IGNORED

Lookie Here

Opry99er

Cool, an original copy! I've not seen one of those in decades.

Say, when you get a chance, please look at the "DOS" program with a sector editor. In the first sector there should be a four digit number. What is it? It's just my suspicion, but back in the day I think the author was planning on using those numbers to track software piracy. I found you could change them and the program still ran fine.

Mmmmm...... tasty...... :D

attachicon.gif1DC67110-F136-44AC-9FBD-0272BD473E7B.jpeg

I have 2 original copies, and both diskettes; Command DOS & Program Disk. They're numbered 118 & 181. I also have original Pilot Diskettes 1 & 2 (2 sided flippy) and Manual. They were released by DataBioTics Inc. in 1986. Somebody asked about this a few weeks back. I've just been very busy with hardware issues and software adjustments for a newbie, in addition to every day life at 77.

Bill

• Like 1

I believe this actually IS 4ADOS, or at least it BECAME 4ADOS. The manual I have describes itself as 'preliminary docs, more thorough manual coming later'. It also mentions that the cartridge title select screen will display "4ADOS" when this is installed on a SUPERCART or a GRAMKRACKER.

They are one and the same, as Owen noted. This is just a nice copy of the original package, and those things are definitely worth celebrating when they are found. I had the same level of joy when I found an original Exceltek Killer Caterpillar cartridge to go with my Exceltek Arcturus cartridge. Of course, neither one came with the original packaging or manuals, but they are still epic finds. Finding such a pristine copy of Command DOS is a really good thing too. :) :)

• Like 4

Command DOS, also known as 4A/DOS is what I use on my TI for 99% of non gaming applications. Originally back in the day it was designed for use with the 8K SuperCart, but now days there is a FlashROM version which still requires the CHARA1 file, but where it really shines is on an UberGROM cartridge. On the UberGROM (with a little help from Tursi) you stay within the DOS environment and you'll no longer need the CHARA1 file on your diskettes and it bypasses the menu and selection screen and pops you into the DOS environment as soon as you turn on the computer which saves a lot of time and repetition.

If you look to the left, my current avatar is actually a screen shot of 4A/DOS in 80 column mode on my TI using the F18A.

gallery_35324_1027_29469.jpg

The attached file below contains the label you see on the cartridge above, the instruction manual in PDF for that was redone by yours truly, a cover for the manual if you care to use it and the requisite files (courtesy of Tursi) to burn onto a 1284P and a 49F040 to make your own auto-starting 4A/DOS cartridge.

The YouTube video below is a short video I made a while back to give you an example of how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRsyOnv_mII

I also recommend going to my << BLOG ENTRY >> to obtain Fred Kaals new editor program that goes with 4A/DOS like milk goes with cookies.

I've always loved 4A/DOS, but now with TIPI this updated 4A/DOS is just too bloody awesome to pass up.

BTW - If you don't have the equipment to make your own, you can get one from ArcadeShopper by simply clicking

<< HERE >>.

UberGROM Disk Operating System.zip