IGNORED

Time to let go

curtis

Due to failing health, I am considering getting rid of my CC-40 equipment.

What I have is the "tiger stripe" 40 prototype, a 40+, a couple of hexbus floppy drives, and a semi-working wafertape but no tapes. Along with the other typi8cal items such as the RS-232, modem, printer/plotter with dried out pens, and a Printer 80. There are several more common items such as cartridges, etc.

I was considering posting them on ebay and seeing what I could get for them, but I'm also considering donating them to a respectable museum. I have considered either the CHM in the Silicon Valley or MITA in Arlington, Texas.

Opinions?

And no, I won't believe anyone who says they're not worth anything and should just give them away to whoever says that.

Curtis McCain

Curtis, mainly... i am very sorry for your health problems :(

i do not know CHM museum so i really can't say nothing about it.
It is your decision of course.

ebay can give possibility to obtain these stuff for collectors and for you, monetize a bit if you need money.
for example i am looking for a CC40+ since years bynow :P

CHM museum is anyway historical preservation and this is really important also.

HexBus floppies and Wafertape drives are always popular (I still need a working Wafertape and a second HexBus floppy for my 99/8--and for my various CC-40/CC-40+ machines). The Tiger Stripe is definitely interesting to all CC-40 peoples, as is the 40+.

As to museums, some are good--others lose their funding and trash their collections. I got the skeleton of a TI-99/4 (Dimension 4) prototype out of the aftermath of one of those dissolution actions. The person who bought it from the museum as part of a massive lot of stuff sold for scrap removed the case and the keyboard as useless (and threw them away) and then sold the rest as electronics scrap on eBay. . .it was a good thing that I recognized what it was (as did Ciro) and bought it on a whim.

• Like 1

Well, as someone trying to emulate the cc-40 devices, I've been looking for units to attempt the finish the emulation for my HEX-TI-r project listed elsewhere on the forum. That said, you have quite a few prized possessions, so I suspect you can make quite a bit by selling to someone.

• Like 1

Curtis - if you do sell them, please consider giving first dibs to Ksarul or Brain... Ksarul has what was my former CC-40 collection (which I had a +, Printer 80, Plotter, QuickDisk, prototype DSDD drive, TI-99/4A Hexbus interface, etc), as Ksarul actively tries to preserve the board diagrams, the ROM code, etc. I figured he would be the best option at the time to let the collection go to at the time, because he truly is trying to preserve this stuff. I just have to prod him to dump the 40+ ROM, which has 4K of processor ROM with the cassette routines in it (versus the CC-40 which has 2K).

Brain is starting work on a few of our orphaned peripherals like the CC-40, and he might also be worth lending some equipment to before you sell it off.

• Like 2

Hello Curtis!

Sorry to hear about your health status! I hope for you it is just a phase and will get better again.

Count me interested in aquiring the Wafertape Drive. I have none of these yet.

My Hex-Bus Floppy is currently only working through an external drive. So I am interested in buying one of those.

It would make the setup for my CC-40, CC-40+, 99/8, 99/2 more complete.

Sending you a P.M.

BR Klaus

Oh... Curtis, I am sad that your health is failing. But your health could be back again in better shape (I sincerely hope) so are you sure to want to get rid your CC40 material?

That said, if your decision was made, I am very interested to buy your CC40+, a HX5102 and the Wafertape prototypes. Please, tell me your price. You can be sure that it will be in good hands,

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 2

Due to failing health, I am considering getting rid of my CC-40 equipment.

My sympathies, it is always sad to hear about a situation like this.

I was considering posting them on ebay and seeing what I could get for them, but I'm also considering donating them to a respectable museum. I have considered either the CHM in the Silicon Valley or MITA in Arlington, Texas.

Opinions?

I too have considered donating hardware to museums in the past, but personally I have decided against it. The problem with donating to an institution, IMO, is that your hardware will probably never be displayed (for example in some place like the CHM), and it will certainly never be run, used, or enjoyed again. I have been to the CHM several times in the last few years, and I'm always a little disappointed in the 80's home computer section. IIRC, they don't even have a 99/4A on display. If you donate to a place like the CHM, it is almost certain your computer will be put in a box in storage and never be seen again.

There are several people here in the forum who would give you a fair price for you equipment, and you will know it has gone to a home where it will be taken care of and appreciated.

And no, I won't believe anyone who says they're not worth anything and should just give them away to whoever says that.

Curtis McCain

I don't think you will find anyone here who would tell you your system is not worth anything. :-)

• Like 5

My sympathies, it is always sad to hear about a situation like this.

I too have considered donating hardware to museums in the past, but personally I have decided against it. The problem with donating to an institution, IMO, is that your hardware will probably never be displayed (for example in some place like the CHM), and it will certainly never be run, used, or enjoyed again. I have been to the CHM several times in the last few years, and I'm always a little disappointed in the 80's home computer section. IIRC, they don't even have a 99/4A on display. If you donate to a place like the CHM, it is almost certain your computer will be put in a box in storage and never be seen again.

For more than 15 years, we have operated Midwest Gaming Classic on the model of "get everything out of storage for one big event where everything is hands-on."

Nominally, our storage bins say "Electronic Gaming Museum" but any plans to make that a permanent physical building were long ago abandoned.

Instead, we get up to 17,000 people in one festival (the weather took its toll last year) and the wonderful families where multiple generations get to share playing games their folks remember.

"Hey! You have my dad's favorite game on disk! Can I take it to him so he will come over?"

People trying to draw with Super Sketch.

One time repeat visitor: "Can you give me another TI BASIC lesson?"

Hardcore gamers attempting TI Invaders.

Academic wondering at the TMS9918 minor dazzlements: "They thought of layering sprite planes and graphics back then?".

Twice, original designers of TMS9980 and 32C020 microprocessors.

Habitually, TE2 speech jokers making the computer say juvenile things.

Scott Adams opining on TI's business decisions (he had ignored all things 4A until our show)

New combinations.. CF7+ on a 99/4, all the newest gadgets on 4A

Impromptu Munch Man world championship (somebody walked up, got to level 20, attracted crowds)

These are some reasons why I do this.

• Like 4

Okay, y'all convinced me to sell most, if not all, of my collection here.

Let me make an inventory and then we'll turn it into a free-for-all, bidding war!

Also, I am planning on hanging onto a regular 18K 40 and maybe a RS-232 interface so I can have something to play with.

I will post the list in a couple of days. Right now, I'm getting ready to root for my Dallas Cowboys!

• Like 3

Okay, I think I've dug out all my CC-40 stuff. It's amazing the places you can hide stuff from yourself when you try!

Anyway, I will be testing all of it out and (hopefully) post a list by the end of the week.

And then, let the games begin!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...