IGNORED

Ski-It - entry for the abbuc Software Contest 2018

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments everyone . v1.2 is very nearly ready - the more I've tweaked the more I've found to improve, pus there were more niggles to fix: today I've found that wiggling to extend the jump distances actually lowered the jump distance scored!

Has anyone tried the load/save of the world records any other storgae devices?

• Like 1

As soon as I get a score good enough to appear on the world records, I will be able to test it on my SIO2SD. However, I do not expect to find a problem

I am eagerly looking forward to 1.2.

Bob C

Press Option to view the records screen you can then press select/option to load/save - please try with R/W and if possible R/O/disconnected to see if it copes with this too (the 4 numbers that appear on the bottom right are status codes and might help me figure out what's what).

Lots of improvements, just having one last attempt to expand the dlist on PAL systems, though I'm sure I checked this on Ramp Rage... maybe tomorrow!

I tried loading and saving the scores on my SIO2SD device. As I expected, when the ATR was in R/W mode, I did not see any errors. I received a code of 1111 when saving and 1311 when loading the scores. I think I may have received the "1311" code after having previously loaded the high scores.

When the ATR was in read-only mode, I did receive a different error. It may have been 1811. It is hard to read the score font on my LCD using composite video. I thought I heard a sound as well.

When I "ejected" Ski-It from D1:, I received a sound and a different error code that was unreadable with my composite video. At no time did I receive a message that the disk was missing or that it was set to read-only. However, Ski-It did not crash either.

Since none of the scores were changed, I could not tell if the disk write was successful. I could only guess this from the codes in the lower right-hand side of the screen.

I really hope to see 1.2 soon.

Bob C

Edited by darwinmac
  • Like 1

Thanks Bob :thumbsup: the main thing I'm looking for is it not to crash the game, so that's good. I'll hang off from making it autoload the scores for now until I hear from a few others.

I'm assembling again right now possibly the final copy, I'm so tight for RAM that any small change is a pain and a few bug corrections cause headaches as I have to move things around :-o

SKI-IT v 1.2 is here!

post-19705-0-10874400-1546805386.png

Here is the final(ish) version of SKI-IT :party:

I've refined the course to take out some of the nasty bits, though there are still plenty of things for you to avoid. It might crash you when it shouldn't sometimes, make a note or take screenshot of any bits that need fixing. I'd like to say I've played all the Ski-Quest challenges and they are all possible... :P

Slalom plays great and everyone should be able to do this one. Downhill is still challenging, you have only to get to the end afterall. Ski-Quest offers some long term play.

I'v adjusted for NTSC and PAL but my games run code outside the VB so gameplay is not the same on both systems, particularly the Downhill flies along on NTSC like a proper arcade game, so emulator users may wish to try out both.

The nice ABBUC review (issue #135) mentions your skier flickering, that is intentional when you cross a gate or get an extra credit, also the sounds breaking up in play, I've left that as it is as I like it! I've added another row to the PAL screen. The Slalom gates now both face the same way indicating the direction of the next one, Ski-Quest keeps the original flags.

Still not room for NRV's title screen but I squeezed in a low memory one at least.

NOTE: Players now have 10 lives and the penalty for crashing in Ski-Quest mode is only 5 seconds. Pressing 1-3 on the title screen will adjust the ski edges; 2 is the default, 1=less resistance, 3=more resistance. This affects your skier slighlty and may or may not be an advantage. In Ski-Quest after the results you can press Option and move the stick to jump to level 9. See the first post for the original instructions and more details ;)

SKI-IT v1.2.ATR

I've renamed skiit.exe/xex to autorun.sys so the disk will boot directly; the file will run standalone too.

The new season of the High Score Club starts mid January so please join in :waving:

Have fun - feedback welcomed :D

p.s. v1.2 map disk for anyone wanting to change/view the course (see 1st post) this is not part of the game / needed to play - send me any updates and I'll send you your own version of the game ;)

SKI-D5-Envision Maps and Fonts.ATR

• Like 11

I was able to save my high score (I finally got into the top 10 - barely!). The high score successfully saved to the ATR on my SIO2SD device.

One suggestion: if you do not want to risk auto loading the scores, could you add a message to the first screen to press Option in order to get to the High Score screen? I did not remember where I had to press Option in order to load the High Scores. I ended up pressing fire and starting the game without loading the High Scores. I could have kept that score (slightly better: about 6 min), but I wanted to confirm that the score I had saved yesterday was actually saved.

At some point, I hope you release a new version that auto loads the high scores. That would be simpler when I come back to this game after awhile and forget to load the high scores first.

Bob C

• Like 1