IGNORED

White Water Madness

atari2600land

So I was looking through the Atari part list and wishing. I found White Water Madness, which I think I can do. I took a few hours and began work on this. I'm envisioning something like a cross between Toobin' and Atari's Street Racer. Anyway, I got the river part going. The river will get smaller as time goes on, so for now it's really wide. There will be rocks and logs to avoid and stuff to grab for extra points. This is what I have now.

wwm4.bin

• Like 3

Changed the beaver, fixed a bug about death, made the items more visible by changing the water color, and fixed a note in the title screen.

I love the animation of the boat rower! Nice changes - the beaver makes it a little more challenging. Can you have more than one item on the screen at a time?

I'd like to see this one finished one day. Good work Chris!

Heya atari2600land, great start to your game! I love the concept and the paddling animation. I made a quick video to show you my game play and I have some suggestions below!

- The pattern of the beaver is exactly the same every time, at least on the narrow parts, so once it comes on screen you're able to find a safe spot at the bottom and avoid it completely

- I would love to see splits in the river (like River Raid) or a winding/narrowing/widening river, this way I wouldn't be able to sit on the bottom and avoid nearly everything

- It would be awesome to have an enemy that homes in on you a little when it comes on the screen so you definitely have to keep moving around

- Maybe have items that have various speeds and more than one on the screen at a time so you have to avoid both slow ones and fast ones (you could avoid flickering by making sure they don't go into each other's paths, I'm pretty sure bB is able to do that?)

- Your character looks like they have quite a long neck, would it look better with a touch shorter one?

- Maybe a little animation of the paddle when the character is going backward?

Looking forward to playing future builds of the game!

Edited by cimmerian

Heya atari2600land, just a heads up that we'll be playing White Water Madness LIVE on this Friday's episode of ZeroPage Homebrew!!

Twitch LiveStream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Looking forward to playing it on the show on Friday, hope you can tune in! The stream will start at 2PM PT/5PM ET.

post-37205-0-90767300-1532459172_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Now that RT has helped me with the part I was having trouble with, I felt the need to post more updates in this thread. So now I have five levels in the game. Level 1 is the Mississippi River, Level 2 is the Missouri River, Level 3 is the Nile River, Level 4 is Battle Creek and Level 5 is the Styx River. At the end of Level 4, the guy falls off the kayak and goes down level 5 for infinity because I haven't put an ending for Level 5 in yet. I'm thinking of adding more harder levels after level 5. Level 6 will be the Amazon River, where the natives try to pelt you with poison arrows, etc.

wwm17.bin

• Like 2

The cycle counter went all the way down to 64 in the previous version. Now the lowest number it reaches is in the 300's. This unfortunately does not solve the problem. I just thought it would be better to free up as many cycles as I can. I was using the program using "set debug cyclescore" and the problem happened when I had about 1700 cycles free, and apparently for no reason. And yes, I'm sure I saved it to the right folder in my computer this time.

wwm19.zip

• Like 1

Just glancing over it, the last version I saw had one pfhline, but this new version has three. Is there a time when you are trying to use pfhline too many times during one loop?

This new version also uses pfclear more often which can eat up cycles if you don't have drawscreen after it. It may not have anything to do with your current problem, but you might want to look at this anyway:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#asm_clear_playfield_variables

I let it run through a few times and nothing so far. The only problem at the moment is that it goes over 262 when leaving the title screen. You might need to place a drawscreen in the setup code at the spot that is eating up so much time.

I think I fixed the scan line problem.

Right now, at the title screen, you can set the bw/color switch to b&w to start at level 5 (the one that has been giving me problems.) This will be removed in the final version. If the switch is set to color, it will begin at the beginning. By the way, when the game is finished, you'll lose a life when hitting an object (other than the pretzel.)

wwm21.bin

• 2 weeks later...

Another problem I think I fixed about level 5. When you went back to the title screen, the title screen was out of place vertically due to level 5 scrolling. I thought I fixed it before but I didn't. Now I think however I fixed it. My original plan was have level 10 be level 5 but faster, but I don't know if Mr. Kayaker can go fast enough to maneuver through the holes. Perhaps I'll make him move faster than he already is now.

wwm23.bin