IGNORED

How wide is your TI-99/4A setup?

cbmeeks

The TI-99/4A is famous (infamous?) for it's expandability. We've all seen the pictures of the poor TI with a half-dozen devices out to the side. This is both hilarious and awesome at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI-99/4A#/media/File:Ti994_long.jpg

So my question is, are any of you running a massively wide setup like this? Or, did you in the past?

• Like 1

TI made five different sidecars: RS-232, Disk Controller (for SSSD disks), 32K, p-Code, and Video Controller. I have all five. Probably the hardest to find is the p-Code box, as most of those were sold to schools and got trashed when they got rid of their TI equipment. I only know of a few survivors, including mine. The Video Controller is also quite HTF, but it is a little bit easier, as there are 10-15 of them floating about in the community.

• Like 1

It seems odd nobody at TI pointed out the Circus Train being built before it left the station. The successor PEB and Firehose made a huge and unwieldy combo itself.

Then again, compared to the TI-990 system, maybe they thought they were "thinking small." :)

But I guess you could take the skyscraper approach some of the ZX81/Timex expansions chose. Or just keep sticking additions off the Back Porch. :lol: Some companies just sold boards and let the user figure out what to do with 'em. Don't forget the "real" keyboard upgrades

-Ed

post-38786-0-42623200-1549332816_thumb.jpg

post-38786-0-52935900-1549332832.jpg

post-38786-0-36974300-1549332851.jpg

post-38786-0-65527400-1549333940.jpg

• Like 5

"I'm going to change the floppy, if I'm not back in 20 mins, send help."

LOL!!! That wasn't just an internet saying...I actually did laugh out loud!

It seems odd nobody at TI pointed out the Circus Train being built before it left the station. The successor PEB and Firehose made a huge and unwieldy combo itself.

Then again, compared to the TI-990 system, maybe they thought they were "thinking small." :)

But I guess you could take the skyscraper approach some of the ZX81/Timex expansions chose. Or just keep sticking additions off the Back Porch. :lol: Some companies just sold boards and let the user figure out what to do with 'em. Don't forget the "real" keyboard upgrades

-Ed

That Leaning Tower of RAM is awesome. It clearly falls into that saying of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Hahaha

• Like 1

The TI-99/4A is famous (infamous?) for it's expandability. We've all seen the pictures of the poor TI with a half-dozen devices out to the side. This is both hilarious and awesome at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI-99/4A#/media/File:Ti994_long.jpg

So my question is, are any of you running a massively wide setup like this? Or, did you in the past?

I run the sidecars myself. The 32k+Disk controller+disk drive combine to form a much smaller footprint and much lighter setup. The RS-232 can be added if necessary which is almost never for me. I prefer sidecars to my PEB.

The disk drive can sit atop the disk controller btw.

This image you included has the thermal printer and modem which few of us have.

So the sidecars aren’t as hilarious as one would think. They’re portable too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I have the monitor behind the console, and the two PEB units stacked on top of each other to the right of the monitor. The fire hose I make a 90° turn on, just to the right of the computer, and route it under the PEB.

The two boxes are one standard TI PEB at the bottom, and then one more I designed myself on top of that. The top one holds the disk drives that doesn't fit in the TI PEB and some other stuff.

• Like 1