IGNORED

Brand New Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers- For Sale!

Starwander

I've reunited with my Jaguar for a few hours tonight and tried out the controllers with a bunch of games. I've never used a pro controller before so my only frame of reference is my standard 3 button controller, purchased as "new" from eBay a number of months ago.

The overall look and feel of the new controllers is great, very Jaguar-y and authentic feeling. Unfortunately that also means the d-pad is very shallow and stiff, like the standard controller. This isn't a fault of this new pro controller, though I wouldn't have minded losing some authenticity to slightly improve this aspect. On the plus side, the plastic and shape of the d-pad feels much nicer than the standard controller. Also, after the end of my play session the d-pad seemed to have loosened up a tiny bit so it's possible the feel of the d-pad will improve a little more over time.

One thing that is hugely improved compared to the standard controller: the main A/B/C buttons are rounded and have a nice soft click to them. This is a lot better than the mushy feel of the standard controller buttons. For me this is reason enough to put the standard controller away and never use it again.

I was caught off guard by how clicky the shoulder buttons are. It would be great if someone could make some rom hacks (in particular for Alien vs Predator) to make use of them.

I ran into a couple of small technical issues with one of the controllers: the bottom row of pins on the plug were ever so slightly offset/bent, preventing me from being able to insert the controller into the port. I carefully bent them a little with a large flat head screwdriver and it now inserts perfectly. Also the '0' button on the numeric keypad sticks a little bit. The other controller is perfect, no issues with the pins or numeric keypad.

Overall I'm really pleased. Major major props to Starwander for making this happen.

• Like 3

Dug my Jaguar and games out of boxes for the first time since I moved to my current house 7 years ago.

Thank you for these new controllers, as they are great. I am about to order 2 more!

BSG loves these new ProControllers. :)

Note: One of mine arrived with the 0 key pushed-in. It only took some light massaging to get it un-snagged and pop back up from below. The number keys are a little more recessed than the originals, but still work great. With the overlays on, there shouldn't be any deep pushes which could rarely result in getting "stuck".

Dug my Jaguar and games out of boxes for the first time since I moved to my current house 7 years ago.

Thank you for these new controllers, as they are great. I am about to order 2 more!

BSG loves these new ProControllers. icon_smile.gif

Note: One of mine arrived with the 0 key pushed-in. It only took some light massaging to get it un-snagged and pop back up from below. The number keys are a little more recessed than the originals, but still work great. With the overlays on, there shouldn't be any deep pushes which could rarely result in getting "stuck".

If I recall, my original Jaguar (maybe the Pro, memory is fuzzy) has had the problem with the keypad keys getting stuck. And yeah they're easy enough to get unstuck anyhow. Though I now wonder if that's why my original jaguar has one keypad that has a bit of rubber cut out of it... not sure how that go there, but sounds about right....

Just so you know, when I ordered 40 NEW(original) jag controllers to make rotaries, I ran into the same problem with 10 percent needing minor adjustment.

I currently use an extension all the time and leave it plugged in. Makes changing controllers easier.

Edited by Machine
  • Like 4

True story, I was one of the very few individuals who managed to order just one controller (not one pair, just one controller).

Starwander, who is a hell of a gentleman, simply sent the pair anyway at the half price, but rather than leech on this project and get myself a very cheap pair of Jag Pro Controllers I "send money to friend" the other 60US$, what's fair is far.

The man poured his heart on this project and even if I only wanted one controller I think I owe it to him to fully support his efforts, he should not be the one to "foot the bill".

So yeah, I managed to order one, I got two where one was a freebie, Starwander did not solicit me to pay for the other one but I knew what the right thing to do was ..... so now I can enjoy two Jag Pro Controllers and not feel guilty about it, lol. I really hope Starwander gets to sell, and gets paid for, for the whatever quantity he needs to at least break even, but I truly hope he is gonna make some profit from all this.

If I may I wonder how hard would it be to get an adapter for these bad boys to work on CV and/or 5200? .... I think the controller has enough buttons for both setup ... the INTV2 is just a little out of reach due to the 16 directions pad (the 2 shoulder buttons could be used as natural "little mo' left" and "little mo' right" when the diagonals are pressed but it would still miss a natural "little mo' up" and "little mo' down").

• Like 4

If I may I wonder how hard would it be to get an adapter for these bad boys to work on CV and/or 5200? .... I think the controller has enough buttons for both setup ... the INTV2 is just a little out of reach due to the 16 directions pad (the 2 shoulder buttons could be used as natural "little mo' left" and "little mo' right" when the diagonals are pressed but it would still miss a natural "little mo' up" and "little mo' down").

On second thought L and R shoulder buttons is all that one needs for INTV2 16 directions "simulation"

When the diagonal pressed involves L, then shoulder L makes it more L (so instead of 45 degrees U or D it becomes 22.5 U or D) while shoulder R makes it more U or D depending on which one is part of the diagonal pressed (so it is 67.5 U or D), similarly on the other side, if an R based diagonal is detected, the R shoulder makes it more R (only 22.5 U or D instead of 45) while the L shoulder makes it more U or D (67.5) depending on which diagonal that is.

It's a little laborious but it seems "natural" that when pressing a diagonal one can "steer" more/less depending on the L and R shoulder buttons (like Atari Karts does, lol).

NOTE: obviously nothing I just said is relevant for pure Jag Pro Controller bliss, is just that "telephone pad" controllers do not get produced anew that often so if they could be reused somehow on a plethora of systems all the better, considering the Jag Pro Controller is way more ergonomic than anything than Coleco or Mattel ever dreamt of ...

True story, I was one of the very few individuals who managed to order just one controller (not one pair, just one controller).

Starwander, who is a hell of a gentleman, simply sent the pair anyway at the half price, but rather than leech on this project and get myself a very cheap pair of Jag Pro Controllers I "send money to friend" the other 60US$, what's fair is far.

The man poured his heart on this project and even if I only wanted one controller I think I owe it to him to fully support his efforts, he should not be the one to "foot the bill".

So yeah, I managed to order one, I got two where one was a freebie, Starwander did not solicit me to pay for the other one but I knew what the right thing to do was ..... so now I can enjoy two Jag Pro Controllers and not feel guilty about it, lol. I really hope Starwander gets to sell, and gets paid for, for the whatever quantity he needs to at least break even, but I truly hope he is gonna make some profit from all this.

I did the same thing, he sent two out regardless since it was easier to box them all up that way. Still sent the $60 on over to him for the second one. He even said I shouldn't feel like I needed to, but I did.

On the other hand, yeah it'd be great to use these on the 5200. I should have one soon hopefully to accommodate my Adventure II.

• Like 4

Finally got my Jag out to test the new controllers with my original Pro. Very similar between the 2. Fire buttons seem identical to me. Shoulder buttons I like the click on the new one. The original Pro had a slight click, but the new one feels a bit more responsive.

The grey keypad buttons are more spongy than the original. I didnt notice any real difference in using them, but the original are a bit more firm to the touch (though they are soft buttons).

The D-pads were pretty similar. I like the new D-pad a bit better. Feels a bit more responsive - hard to put into words.

Both my connectors worked fine first try - no bent pins.

Great job!

• Like 2