IGNORED

2018 Atari Awards Voting Information & Discussion

2018 Atari Awards

Celebrating the best in Atari 2600 Homebrew

presented by

ZeroPage Homebrew, The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion and AtariAge

Welcome to the 2018 Atari Awards, where YOU get to vote on your favourite homebrew games, hacks and demos of 2018! The results of the 2018 edition of the Atari Awards, will be announced LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew's Twitch channel on February 23rd, 2019 at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT during a special broadcast. We will be announcing the winners and runners up on the broadcast in each of the categories along with LIVE acceptance speeches from the winners, plus much more!!

Voting Begins: January 23, 2019 @ NOW!

Voting Ends: February 18, 2019 @ 23:59:59 PT

Awards Show: February 23, 2019 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT

2018 Atari Awards Categories:

To vote, please click on each of the links in the 2018 Atari Awards forum and vote for your favourite in each of the categories. Be sure to play through and evaluate each game nominated to make an informed decision! In the below link we've provided you with all the public posted binaries for each of the nominated games. Have fun! :-)

Download (Binaries/Instructions/Packaging): https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AG3wc7MKI7gPQis&id=EBF48A1964E7EEB5%21528&cid=EBF48A1964E7EEB5

post-37205-0-31643800-1548704084_thumb.jpg

Terminology/Definitions Used for the 2018 Atari Awards:

• Game: Interactive software that can be run on an Atari VCS, Atari VCS compatible hardware or Atari VCS emulator.

• Year: January 1, 2018 00:00:00 PT to December 31, 2018 23:59:59 PT

• Completed: Released in a physical format or released digitally and declared finished.

• WIP (work in progress): A game that has not been released on cartridge and also has not been declared finished.

• Hack: Game made using another game's code and has altered that game's graphics, sound or code.

• Demo: Software that is non-interactive and usually created to demonstrate the sound and video abilities of the hardware.

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 8

Neat! I don't generally mess with Twitch, let alone live events, but this sounds like it's worth checking out.

Fellow old people: note that if you have Amazon Prime, you also have Twitch Prime, and it's worth signing in once in a while for free games and stuff -- you can even give some patron points to streamers you like, such as Zeropagehomebrew.

• Like 5

The idea is great, but it would be cool (much cooler) if the same awards would be held for other Atari gear (e.g. 5200, 7800, A8, Lynx, Jaguar, ST/STE/TT/Falcon) in their respective forums...

This is a first year run.... so next year will be bigger and better ;-)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree with Thomas - it is already a huge number of games to go through and vote on just for the 2600. Adding other systems is great, but I would greatly prefer to see them done at different times for different systems. That will give each included system and the corresponding games a little time in the spotlight of their own, too. The 2600 can be the Winter games, and e.g. the 7800 could be the Summer games, perhaps! :-D

• Like 2

I would much prefer to stick to 2600 only here. IMO that's complicated enough already.

Let the other systems organized their own awards if they like the idea!

Yep, i agree. Digging through all 2600 homebrews released in a year already takes quite some time.

IMO it would be best to keep these awards 2600 only and have separate awards for other systems.

I added this to my calendar on my web site at AVC Online and on Jaguar Community United yahoo group(since yahoo doesn't send out reminders much any more I included a mention in the newsletter I e-mail out each month)

On another subject but connected to 2018 Atari Awards: I've been thinking of either use either the nominations or wait for winners to be announced to be used in my Harmony Games HSC.
I mentioned this in the twitch stream during the nominations and posted a topic here under Atari 2600 http://atariage.com/forums/topic/287656-2019-harmony-games-question/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

YES! Active Shooter (Turmoil hack) by James Catalano “JamCat Reloaded” is nominated for Best Game Hack!!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/287473-best-game-hack-2018-atari-awards/

Amazed Active Shooter was selected compared to my other Turmoil hack variations which I thought were better in theme. Active Shooter was made when there were all those school shootings in the news.

ALIEN TURMOIL

post-50539-0-09086800-1550182883_thumb.png

AlienTurmoil.bin

ASTEROID BELT

post-50539-0-43192300-1550182893_thumb.png

AsteroidBelt.bin

BERZERK BLAST

post-50539-0-46364500-1550182909_thumb.png

BerzerkBlast.bin

HYPER JOUST

post-50539-0-35497800-1550182921_thumb.png

HyperJoust.bin

SUB STRIKE

post-50539-0-41879800-1550182940_thumb.png

SubStrike.bin

• Like 2

Amazed Active Shooter was selected compared to my other Turmoil hack variations which I thought were better in theme. Active Shooter was made when there were all those school shootings in the news.

That's what the nomination committee chose over the other ones. Congrats!

Current voting stats (I am not sure if I can see them when voting is closed, so I better checked them now):

1. Best Homebrew: 106
  2. Best WIP Homebrew: 102
  3. Best Packaging: 91
  4. Technical Achievement Award: 90
  5. Best Graphics: 85
  6. Best Programming: 74
  7. Best batari Basic (bB) Homebrew: 73
  8. Best Game Hack: 67
  9. Best Music & Sound: 67
  10. Best Demo: 47
Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

Last day already eh? How has the voting turn out been?

as of this very moment (with about 3 hrs and 40 mins to go) here's the total number of votes in each category:

Best Homebrew: 118
Best WIP Homebrew: 114
Best Packaging: 101
Technical Achievement Award: 100
Best Graphics: 100
Best Programming: 88
Best batari Basic (bB) Homebrew: 82
Best Game Hack: 76
Best Music & Sound: 79
Best Demo: 56
  • Like 1

put my votes in but haven't had time to play any of them so went from what I recall from the podcast.
after the winners are announced I will announce the harmony games HSC and which games will be used(incase of ties of each category, we will most likely use runner ups for each round)
would like to continue this format for future as well.

• Like 3

THE POLLS ARE CLOSED!!!

Thank you so much to everyone in the AtariAge community for participating in the 2018 Atari Awards! The final voting totals have been recorded as of 12:00:00AM PT February 19, 2019.

See everyone this Saturday, February 23, 2019, at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT for the LIVE award presentations on ZeroPage Homebrew's Twitch channel!

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Note: Although it appears you are still able to vote, due to polling software in place, no more votes past the cutoff date will be counted.

• Like 2

are you going to post the winners here too

2018 Atari Awards Category winners are:

• Like 2

2018 Atari Awards Category winners are:

I could have figured it now polls are closed, but thanks still: right now Mappy, space game and aardvark are slated for the 2019 Harmony games,miner hack can be added that as well. Will announce the games next month like before Harmony games ends on the day of VGS is (which is july 13th,2019)

• Like 3