IGNORED

CHI Friday - Companion gathering to Chicago TI World Faire

OLD CS1

Just a note to say have a great time this weekend, Everyone.

I'm unable to attend due to heavy commitments this weekend (and, admittedly, not enough advance planning). Unfortunate, too, since I live nearby in Uptown. But I think this extended gathering is a terrific companion event to the Faire, and I'm genuinely glad to see so much enthusiasm. I hope this can take place again next year. I'd certainly carve out time for it far in advance.

I made a donation and will be there in spirit.

Good work, Alan, on organizing and to everyone for pitching in. Have fun! Hope to see plenty of photos.

- Jerry

Thank you! Very much appreciated. Yes, I hope this is a-go for next year, too. So far it is great. We are all just sitting around doing stuff, chatting, just free-flow and form.

post-27864-0-33640300-1541780704_thumb.jpg

post-27864-0-98537200-1541780705_thumb.jpg

post-27864-0-64857300-1541780707_thumb.jpg

Beery also made it today, and we are expecting Owen soon. Maybe in time for lunch.

• Like 9

To finish off the CHI Friday event with a bang, we were able to get my RAMDisk up and running!!! Can't say I'm a fan of the new title screen, but it can be bypassed by holding down the shift key at power up.

Now, FarmerPotato and I are putting in some recovery work up in the hotel room!!

Thanks to OLD CS1, Vorticon, Lee Stewart (and Anna), FarmerPotato, pfleeman, Hal and John Shanafield, Steve from Canada, BeeryMiller, Barry Harmsen, and the rest of the gang who helped make today special. You guys rock!

post-24953-0-03824700-1541826832_thumb.jpeg

post-24953-0-07677600-1541826868_thumb.jpeg

post-24953-0-01876800-1541826903_thumb.jpeg

post-24953-0-98258400-1541826983_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Yes, today was indeed a great success and I owe a debt of gratitude to everyone who attended and everyone who contributed. No one who attended did not contribute, but some who did contribute were not able to attend.

I spent some time working on my game and fixing a few things myself. I am looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

• Like 6

To finish off the CHI Friday event with a bang, we were able to get my RAMDisk up and running!!! Can't say I'm a fan of the new title screen, but it can be bypassed by holding down the shift key at power up.

PM me sometime after the Faire when you're back home. I thought I got rid of all that display nonsense back in v8.32. I forgot - what happens when you hold down SHIFT, do you get the standard title screen?

You get whatever screen should be there. In XB2.7, holding SHIFT takes you to the regular 2.7 menu. If you DON'T hold SHIFT, it takes you straight to XB after the modded title screen.... weird.

Same with the GRAM Kracker. If you hold SHIFT, it takes you to whatever title screen you have stored in GROM0. If you DONT hold SHIFT, it actually auto-starts whatever module you have stored in module space.

But... holding SHIFT at startup makes everything function as it should. :)

Strange the GKXB used to Space Key to error out to XB Edit Mode.

I just changed it to any key if it could not find the LOAD file on that drive.

(i.e. 0 to 9 or A to Z)

Looking at the GKXB code SHIFT Key was not even looked for????

Edited by RXB

Strange the GKXB used to Space Key to error out to XB Edit Mode.

I just changed it to any key if it could not find the LOAD file on that drive.

(i.e. 0 to 9 or A to Z)

Looking at the GKXB code SHIFT Key was not even looked for????

So, the RAMDisk essentially monopolizes the power up routine. No matter what is supposed to happen at start up (regular start screen or an auto load menu, etc.) the RAMDisk supersedes that and displays the monstrosity of a title screen you see above. When the "Any Key" is pressed, it has another quirk in that a multicart menu or any other type of unique power up routines will not execute. It will take you directly to the contents of >6000 and run whatever the hell is there (I believe this to be true, though I have not seen the code).

So with XB2.7, it does not take me to the menu, rather it auto starts XB and puts me at the command prompt.

With my GRAM Kracker, all it does is autostart the module in the module space.

This is a long way of saying, "The shift key start up is not a function of the cartridges or the GK.... it just forces the machine to ignore/bypass the ROS startup routine and allows startup to proceed as normal. XB2.7 Bypasses the title screen and goes to its own menu system, the GK starts using its modded GROM0, etc.

• Like 1

I already have a proposal for next year, as well as working up proposals for future years. All told it was a great experience from the organizing end and it seems all involved were very happy, too. I am looking forward to expanding next year and will have details over the next week.

• Like 5

I already have a proposal for next year, as well as working up proposals for future years. All told it was a great experience from the organizing end and it seems all involved were very happy, too. I am looking forward to expanding next year and will have details over the next week.

I would like to extend my most heartfelt thanks to you for taking on the task of organizing all this. Great work!

Looking forward to next year and starting to think about a new interfacing project to demo. There will definitely be a robot (or two!) at the next Faire :D

• Like 5