IGNORED

Aaron the Aardvark (WIP)

atari2600land

• 4 weeks later...

I am back working on this again. I added some ingame music. Not too much because it gave me a message:

File size=1934279 bytes

...which is waaay too big for .abs - aborting

But I think what I do have is good, let me know if there's any bugs about music. You can turn it off/on with the 0 button, but it won't save whether the music is off or on when you turn the game off. Link is in my signature.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been playing the latest version and digging the music. It's mellow and soothing lol.

Have heard the tunes during the stage intro, game play and death sequence. Awesome stuff!

0 doesn't work to enable/disable while paused, if it was even part of the plan, but that's all I've noticed so far.

Changes made:
+ Added the ability to change the music while game paused.

+ Made it so in order to eat an ant, it has to not be touching the anthill. I noticed that you could just walk up to the anthill and keep tapping A while the ants were respawning and add up your ant total and score up rather quickly.

+ I think I made it so the tongue doesn't display when the game is going to a new level. Let me know if it doesn't.

Link is still in my signature.

• Like 1

This game looks awesome! Wish I had more time to test it out.

Was wondering if there was any logic to the level progression. Like Aaron starts in some desert, then whisks away to a different local, then off to the moon or something, then off to Mars, etc... so the aardvark can fling poop at aliens across the solar system / galaxy. :P

This game looks awesome! Wish I had more time to test it out.

Was wondering if there was any logic to the level progression. Like Aaron starts in some desert, then whisks away to a different local, then off to the moon or something, then off to Mars, etc... so the aardvark can fling poop at aliens across the solar system / galaxy. :P

Thanks for the compliment! Right now, the levels are chosen at random between four different screens.

OK. I didn't need help on the 256-color problem, I decided not to go that route. But what I am wondering is how I'm using this picture and why it's displaying it as though there's only 256 colors (notice the sky). I set it as no_clut, and set it at 24 bits in the rapinit.s file and put *2 in front of everything (putting *4 made the x size in half, but that's a different problem.)

EDIT: I can't use .bmps on this forum? Whaaa?

problem.zip

Edited by atari2600land

OK, so why does the sky look graded then? It's supposed to look like the bmp image.

Judging by the size, I'm guessing it got seriously compressed somehow. I know when exporting with GIMP you have to be careful because by default it sets compression to maximum level of 9 but I always set it to 0.

In order to make them 8 bits, I have to change the # of colors to 192 so the Aaron clut doesn't get all messed up. I don't think it looks all that horrendous now that I think about it. I also have to do this if I want to put more backgrounds in. What say you? ROM to try is in signature, I updated its site today.

post-9475-0-86312600-1549048538.png

In order to make them 8 bits, I have to change the # of colors to 192 so the Aaron clut doesn't get all messed up. I don't think it looks all that horrendous now that I think about it. I also have to do this if I want to put more backgrounds in. What say you? ROM to try is in signature, I updated its site today.

attachicon.gifaaroningame20190201.png

Refresh, I got a 404 File Not Found error.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those of you who were opining about how this game doesn't have any tacos in it, I just put a taco in the game. It's a bonus worth 50 points. See if you can trigger one at the end of a stage.

post-9475-0-10351800-1552165947.png

One time, I had a build that didn't have a random x value for the UFO, so I checked my code (there was nothing wrong with it) and rebuilt the game and it seems to work fine now. How odd. If you run across that problem, let me know.