IGNORED

Anyone else enjoying Colecovision on the Mega Sg?

SegaSnatcher

And let me say one more thing, and this is totally my opinion of course. I hate the current trend of commoditization of games. I hate those FPGA players that just want to play and simulate everything. I think they make a disservice of promoting classic gaming the proper way. Video games are a product of technology, game designers had to create games based on the technology available to them. To put everything under the same umbrella with total disregard to contextualization, proper control method, etc, is just wrong. Very convenient and inexpensive maybe, but still a disservice to what retro gaming means. I for one do not support those multi system players and never will. I don’t want to play a nes game followed by a snes game running from a generic box using a generic controller. In fact if I wanted I have a Mac for that.

That is why o hope, and again this is just my opinion, that the Phoenix sticks to one or just a couple of systems. It is better to do something very well than to do many things poorly. Remember that “casual” players don’t stick with you, they move easily to the “next big thing”. My two cents. Of course others may have very different opinions, that is fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would play homebrew games on Mega SG than the original games released between 1982-1988 because you need to use keypad to start to play.

Edited: good thing, this topic is cleaned up. It was a mess.

The mega sg has a way to access the keypad but it uses button combos. There's no reason they couldn't map keypad buttons to genesis controller buttons. That could make games like spy hunter and mousetrap playable. And the sega master system does have a trackball should they want to implement it. If it doesn't map all four super action buttons it should e.g. frontline. It's not clear if the support for original colecovision controllers is a physical limitation or something that's just not implemented.

That is what I mean, just don't support this CV core. It has a very suspicious origin and can only damage ongoing projects from people that have been truly supporting the ColecoVision community for years. If you want to play CV cartridges, get a Phoenix. It has a licensed SGM.

Nothing wrong with asking for people's support but what's wrong with the origin of the mega sg colecovision core? Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I would play homebrew games on Mega SG than the original games released between 1982-1988 because you need to use keypad to start to play.

Edited: good thing, this topic is cleaned up. It was a mess.

Mega Sg has the keypad configured via different combinations on a 6 button controller. You can play all the original games no problem.

As a casual (at best) Coleco fan, you will get a casual (at best) support and attention for your Coleco needs from a readily-available product that does many things, but that being a ColecoVision isn’t the primary focus (not even close). If that is what you are paying for, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work for you.

Multi-purpose devices have had a long history of giving you a bunch of functions in one device, but none of them great.

Having worked in IT for 20+ years I remember when the first all-in-ones came out (printer/fax/scanner) and they did their jobs for the most part (not much to a FAX, really) but you didn't get the best print jobs, the fastest print jobs, the highest resolution scans etc. etc. They have gotten better as the years have gone by, and I know a lot of people still swear by them, but none of them will give you the best of the best of the best like a dedicated, high end device will.

They're good, but not great. Same thing with these multi-play systems - they're good but often gimmicky (my Retron 5 is not even collecting dust on a shelf - its packed away in its box).

I consider myself a casual fan of everything, when it comes to gaming, but I still prefer a dedicated machine when it comes to playing most anything, as opposed to a multi-game machine.

Hence the reason I'm looking to move to a bigger house finally, just no more room. That, or hold an auction ;)

• Like 3

Well its a good thing Mega Sg is an example of a product that does many things very well and it will only get better with future firmware updates.

It would be cool if a future JB offered another core like 2600, but that is just me being greedy. Coleco was already a huge surprise for me and in its current state I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

FPGA systems make things so much easier when you want to play on an HDTV. No expensive mods or external scalers necessary. Basically just plug n play and you get a hight quality experience.

Speaking of which, anyone have some good Coleco game recommendations? Perhaps more of the underrated titles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well its a good thing Mega Sg is an example of a product that does many things very well and it will only get better with future firmware updates.

It would be cool if a future JB offered another core like 2600, but that is just me being greedy. Coleco was already a huge surprise for me and in its current state I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

FPGA systems make things so much easier when you want to play on an HDTV. No expensive mods or external scalers necessary. Basically just plug n play and you get a hight quality experience.

Speaking of which, anyone have some good Coleco game recommendations? Perhaps more of the underrated titles.

Gateway to Apshai. War Games. War Room.
  • Like 3

I don't know about you guys but I must say I prefer the SG-1000 port of Q*bert over the Colecovision for one major reason, controls. With SG-1000 you can just use diagonals on the D-Pad to jump to each box making things much easier.

Its too bad because the Colecovision port does look and sound better. If only someone were to make a hack of the Coleco port so you can just use diagonals.

I don't know about you guys but I must say I prefer the SG-1000 port of Q*bert over the Colecovision for one major reason, controls. With SG-1000 you can just use diagonals on the D-Pad to jump to each box making things much easier.

Its too bad because the Colecovision port does look and sound better. If only someone were to make a hack of the Coleco port so you can just use diagonals.

Once you play a few rounds you get used to the controls.

post-45248-0-44358900-1554411694.png

• Like 6

• 2 years later...
On 4/2/2019 at 5:51 PM, opcode said:

Funny, that sounds like something I heard today from someone else.... what a coincidence... All of this, this "jailbreak", this thread, all those incredible coincidences...

Reading this thread about the Mega SG and I saw you ported MSX games to coleco. Looking for what you created and I searched your profile and saw your website. The site appears to be either incomplete or broken.

Can you direct me to the correct info

Also what is the Opcode coleco upgrade for $90 that interests me but there is no info on it.

• 6 months later...
13 minutes ago, Yurkie said:

Could someone post the link for controller instructions for selecting game please? I have a Mega SG on the way and want to try CV emulation on it

You'll want to familiarize yourself with the jailbreak documentation from Github. Page 13 of this document is what you want for the controls. 

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Mega-Sg-Jailbreak/blob/master/documentation/Mega_Sg_Unofficial_Jailbreak_Supplement_JBv7.5.pdf

That's under "documentation" of this page. 

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Mega-Sg-Jailbreak

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yurkie said:

Could someone post the link for controller instructions for selecting game please? I have a Mega SG on the way and want to try CV emulation on it

While I highly recommend reading the jailbreak manual that Flojo linked you to, the start and mode buttons will take care of things for you on a Genesis 6 button controller. Start is mapped to keypad #1 and will start a single player game at the default/easy difficulty. And mode is mapped to keypad #3 and will start a single player game at the highest difficulty in most instances.

It's unfortunate having to lose a few classics like Mouse Trap if you weed out the games that aren't Genesis controller friendly like I've done with my rom folder on my Mega Sg, but most of what you're likely interested in should prove to be very Genesis controller friendly. And many of the freely distributed homebrew roms like Opcode's magnificent Pac-Man Collection and Space Invaders work beautifully here as well (Although I recommend putting something like "X to insert credit" in the file name of those two so that you'll remember what button to press). 

I've been on a H.E.R.O. kick lately on my Mega Sg. The Colecovision port is my favorite version of the game and it plays like a dream on the Mega Sg with a M30 2.4g gamepad from 8BitDo. Very nice core that seems to be extremely accurate, has no tv compatibility issues, features full 1080p video output, etc. It even has an option to hide the borders that were hidden in the overscan area of a CRT and the Mega Sg's pixel blending option to combat dithering works well with certain games. Very nice system that the classic gaming community should and has embraced with open arms, with a great bonus with Colecovision support (Which seems to be present here due to the similarity with the SG-1000 core).

I do wish someone would make Colecovision and Colecovision Flashback controller adapters for this so that more of the library would be accessible. While Slither and Turbo have nice controller hacks that play great on the Mega Sg, the keypad shortcuts simply make some other games that rely on the standard controller unplayable.

For example, the button combo for the #9 key on the Colecovision controller's keypad is mapped to Y + Z + Down on a Genesis controller (So any game that uses that key during gameplay would be more of a pain to play than entertaining). Seems like it would be trivial for the right mind in the classic gaming community to make an adapter to interface an original controller with the Mega Sg, that can interpret that keypad press and send a signal that the Mega Sg sees as a Genesis controller pressing Y + Z + Down simultaneously.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine has been setup since I got it shortly after launch, but after looking at the menus, I think I can help you. The first two steps are just included for the sake of giving complete instructions in case it helps someone else down the road, since you've already done those steps.

• Copy your desired bios file to your Mega Sg's SD card, locating it in the BIOS folder.
    • If you just stuck the bios file on a blank SD card, you'll want to remove your memory card and stick it back in your PC, and move your bios file into the appropriate bios folder that the Mega Sg made when it read the SD card for the first time.
  • Fire up the Colecovision core.
  • Press the Genesis start button to bring up the Mega Sg's menu.
  • Select 'Core Options'.
  • Choose the "select new BIOS file" option.
  • Select your desired Colecovision bios. 
  • Hit the B button to back out to the main menu (i.e., the screen where you selected 'Core Options').
  • Navigate down to Save/Clear settings and save your changes.

And if someone else reads this and wants to instead use a PAL bios file, be sure to also change your region while running the Colecovision core by going to 'System' > 'Hardware' > PAL regions (The default is set to USA).

Edited by Atariboy

On 7/30/2022 at 10:44 AM, Yurkie said:

Could someone please help me get the ColecoVision core running. I get the "can't find bios!" messsage even though I have a coleco Bios in the BIOS f folder.

This is the site the BIOS is from. https://cvaddict.com/article.php?articleid=26

I am using the short delay

Have you selected it in the Core Options menu as described on page 15 of this? 

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Mega-Sg-Jailbreak/blob/master/documentation/Mega_Sg_Unofficial_Jailbreak_Supplement_JBv7.5.pdf

5 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I believe so. Could someone post or message me a Colecovision bios that they are using on their Mega sg.