IGNORED

Ultimate PC Interface and JZintv using LTO software

Got a couple screen shots last night of Device Manager but didn't get around to posting them yet. Hope to do that today, just in case it helps. IIRC you should see on extra USB device and two HID game controller items all appear under a USB node -- but not under the game controllers node. The forthcoming pictures should help.

If that doesn't happen at all, then the problem could be physical. The hardwired version has quite a few little wires to worry about, and even with the stress relief, it could be that one or more have come loose, I suppose. But first, let's try to rule out issues with the machine seeing the controller.

Hmmm... Here's the image in your document... I can't see the relevant part. The UPCI isn't a USB controller, it's under Human Interface Devices further up in the list.

post-35516-0-93126400-1541269405.png

If you can scroll up to the top part of the list, we could see if it's there.

Let me check from the command line to see if there's any output we could examine that way...

I right clicked on a ROM in the ROM list and chose the option to view the command line, and copied it to the clipboard, then ran it from the command line. So in my case, here's what that looked like:

D:\Users\Steve\Projects\Source\Repos\VINTage\Locutus\LtoFlash\bin\Debug\WPF\jzIntv\Win\bin\jzintv.exe  -e "D:\Users\Steve\Projects\perforce\intellivision\ROMs\EXEC.BIN" -g "D:\Users\Steve\Projects\perforce\intellivision\ROMs\GROM.BIN" -E "D:\Users\Steve\Projects\perforce\intellivision\ROMs\ECS.BIN" --kbdhackfile=D:\Users\Steve\Projects\perforce\intellivision\ROMs\hackfile12.cfg "D:\Users\Steve\Projects\perforce\intellivision\Bliss\roms\ASTRO.BIN"

I just launched the game, then quit and found the "output.txt" file. Here's the part of it that we care about -- which is near the top:

jzintv:  Initializing Master Component and peripherals...
active x: 0, 159, 8 active y: 4 195, 16
ay8910:  Automatic sliding-window setting: 9
joy:  Found 2 joystick(s)
joy:  Joystick JS0 "INTV-daptor"
joy:     2 axes, 0 trackball(s), 0 hat(s), 16 button(s)
joy:  Joystick JS1 "INTV-daptor"
joy:     2 axes, 0 trackball(s), 0 hat(s), 16 button(s)
cfg:  Binding 1 to PD0L_KP1 in map 0
cfg:  Binding 2 to PD0L_KP2 in map 0
cfg:  Binding 3 to PD0L_KP3 in map 0
cfg:  Binding 4 to PD0L_KP4 in map 0
cfg:  Binding 5 to PD0L_KP5 in map 0

Now, same command line, but without the UPCI plugged in:

jzintv:  Initializing Master Component and peripherals...
active x: 0, 159, 8 active y: 4 195, 16
ay8910:  Automatic sliding-window setting: 9
cfg:  Binding 1 to PD0L_KP1 in map 0
cfg:  Binding 2 to PD0L_KP2 in map 0
cfg:  Binding 3 to PD0L_KP3 in map 0
cfg:  Binding 4 to PD0L_KP4 in map 0
cfg:  Binding 5 to PD0L_KP5 in map 0

Note that there is no "joy:" in the second case.

If you could try a similar experiment and share the results, it could help.

Here is the right screenshot...Sorry about that.

jzIntv will execute the ROM 'Astrosmash!' with the following command line, based on the current settings:
C:\JZINTV\bin\jzintv.exe -e "C:\JZINTV\bin\EXEC.BIN" -g "C:\JZINTV\bin\GROM.BIN" -f0 -z5 --kbdhackfile=C:\JZINTV\hackfile12.cfg --kbdhackfile=C:\JZINTV\hackfile12.cfg "C:\JZINTV\rom\Mattel Electronics\Space Action Network\Astrosmash.rom"
I cannot seem to find the output.txt file. Where should I be looking for this information? Thank you.

UPCI not showing up.doc

Edited by JDog514

It seems that the UPCI is not present on your system.

Also, it seems you have the --kbdhack argument present twice.

To get the output file, you need to redirect the output. Here is what I recommend you try, from a command prompt:

C:\JZINTV\bin\jzintv.exe -e "C:\JZINTV\bin\EXEC.BIN" -g "C:\JZINTV\bin\GROM.BIN" -f0 -z5 --kbdhackfile=C:\JZINTV\hackfile12.cfg "C:\JZINTV\rom\Mattel Electronics\Space Action Network\Astrosmash.rom" > C:\JZINTV\output.txt

Based on your Device Manager screen shot, though, it's not likely you're going to get any 'joy:' in the output file. There are no game controllers in your device manager list. If the game controllers aren't there when your UPCI is plugged in, then the problem is either the hardware itself or drivers on the system.

Loading:
C:\JZINTV\rom\Mattel Electronics\Space Action Network\Astrosmash.rom
jzintv: Initializing Master Component and peripherals...
ay8910: Automatic sliding-window setting: 9
cfg: Binding 1 to PD0L_KP1 in map 0
cfg: Binding 2 to PD0L_KP2 in map 0
cfg: Binding 3 to PD0L_KP3 in map 0
cfg: Binding 4 to PD0L_KP4 in map 0
cfg: Binding 5 to PD0L_KP5 in map 0
cfg: Binding 6 to PD0L_KP6 in map 0
cfg: Binding 7 to PD0L_KP7 in map 0
cfg: Binding 8 to PD0L_KP8 in map 0
cfg: Binding 9 to PD0L_KP9 in map 0
cfg: Binding 0 to PD0L_KP0 in map 0
cfg: Binding - to PD0L_KPC in map 0
cfg: Binding = to PD0L_KPE in map 0

I have no joy: commands. Is there a way to fix the drivers first before I try to contact David about the interface? Thank you very much.

Not sure. Tinkering with drivers and the registry is always a little bit dangerous. If you choose "View>>Show hidden devices" in Device Manager, do you see that this device has ever been successfully installed? On my system, this is what I see when doing so, without the UPCI connected. The first screen shot illustrates how to show the hidden devices, the second shows that 8 HID-compliant game controllers have been connected. (Actually, it's probably just the same two, but connected to different USB ports -- there are two on the front of my system's case.)

post-35516-0-37422100-1541306048.png post-35516-0-40340400-1541306055.png

If you do see entries for HID-compliant game controller, it means that your UPCI worked at some point in the past (or something else, as that name is totally generic)... Perhaps uninstalling the devices would help, but I'd recommend great caution doing this sort of thing... You have to be confident you're removing the right drivers -- all of the ones for UPCI -- before reconnecting it.

But -- if you normally hear that little "chime" sound effect when you plug in a USB device -- and you do not hear it when you plug in your UPCI, then I'd guess it's likely a problem with the device. Hopefully it's just a loose cable that can be re-soldered.

If you haven't yet deleted the usb device records on the system, it's worth a try. There is a utility called USBDeview that can help distinguish the different records. Since you've tested on another system with a similar result, it's likely the device not the system.

Edited by mr_me

I'll see about trying this tool tonight. If that's the entire list of devices, while the UPCI is plugged in, it really seems that it's a hardware issue with your UPCI. That is, that table indicates that the system isn't detecting it at all. It also sounds like you've observed the same problem on two different machines, right?