IGNORED

Aaron the Aardvark (WIP)

atari2600land

My test UFO there is 24 bit.

I had the program count the colors and there are 5 of them. If there was another not quite black color, wouldn't the color count be 6?

Not if it didn't count the background because it was set to trans/black. Colour reduction probably lost it in down sampling.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heck no, please continue! I'm liking playing it but it's the busiest time of year for me so I'm not able to play as often as I'd like.

I've missed testing many versions which I regret but have the latest going now and LOVE the improvements. The backgrounds

are stunning and the aardvark itself looks much better along with the UFOs. The sound effect for 'shooting' is funny but not annoying

after a few waves so props there, too.

post-2188-0-48218700-1542494522.jpg

Power up system. Drop some goodies from the sky or have them 'grow' from the ground for limited seconds. Or, send some ants or ant mounds out there for the aardvark to attack. Every 10 or 100 ants, an extra life. Have a different UFO go sideways across the screen a la space invaders, to take out for an early wave completion bonus. Say, at regular UFO #4 or 5. Have a DOOM style shotgun bounce around the screen and if collected, nukes everything on screen like the zapper in T2K. All of these are off the top of my head and only ideas but I'd dig seeing any or all of them in there. Just taking out the UFOs is ok but adding a few more objectives or collectibles would be awesome.

Could have an item appear that if collected, sends you to a bonus stage where Aaron is in a side scrolling platformer in the vain of super mario bros. Not all the block smashing but simple graphics and a high jumping bonus goal that could get you warped 20 waves ahead if successful or back to the next wave if you blow it.

Anyway, if that's not what you meant, please disregard the above and... make the life heart.... red :P

Power up system. Drop some goodies from the sky or have them 'grow' from the ground for limited seconds. Or, send some ants or ant mounds out there for the aardvark to attack. Every 10 or 100 ants, an extra life. Have a different UFO go sideways across the screen a la space invaders, to take out for an early wave completion bonus. Say, at regular UFO #4 or 5. Have a DOOM style shotgun bounce around the screen and if collected, nukes everything on screen like the zapper in T2K. Could have an item appear that if collected, sends you to a bonus stage where Aaron is in a side scrolling platformer in the vain of super mario bros. Not all the block smashing but simple graphics and a high jumping bonus goal that could get you warped 20 waves ahead if successful or back to the next wave if you blow it.

All of these are off the top of my head and only ideas but I'd dig seeing any or all of them in there. Just taking out the UFOs is ok but adding a few more objectives or collectibles would be awesome.

Anyway, if that's not what you meant, please disregard the above and... could make the life heart.... red :P

• Like 1

Began work on adding ants to the game. There's an anthill and ants in the game right now but they don't do anything yet. I plan to have pressing A make Aaron lash out a tongue and eat the ants for points. As usual the latest ROM is in my signature. And I made sure it works this time.

• Like 2

Liking this! Ate 25 ants to get the free life and dig the music that plays after.

I'm just seeing the sideways moving UFO on stage 5. Took my eyes off the falling bombs to

look at it and got killed but about to un pause for more.

That was quick work implementing all of this. Eating the ants while dodging and shooting has upped the replay value ten fold already :)

post-2188-0-37684500-1542687277.jpg

Made it to Wave 14. There's a lot of UFOs on screen! Got to the last one and it was moving slowly from side to side so I was sucking up ants to hit the magic #, got it and died almost immediately lol.

post-2188-0-33547200-1542688323.jpg

Great stuff. Would be cool if Aaron could eat an ant carrying like, a taco, get the squirts and open up some rapid fire multi directional shots to the sky :lolblue: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words and comments.

I centered the bomb and changed the 25 ants fanfare. I thought it sounded too much like the level clearing one in Game Boy Tetris. I deleted some needless code.

Does anyone know how much space the "AtariAge" intro takes up for a Jaguar game? I want AtariAge to publish this, so if the chance Al decides to, how much space do I need to leave open for it.

• Like 1