IGNORED

TI Scramble - Scramble clone

Asmusr

I played this game again on the TI-99 Club Christmas Meeting (as Klaus called it), and strangely it exhibited graphics errors which also made the ship crash, as I've documented here:

post-8393-0-00670200-1387144748_thumb.jpg

post-8393-0-79668000-1387144765_thumb.jpg

But then we realized we were running Version 1.0, and Version 1.02 didn't exhibit these bugs.

These shots have been taken with my mobile phone from Klaus's LCD monitor.

And here is a video where Klaus played it, and it crashed on loading the level where the graphics errors appeared... I think this was also Version 1.0 (zipped because Atariage doesn't permit uploading 3GP files):

TI-Scramble Absturz.zip

One thing I noticed even in the latest version was that you can't always fire as fast as you'd like to. The arcade version is better here in that I think depressing the fire button releases one shot, and releasing it releases another, whereas on the TI-99, depressing the fire button doesn't always register, which makes it hard to destroy a row of fuel tanks in Stage 5 because you can't destroy them as fast as you'd like to and often crash into one you couldn't destroy in time.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

This is a highlight video from the Retro Faire 2013 in Vienna this december.

Our TI-99 Club got interviewed and we showed off TI-Scramble:

The segment is here: 2:16 - 3:00 min

You can see a TI-99, equipped with a F18A and running TI-Scramble.
Btw: you can also see the Atari Gamepad that we connected to the TI to play games. It's amazing handy.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm generally averse to necroposting (and am bracing myself for getting chastised about it) but I wanted to thank everyone in here for their great conversation and suggestions regarding the implementation of a classic game! It was the most useful thread that I've been able to find and, with help from it, I managed to implement my own version of Scramble in Scratch (which I use to show children the sort of games that can be built using Scratch with a little perseverance).

Long live the classic 8-bit computing scene (which, obviously, Scratch isn't a part of even though it does have a retro feel to getting the most out of it) and long live Scramble :)

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/156708703/#fullscreen for anyone who passes by and wants to see my Scratch version inspired through this thread...

Edited by Rok
  • Like 6

• 1 year later...

Apologies for reviving this old thread again, but is there any way of converting any of the files here (DSK, BIN or RPK) to the CTG format used in the Retropie TI emulator? I'm a huge Scramble fan and I'd absolutely love to be able to play this great port on my Pi.

I converted this using the tool, but I haven't been able to run the emulator to test it.

[Edit: This is not working.]

[Edit: Working file attached.]

tiscramble.ctg.zip

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2018 at 10:07 AM, Asmusr said:

I converted this using the tool, but I haven't been able to run the emulator to test it.

[Edit: This is not working.]

[Edit: Working file attached.]

tiscramble.ctg.zip 18.24 kB · 15 downloads

The game is not working correctly under Ti99Sim (tested on last version, V015). The ship has a collision problem with the missiles that cannot hit it. The ship instead can crash on the ground. The game is working fine under MESS/MAME and MiSTer TI99 core.

4 hours ago, tmop69 said:

The game is not working correctly under Ti99Sim (tested on last version, V015). The ship has a collision problem with the missiles that cannot hit it. The ship instead can crash on the ground. The game is working fine under MESS/MAME and MiSTer TI99 core.

And it also works fine on real hardware. Maybe a problem with the collision detection flag in Ti99Sim?

2 hours ago, Asmusr said:

And it also works fine on real hardware. Maybe a problem with the collision detection flag in Ti99Sim?

Your other games Flying Shark, Jey Set Willy, Knight Lore, Sabre Wulf, Sports and Titanium are working fine with TI99Sim, while Road Hunter have a similar problem with some of the collisions. All the titles are working fine in MiSTer (Flying Shark cannot be tested at the moment since its size is bigger of the 192KB max. image supported). I've not tested Bouncy's Obstacle Course, Pyjamarama, Skyway and Fork with TI99Sim, but all are working fine in MiSTer.

TI99Sim has problems with collisions only with Miner 2049er, that instead is working fine in latest version of MiSTer, when the author fixed the VDP TMS9918 5th sprite ("5th Sprite value should continually update with current value until it latches."). Not sure if this could be of any help to try to understand the problem. ?

9 hours ago, tmop69 said:

Works also normal in Classic99 emulator by the way, cause that was the way, i played it.