM/ED. 27256 for 4 (add altirra BASIC and a game?), 27512 for 8 different 8K ROMs on 1 chip. (Overkill heh). The adapter board has solder points for the switches for the bank switching.

I've tried that adapter myself and it works... I can program an eprom for you if you're interested in that route.

i guess you could also get a cheap BASIC cartridge and flash as new ed/assm rom to it too.

guess you could also get a cheap BASIC cartridge and flash as new ed/assm rom to it too.

Kind of... your can't put a 2764 eprom directly in a standard Atari cart PCB made for mask ROMs. Options are an adapter like I mentioned above, or a 2564 eprom that has a compatible pinout, but are harder to find programmers for these days, or an Atari cart PCB designed to take 27xx eproms as I mentioned above.

Kind of... your can't put a 2764 eprom directly in a standard Atari cart PCB made for mask ROMs. Options are an adapter like I mentioned above, or a 2564 eprom that has a compatible pinout, but are harder to find programmers for these days, or an Atari cart PCB designed to take 27xx eproms as I mentioned above.

oh. not much experience with Atari carts. did some minor stuff with TI99 carts with much supervising. thanks for the info.

well it looks like in one form or the other I got an answer. thanks for all so some incredible answers and ideas! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the last thing I ever did in Assm was decades ago and was make a BASIC routine that tied the joysticks to a P/M. that code and my knowledge have been lost to time.

Now I can relearn and may even eventually graduate up to cross compilers. ;-)

again thanks.

You can easily fix the XEX provided at the atari wiki to work on the XL OS, attached is the "B" version.

since Atari editor assembler cartridges are getting as rare as hen's teeth this is the way to go if you want one. I created and tested a disk on my 800xl and it works fine. with my happy enhanced drive it takes about 8 seconds to boot (your mileage my vary). not instant but very acceptable. thanks all.

I started programming in assembly language using an EXE file of the Assembler/Editor and a clone of the Pill cartridge in my 800XL to avoid the wipe-out after pressing RESET key. It was very nice because I could toggle between Atari BASIC and ASED by poking PORTB, without rebooting to debug my fresh USR() routines from BASIC.

BTW, I used the SY6500 Instruction Set Summary (C016892 Rev.1) reference card and some of the Tom Hudson's Boot Camp articles in ANALOG magazine to learn 6502 Assembler :-D

• Like 1