IGNORED

40 column routine or early version of XB24 for XB

hloberg

I was going through WHTECH a little while back and came across what looked like and early version of XB25, 24 (?) that had a lot of the subroutines that are in XB 25 but you didn't have the rom or grom but was in disk form. One subroutine was a 40 column text that I want to use. I just went back and I can't seem find it anymore (did I imagine it?). anyway, anyone know of a good 40 column routine for XB or know what the file that I might have found?

note: I did find XB24 for Geneve but that won't work in XB.

In RXB 2012 you could switch to text mode with CALL POKER(7,244,1,240) - reversed with CALL POKER(0,0).

Two disk packages spring to mind for 40 column Extended Basic with CALL LINK versions of the graphics commands to use in text (40 column) mode---

Oak Tree Systems Display Enhancement Package or

Paragon Computings Enhanced Display Package

(Note how close those names are!)

Paragon's version also gives you access to read and write to vdp and change the vdp registers as well as adding 40 column mode and improvements and 40 column equivalents to the various graphic commands.

I have the Paragon disk online for emulators, and will be adding documentation in the next week or so.

s

• Like 1

In RXB 2012 you could switch to text mode with CALL POKER(7,244,1,240) - reversed with CALL POKER(0,0).

Two disk packages spring to mind for 40 column Extended Basic with CALL LINK versions of the graphics commands to use in text (40 column) mode---

Paragon's version also gives you access to read and write to vdp and change the vdp registers as well as adding 40 column mode and improvements and 40 column equivalents to the various graphic commands.

I have the Paragon disk online for emulators, and will be adding documentation in the next week or so.

s

RXB 2019 now has CALL VDPSTACK(address) so this makes using Text Mode in XB a little more easy to do as you can move the VDP STACK out of way.

There is still issues with some XB routines as they use some buffers in VDP where TEXT mode resides:

[0209]               ***********************************************************
[0210]               *    VDP addresses
[0211] 02E2          NLNADD EQU  >02E2             New LiNe ADDress
[0212] 02FE          ENDSCR EQU  >02FE             END of SCReen address
[0213] 0371          LODFLG EQU  >0371             Auto-boot needed flag
[0214] 0372          START  EQU  >0372             Line to start execution at
[0215] 0376          SYMBOL EQU  >0376             Saved symbol table pointer
[0216] 0382          SPGMPT EQU  >0382             Saved PGMPTR for continue
[0217] 0384          SBUFLV EQU  >0384             Saved BUFLEV for contiue
[0218] 0386          SEXTRM EQU  >0386             Saved EXTRAM for continue
[0219]               * SAVEVP EQU  >0388           Saved VSPRT for continue
[0220]               * ERRLN  EQU  >038A           On-error line pointer
[0221] 038C          BUFSRT EQU  >038C             Edit recall start addr (VARW)
[0222] 038E          BUFEND EQU  >038E             Edit recall end addr (VARA)
[0223] 0392          TABSAV EQU  >0392             Saved main symbol table ponte
[0224] 0396          SLSUBP EQU  >0396             Saved LSUBP for continue
[0225] 0398          SFLAG  EQU  >0398             Saved on-warning/break bits
[0226] 039A          SSTEMP EQU  >039A             To save subprogram program ta
[0227] 039C          SSTMP2 EQU  >039C             Same as above. Used in SUBPRO
[0228]               * RXB PATCH CODE * MOVED TO >03B8 SIZXPT (Size ACCEPT AT)
[0229]               * MRGPAB EQU  >039E             MERGEd temporary for pab pt
[0230] 039E          PMEM   EQU  >039E             UPPER 24K MEMORY
[0231] 03B8          MRGPAB EQU  >03B8             MERGEd temporary for pab ptr
[0232]               *----------------------------------------------------------
[0233]               * Added 6/8/81 for NOPSCAN feature
[0234] 03B7          PSCFG  EQU  >03B7
[0235]               *----------------------------------------------------------
[0236]               * RXB PATCH CODE SWAP CONFLG & >35D7 FOR CONSOLE MENU FLAG
[0237]               *    Flag 0:  99/4  console, 5/29/81
[0238]               *         1:  99/4A console
[0239] 03BB          CONFLG EQU  >03BB
[0240]               *----------------------------------------------------------
[0241]               * Temporary
[0242] 0374          NOTONE EQU  >0374             NO-TONE for SIZE in ACCEPT us
[0243]               *                              in FLMGRS (4 bytes used)
[0244] 0388          SAVEVP EQU  >0388
[0245] 038A          ERRLN  EQU  >038A
[0246] 03AC          ACCVRW EQU  >03AC             Temoporary used in ERRZZ, als
[0247]               *                              used in FLMGRS
[0248] 03B0          VALIDP EQU  >03B0             Use as two values passing fro
[0249] 03B2          VALIDL EQU  >03B2             VALIDATE code to READL1
[0250] 03BC          OLDTOP EQU  >03BC             Temporary used in ERRZZ, also
[0251] 0820          CRNBUF EQU  >0820             CRuNch BUFfer address
[0252] 08BE          CRNEND EQU  >08BE             CRuNch buffer END
[0253] 08C0          RECBUF EQU  >08C0             Edit RECall BUFfer
[0254] 0958          VRAMVS EQU  >0958             Default base of value stack
[0255] 0390          CNSTMP EQU  >0390             Use as temporary stored place
[0256] 03C0          VROAZ  EQU  >03C0             Temporary VDP Roll Out Are
[0257]               ***********************************************************
Edited by RXB

Depending on your requirements, you might give The Missing Link a try. TML uses bit mapped mode and on the same screen you can have:

8x8 characters, 6x8 characters, 5x7 characters, 4x6 characters or you can make custom character sets from 1x1 to 8x12.

One limitation is that you cannot scroll.

I have no idea if this program will help you, but check out the file 40COLMN.ARK. You should be able to find it in the sitelist of files on whtech, or do a search for the file on my BBS (9640News.ddns.net:9640). I did a file search for "40 column", and had a hit. It was listed as an XB program, 5K in size archived.

Hopefully, it will help you out.

Beery

thanks, all good suggestions.

I thought of TML but since I know I have seen a 40 column routine out there somewhere TML was my fall back.

found the 40colmn.ark on whtech, it's under the geneve section. might work?

s

found the oaktree under PC99...vendors on whtech. doesn't look like there are any manuals so that might be an issue & may or may not be the display ench.

Edited by hloberg

question, any 40 column routine will eat into the VDP area. will it also eat into the XB variable/string area also? If I remember right the 40 column uses just a little more space than the 32.

edit: reading the column40 docs it looks like it cuts into the disk buffers a little but doesn't mention nothing else.

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 1

thanks. I'm holding RXB & TML back as options if I can't find the 40column utility I thought I had in some form in the past.

What I'm doing is just converting a BASIC program from an Atari 8-bit and formatting be easier if I could find a 40 column utility for the TI99.

I'll try the 40colmn.ark I found on whtech under Geneve section & see if that works.

Hopefully, it will work. I know when I searched for it on my BBS, it came up under a TI-99/4A group so the file (~6K) may be in either multiple locations or, worked for both platforms.

Beery

• Like 1

here it is. it is the one I remember, I think. it's just a 40 column routine. I made up the manual from the demo.

It's a XB load file. only takes a couple seconds to load.

Here are the commands:

CALL LINK("FORTY") - start 40 column
CALL LINK("CLS") - 40 column call clear
CALL LINK("DISPL",X,Y,"DISPLAY STRING") - 40 column 'display at'
CALL LINK("INPUT",X,Y,INPUTSTRING$) - 40 column 'accept at'
CALL LOAD(12350,16*(FOREGROUND-1)+(BACKGROUND-1))::CALL LINK(FORTY") - change fore and background colors in 40 column
CALL LINK("BSCRN") - back to graphics mode

there is another 2 disk 40 column with a lot more features, I'll look in to it later but it's more than I need for now.

40 column manual.txt

40COLMN.txt

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 3

How did this code not appear more widely? I like to know sources so...

check out:

COMPUTER BRIDGE (Volume 3, Number 12, December 1984) Page 2 (User group magazine from St Louis)

Also published in "Dr Tamashiro's TI Travels 1984-1988" which is quite a treasure house of code.

s

• Like 2

check out:

COMPUTER BRIDGE (Volume 3, Number 12, December 1984) Page 2 (User group magazine from St Louis)

Also published in "Dr Tamashiro's TI Travels 1984-1988" which is quite a treasure house of code.

do we have something like Atarimania for the TI99, an organized and noted database of software & books. WHTECH is fine but it's hard to find anything, and a there are a lot of other resources spread all over the internet.

Edited by hloberg

I think you will find that this is unstable. By having the screen start at V0000 you will overwrite VDP starting at V0370 and that area is reserved for XB use. I have a better solution for you and should be able to post it tonight.

OK, since you bought it up & I'm still learning the TI99 after being away from it for many years; briefly what is @ V0370 and what are you doing to fix it. Are you moving XB pointers or the screen pointers or am I completely off course?

OK, since you bought it up & I'm still learning the TI99 after being away from it for many years; briefly what is @ V0370 and what are you doing to fix it. Are you moving XB pointers or the screen pointers or am I completely off course?

Briefly and simply - 0370 is a memory address in hex notation and the V stands for VDP RAM, which is the internal console ram. It differs from CPU RAM (mostly external) and GRAM (mostly in modules).

Recommend you read from top to bottom of the READ THIS FIRST thread

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/267055-new-to-the-group-ti-994a-faq-hardware-and-software-resources-read-first/

There are a lot of links to Manuals and other media goodies on the forum at:

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/567/entry-12507-strips-cards-manuals-labels-3d-objects-more-updated-03262019/

My personal list of useful websites would be:

a href="http://ftp.whtech.com/"is full of books, magazines, manuals, and programs (you have found this one!)

a href="http://www.hexbus.com/tibooks/" TI Books as PDF files (LOTS)

Ron Reuter's a href="http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/" Mainbytes

Thierry Nouspikel's a href="http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/titech.htm"Tech Pages</a>- serious stuff.

a href="https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Main_Page">Ninerpedia</a>is a principal resource for TI emulation with MAME, and also has lots of other info- registration is required to post, otherwise unrestricted.

a href="http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/index.php?pageid=155&pagina=database_ultimi&sezione=2#">ti99iuchas some clean documenation to download, some disks to download (for emulators) and lots of information- like how to get composite video from a PAL console- it is in Italian, but there are translation engines, and you will quickly learn the important words...

a href="http://tigameshelf.net/"TI Gameshelf is less taxing, a collection of games in bin format for Mess and other emulators, or the FG99 module, and some disk files for emulators. No registration required

a href="http://www.99er.net/" 99er.net is not an easy site to find things on but there is plenty there. I mean PLENTY. Make sure to use the section "TI99 Database".

oops- not forgetting my own little offering at

a href="http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/TI.htm"which has well over a hundred pages of TI information.

enjoy ;-)

• Like 1

There's a nice set called XXB that adds stable 40 column text (and some other routines) to Extended BASIC, I used it for a long time. Try here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258949-40-column-text-mode-in-extended-basic/?hl=%2Bxxb&do=findComment&comment=3630058

THATS IT! that was what I saw a while back that looked like XB26 with 40 column.

repost:

XXB-Display-Utils-TRAVER.dsk

XXB-Ext-Ext-Basic-Barry-Traver.DSK

XXB-Ext-Ext-Basic-Barry-Traver.pdf

check out:

s

I don't think I have ever seen "Dr Tamashiro's TI Travels 1984-1988"

Is that a book, a pamphlet, or a series of articles in some newsletters?

• Like 1

CALL LINK("TEXT") puts you into text mode. Warning: text mode is an area in which the Extended BASIC programmer must walk with care. Two things to remember: (1) You must use CALL LINK("GRAPH") or its equivalent in order to return safely to graphics mode; and (2) any kind of error in text mode can throw you into never-never land!

Many CALLs accessed while in text mode create a screen "glitch;" so CALL LINK ("KEYR";RESPONSE$) is provided to avoid that problem. (One limitation that comes with working with text mode from Extended BASIC is that apparently all CALLs to user-defined subprograms will cause such glitches.)

Doesn't sound all that stable to me. Just be patient a little longer. What I will post does not have any of these problems. It will be ready tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 1

CALL LINK("TEXT") puts you into text mode. Warning: text mode is an area in which the Extended BASIC programmer must walk with care. Two things to remember: (1) You must use CALL LINK("GRAPH") or its equivalent in order to return safely to graphics mode; and (2) any kind of error in text mode can throw you into never-never land!

Many CALLs accessed while in text mode create a screen "glitch;" so CALL LINK ("KEYR";RESPONSE$) is provided to avoid that problem. (One limitation that comes with working with text mode from Extended BASIC is that apparently all CALLs to user-defined subprograms will cause such glitches.)

Doesn't sound all that stable to me. Just be patient a little longer. What I will post does not have any of these problems. It will be ready tonight or tomorrow.

very cool. thanks.

XB was never ever designed to deal with Text Mode, on the other hand video upgrade chips 9938 and 9958 are very much compatable.

The extra VDP RAM made switching to 256 colors per pixel very easy to do from XB with CALL LINKs, but could have been done from XB GPL.

I have constantly complained we need a 1 Meg VDP Hardware like the TIM card.

A TIM card like version would allow normal XB and change all commands increased by a factor of 4.

I would increase 24x32 to 96X128, characters, and colors would increase from 16 to 256, additionally we could add a real mouse interface.

This would make Text mode look crappy in comparison as you can do graphics and text more than 80 character lines.

(128 characters s longer then 80 character lines and you have borders on both sides also 96 rows is better then 40)

A bonus is the character buffer for edited lines would be increased from tokenized 152 bytes to 256 bytes, text would be 512 byte lines.

(Tokenized lines are what are saved to disk, text is untokenized so we can read it.)

Edited by RXB
  • Like 2

XB was never ever designed to deal with Text Mode,..

that has always been my biggest complaint with TIXB. The TI was the only computer (that I'm aware of) that the majority of it's video capabilities were not accessible from it's advanced BASIC. which leads me to a question, if TI, when the memory expansion was attached, had moved all the tables to the main memory out of the VDP, would that have worked? that way all the VDP could been used for graphics. I know now that would cause a lot of compatibility issues but if it been done form the getgo would it worked?

as for the tables cutting into the main programming area, it wouldn't been any different than the other computers of the era.

• Like 1

It's late and so I will just post this and let you read the docs. Have fun.

Here is a demo for T80XB. The utilities are virtually the same, except for 40 columns instead of 80.

gallery_34177_1071_33847.gif

thanks! looks great. can't wait to try it'll out. make the Atari conversions a lot easier.