IGNORED

INTV GOTY 2018 results

That is a good a question.

Slap shot carts themselves are unmodified. Slap Shot just got new window dressing.

Lock N Chase was different code and a new PCB board.

Which brings up the question of Mouse Trap, was it part of the GOTY?

I have to say window dressing does not count as a release. It will not be included on My Non-Variant List, unfortunately this means I am taking Mouse Trap off for the same reasons.

• Like 1

Slap shot carts themselves are unmodified. Slap Shot just got new window dressing.

I have to say window dressing does not count as a release.

If Slap Shot is included for just window dressing, Then why not include empty boxes of unreleased games ...

The video game crash of 1983 (known as the Atari shock in Japan) was a large-scale recession in the video game industry that occurred from 1983 to 1985, primarily in North America. The crash was attributed to several factors, including market saturation in the number of game consoles and "available games",

Not saying there is a crash coming but just because lots of new games are being released doesn't mean that a crash is not happing . That in itself can contribute to a crash ,like it contributed in 1983..

More games being released is a good thing for the consumer . They question is are there enough consumers to support what ever number of games are being released...

Once again I am not saying that there is a crash happing.. Just throwing some points out...

Slam it together and it's CIB. Or do you think I have the boxes only?

lol all good , yes when you put both releases they Become CIB , but the game was released in a Baggie and the question was were these released in CIB...

Edited by m-crew

These [upMonsters & Pumpkin Master] aren't the first to be done this way. Remember Intelligentvision's last few games? Buy a pcb only, then the manual and overlays, and lastly the box.

Doing releases this way can complicate things if we insist on CIB as a requirement for GOTY. Imagine a 2018 cart only release that gets an unplanned box/manual/overlays kit in 2019. It would have missed out on 2018 GOTY, but wouldn't really be a 2019 release either.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

They were meant to be CIB from the beginning. It was a joint operation.

That may be the case but there is potential for people just to buy the baggie release only and not the box so meant is meant to be but did not get released as a CIB.

Two payments to two different producers does not make it a full CIB release.

A full CIB is when purchased for a single price Complete In Box from a single producer with no potential of not having empty boxes or just a baggie with the game release.

Its a Baggie Release no matter how its tried to justify it as a CIB release.

These [upMonsters & Pumpkin Master] aren't the first to be done this way. Remember Intelligentvision's last few games? Buy a pcb only, then the manual and overlays, and lastly the box.

Doing releases this way can complicate things if we insist on CIB as a requirement for GOTY. Imagine a 2018 cart only release that gets an unplanned box/manual/overlays kit in 2019. It would have missed out on 2018 GOTY, but wouldn't really be a 2019 release either.

No one insisted that GOTY be a CIB only ?

How did that come across ?

But those points your listed all justify that all those releases were not CIB realesses.

Edited by m-crew

Lock N Chase was different code and a new PCB board.

Which brings up the question of Mouse Trap, was it part of the GOTY?

I have to say window dressing does not count as a release. It will not be included on My Non-Variant List, unfortunately this means I am taking Mouse Trap off for the same reasons.

That sounds good. Edited by Rev

I fail to see how having a box or not makes any difference when determining the game of the year. Did someone release a game in 2018? Was it amazing? Then who cares if it came CIB or got an upgrade kit later or even if it was just a rom? A great game is a great game.

If folks want to use CIB/baggie/rom only as categories, that's fine, but otherwise it shouldn't matter.

Boxes are for collectors, games are for players. I may be both but I still believe these polls are not for collecting awards. This should be about programming and playing great games only.

• Like 4

I fail to see how having a box or not makes any difference when determining the game of the year. Did someone release a game in 2018? Was it amazing? Then who cares if it came CIB or got an upgrade kit later or even if it was just a rom? A great game is a great game.

If folks want to use CIB/baggie/rom only as categories, that's fine, but otherwise it shouldn't matter.

Boxes are for collectors, games are for players. I may be both but I still believe these polls are not for collecting awards. This should be about programming and playing great games only.

Exactly ... I was just about to post this...

GOTY in my opinion should include all physical releases of new games- as long as they have been released in Cart form CIB/baggie /board/. What happens after to them doesn't really matter... CIBs being split apart/baggies getting boxes / boards getting shells and boxes.. Its imo the physical release of a new programmed game Rom ...

I thought this had all been discussed in previous GOTY threads. Allowing cart only or ROM only can add a bunch of games, just from the programming contest alone. I'm not saying this is a bad thing or that they shouldn't be included, but it raised the question of what standards we wanted to use for GOTY. Some suggested it should be reserved for well polished CIB releases. Others suggested having a separate category for ROM only. Others suggested allowing everything and just let the votes decide.

Edit: We have historically allowed cart only games. I was remembering incorrectly.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

I thought this had all been discussed in previous GOTY threads. Allowing cart only or ROM only can add a bunch of games, just from the programming contest alone. I'm not saying this is a bad thing or that they shouldn't be included, but it raised the question of what standards we wanted to use for GOTY. Some suggested it should be reserved for well polished CIB releases. Others suggested having a separate category for ROM only. Others suggested allowing everything and just let the votes decide.

If I remember as long as it was a physical release they would be included in the GOTY....

I'm all for creating categories that all of these fit into, but ultimately this is about games and playing them.

The lone exception I see would be the programming contest games since they already have a contest and winner. Seems like that would already cover those if they were GOTY contenders. Otherwise...

CIB GOTY

ROM GOTY

CART GOTY

Programming Contest Winner (Program GOTY)

...seem like the natural categories. Not sure what wouldn't fit neatly into those 4 topics. We could even vote between the winners of all 4 and create a Overall GOTY as well.

I always thought GOTY meant all games. Doesnt matter what form as long as it was physical in some form. I personally dont like separating out CIB, ROM, baggie, cart, shoebox. Etc etc.

One vote for GOTY in one poll. Its almost too easy.

The above statements are my opinions.

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1

I always thought GOTY meant all games. Doesn’t matter what form as long as it was physical in some form. I personally don’t like separating out COB, TOM, baggie, cart, shoebox. Etc etc.

One vote for GOTY in one poll. It’s almost too easy.

The above atemwmts are my opinions.

My thoughts as well and are my atemwmts as well....

Edited by m-crew