IGNORED

Collections

Michael David Morsette

Of course there is a way.... You'll see more very soon.

There is a lot more detail in EOTB when you play it on the new LCD. The people who made the graphics tried to build shades and atmosphere into the game.

The controls are a bit awkward but that is due to limited fire buttons on the Lynx.

There is a lot more detail in EOTB when you play it on the new LCD. The people who made the graphics tried to build shades and atmosphere into the game.

The controls are a bit awkward but that is due to limited fire buttons on the Lynx.

Karri! What's up?

Hey... How does it compare to playing on say a PSP LCD screen and the new LCD Mod?

• 4 weeks later...

I own the atari lynx with atleast 18 games with many games complete in box, like rampard, warbird,world soccor, turbo sub, bill & teds excellent adventure,steel talons talons,etc,,,, but also lose games like electrocop,pacman,calafornia games,blue lightning etc,,,these games and more shows off the incredible unknown capabilities of the atari lynx, it can almost reach sega genesis,turbo graphix & snes level quality graphics,gameplay snd sound,alphine games even has almost gba quality graphics & sound, the lynx just deserved a waaaayyyy longer lifespan then it actualy dit, it just died to quit, it should,ve last till 2001,not 1994,i think atari was better off to leave their jaguar and just contineu on their lynx!!!

• 6 months later...

I posted this over in the community section but wanted to share here too in case someone has some additional information they could share:

I always get excited when I find one of these prerelease /proto carts. There is such variation in the carts and chips themselves. Exploring the games looking for any little difference is a bit like an Easter egg hunt, with all the thrill that comes with finding one.

post-33058-0-53992200-1448377521_thumb.jpeg

Now this first one, Zarlor Mercenary, I am told came from a former employee of "Hal Labrotories"

Now I find this claim very interesting. As far as I have been able to research Hal Labrotories never worked on the Lynx, or anything Atari. But it was a Japanese company and the label is written in Japanese, so that part fits. There was Hal Labs founded by Greg Autry that had closer ties to Atari, I know they sold Pac-Man to Atari, but the Japanese labels won't make sense. If anyone else has insight or a little knowledge of history here, I would love to hear it.

Here are some more beauties.

post-33058-0-24553700-1448377684_thumb.jpeg

Here is Rygar and Chips Challenge.

post-33058-0-75551700-1448377769_thumb.jpeg

These are Klax and Xenophobe.

Now these I haven't been able to learn anything about yet. If you guys have insights please share!

Edited by MrBland
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Smeghead, good to hear from you! It has been a while :) I have done some cataloguing of differences in the protos vs official releases, but really want to go a little more in depth. The main thing I want to do is take some picture and video evidence of the differences. I have been so caught up in current events, it will be nice to escape into my gaming quiet place :) .

Blue Lightning Demo-

I have the gold label cart and a green PCB proto. Ive played them through a few times and they always go in the same sequence, like youre watching a recording . The two carts dont have the same sequence though.

Gold label sequence- Dogfight, Mission 3, Mission 5, etc.

Proto sequence- Dogfight, Mission 9, Mission 6, etc.

Xenophobe-No difference.

Rygar- No difference.

Pacland-

The first thing that jumped out at me was the massive Pinocchio like honker that was on Pac-Man in the proto, versus the tiny nub of a nose in the main release. It was a bit humorous when Pac-Man dies and is lying on his back with this big appendage sticking in the air. I also noticed that the timing of the baddies is a bit different. In the proto the timing of each set of baddies is later in the level than in the release.

Tennis- No difference

Super Asteroids and missile command-

I have three carts that I compared; the official release, a proto on a green PCB, and a reproduction label unreleased version. The proto was buggy when played on the Lynx two, frequently freezing and seemly skipping menus at times. On the Lynx I though the proto played fine. The demo was longer than on the release but all the game play seemed the same. The reproduction was also glitchy but it was just as bad on the Lynx I as on the Lynx II. It would sometimes freeze up and one glitch I noticed was that the flame that appears at the back of the ship when you engage the engine in asteroids would sometimes appear on the nose of the ship. The game play in asteroids was also a lot different. In the repro the ship would stays positioned near the middle of the screen while the background moved, giving the illusion of flying through space. There are yellow arrows that appear at the edges of the screen letting you know where the asteroids are and the ship itself is about twice the size of the released version. In the released version the background is static while the ship flies around and destroys the asteroids. There was no apparent difference in the missile command versions.

Road Riot-I have a reproduction cart and a proto cart. The proto cart is dated 1993 on the intro screen while the repro is dated 1994. It seemed that it was easier to crash in the 93 version but other than that they seemed the same.

Malibu Bikini Volleyball- I have the official release and a reproduction cart labeled Malibu Debug. The debug cart starts up to a debug screen. Arrow keys take you to a black screen but nothing else seems to do anything except the a/b buttons which take you to the game. The opening credits are different with the debug showing a graphic of the title instead of the swimsuit girl and then later the debug shows a girl in a bikini laying down below the title. Everything else seems the same.

Gauntlet- I have the official release and a reproduction labeled Gauntlet 2.0. The opening credits are different. Also the repro version doesnt seem to drop your stuff when you die like on the release version.

Basketbrawl- I have the official release and a proto. The proto is dated 1991 on the opening credits while the official release is dated 1992. The proto also has no intro music. Everything else seems the same.

Batman- No difference.

Fat Bobby- The proto is buggy but no noticeable difference.

Chips Challenge- No difference

Dirty Harry-No Difference

Klax- No Difference

Shadow of the Beast- No Difference.

Zarlor Mercenary- No Difference.

Well that's it for now. Now if I can just knock out some videos and pics ;)

Edited by MrBland

Thanks! Life has a way of changing a man's priorities, that's for sure. ujhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (Sorry, that was my cat stepping on the keyboard. :grin: )

Sounds like most are similar enough, but the subtle differences make it cool! Y'know, I have a prototype version of Super Asteroids/Missile Command that I bought from Eric many years ago. It appears to be the same version as was released, but it's cool to have a green PCB with, "This cart must be rtnd to Juli Wade Atari Corp" on it.

Cheers,

Smeg

• Like 2

Video 61 and EricDeLee both did versions with the complete fully playable game. Video 61's version was first and originally came with a floppy disc that had the manual, maps, and various extras on it. EricDeLee's version had nicer packaging and a physical manual.

As your looking around to buy one off eBay, Craigslist, etc. just be sure it has a save chip and you'll know it is the full playable version.

Edited by MrBland

• 2 years later...

My hard times is your opportunity!

Below are linked my first two auctions. All shown in the picture are what I am looking to sell. I hate using eBay, but to be honest I'm in a position I need to get the highest return possible. If you see something you like then stay tuned. I plan on selling these all off spacing them apart depending on how they sell.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292807878570

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292807869855post-33058-0-28517300-1541635671_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrBland

My hard times is your opportunity!

Below are linked my first two auctions. All shown in the picture are what I am looking to sell. I hate using eBay, but to be honest I'm in a position I need to get the highest return possible. If you see something you like then stay tuned. I plan on selling these all off spacing them apart depending on how they sell.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292807878570

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292807869855attachicon.gifimage.

You should add Atari Lynx to your title so they actualy show up on peoples searches.

No I didn't make copies. These are valuable to collectors (like myself) as one of a kinds. I personally prefer to keep them that way. But if the buyer wants to make copies, more power to him.

I was asked to list the names of the games for sale:

First auctions are for Yastuna 1&2

Coming up are:

Bubble Trouble

Switchblade II

Alpine games (original release)

Duranik (original release)

Rygar

Chip's Challenge

Blue Lightning Demo

Shadow of the beast

Rampage

Super Astroids and Missile command

Fat Bobby

JC Tennis

Dirty Larry

Atari Diagnostic

Batman

Xenophobe

For full disclosure the Xenophobe chip I played a few months ago but when I tested it yesterday I couldn't get it to run, the rest work fine.

Edited by MrBland

There have been some drastic changes recently, I will be selling my whole collection. I have bragged in the past that I have the most complete Lynx collection in the Americas, now is the chance to bolster your collection. All will be going up on the coming weeks on eBay. Offers are welcome, but I will be favoring eBay in hopes of a decent return.

Edited by MrBland