IGNORED

Seeed Packets - Hurrah, it must be Spring.

CharlesMouse

Good Luck. I'd go for the easiest one which is probably the AY_Sound, but most interested in the 80 column board.

As always thanks for the encouragement. :-)

As it happens it's the 80 column board I'm most interested in too... I think I've got all the parts knocking about, if I can remember where I stashed that serial IC. Visiting family next few days so hopefully some news some time this weekend.

Um, NIAD. As is typical for me I just jumped in without much planning. I made 'my' 80 column board, assuming it works, to be compatible with the MIB2 in the hopes I wouldn't have to worry about drivers. Do you have any advice for setting up 80 column mode in CP/M or TDOS?

I have a T-DOS drivers disk for the MIB2 by Micro Innovations. Aside from that, I never used this expansion board and, hate to admit it, am lacking in knowledge re T-DOS and CP/M... I know the basics, but never really delved too much into these alternate OSes for the ADAM.

As long as your board is compatible with the MIB2, the T-DOS install program should provide all the necessary setup options. It will probably be best to discuss matters with AtariAge member MilliV (William Hicks on the Coleco ADAM Facebook page). Try sending him a PM here.

On the EOS side, there aren't many programs setup to access the Serial Ports. Two that come to mind are ADAMLink V by Tom Clary/Rich Drushel and SmartBASIC 1.x Rev. 20 by Rich Drushel. There were a few others on the EOS side like SwiftBASIC 80, but they were setup for use with the EVE and Orphanware 80 Column Units.

Micro Innovations M.I.B. 2 T-DOS Utilities (199x) (Micro Innovations).dsk

ADAMLink V (1992) (Tom Clary Software - Rich Drushel Software).dsk

SmartBASIC 1.x Rev-20 (1991) (Rich Drushel Software).dsk

SmartBASIC v1.x (3rd Edition) - Manual.pdf

One again many thanks.

It occurred to me that given how uncommon 80 column cards seem to be any support might be more of the 'hacky' variety than 'it's properly supported and obvious'. It would be typical of me, having gone to the trouble of making this darn thing, if I couldn't get it to work because I didn't understand the software rather than it being non-functional. Of the boards I've made this is indeed the one I'm most keen to see working:

-A more comfortable joypad will be nice

-More RAM is good, I guess, but unless CP/M TDOS on the ADAM actually uses it what purpose does it serve beyond my having fun making it?

-I'm keen to see that AY board working.

But

-I know bog-all about CP/M but am interested in finding out and an ADAM with an 80 column output would be ideal, especially as I understand TDOS is a better CP/M.

Yes, if anyone else wants to weigh-in I'd be grateful.

So the joypad will be for ColecoVision?

Oh-yes! icon_biggrin.gif

As it happens, with tact-switches and 3D printer on hand, that's the PCB I attacked with a soldering iron first. It should be 100% Colecovision and ADAM compatible, including "P" and "B" button support. I've already made one but it's frustratingly untested as I'm away from home at the mo' and I couldn't find a suitable spare Atari-type cable in my spares pile to solder in... a job when I get back.

Of course as there's a commercial version I won't be making any myself. But the plans are/will be available for any DIY'ers out there.

Issues with current design

-Having gotten the PCB's I had to rework the 3D model a bit to make for a less frustrating build - I'll upload that to Thingyverse in a bit

-My own manufactured PCBs don't have "P" and "B" support as I wasn't aware of that option before I sent the designs to Seeed - the published version on Thingyverse is updated

-3D Prints aren't ever as good as injection-moulded plastics but a decent level of finish is achievable

Mockup:

399976408b629228bfdcc4acb3b678d6_preview

...as I'm lucky enough to have an ADAM I've gone for a beige case rather than black.

Edited by CharlesMouse

Oh-yes! icon_biggrin.gif

As it happens, with tact-switches and 3D printer on hand, that's the PCB I attacked with a soldering iron first. It should be 100% Colecovision and ADAM compatible, including "P" and "B" button support. I've already made one but it's frustratingly untested as I'm away from home at the mo' and I couldn't find a suitable spare Atari-type cable in my spares pile to solder in... a job when I get back.

Of course as there's a commercial version I won't be making any myself. But the plans are/will be available for any DIY'ers out there.

Issues with current design

-Having gotten the PCB's I had to rework the 3D model a bit to make for a less frustrating build - I'll upload that to Thingyverse in a bit

-My own manufactured PCBs don't have "P" and "B" support as I wasn't aware of that option before I sent the designs to Seeed - the published version on Thingyverse is updated

-3D Prints aren't ever as good as injection-moulded plastics but a decent level of finish is achievable

Mockup:

399976408b629228bfdcc4acb3b678d6_preview

...as I'm lucky enough to have an ADAM I've gone for a beige case rather than black.

There's a "commercial version"? What...? :?

Could you please bring me up to speed on the history of this project? It's news to me. :)

Here you go:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/289767-announcing-the-super-game-controller-for-the-colecovision/

...assuming my little projects ever actually work they aren't a patch on the effort required to bring something like this to a saleable product. Kudos to the creators and I sincerely hope they get lots of orders. Also, of course, my sincere thanks for your own many productions over the years.

Edited by CharlesMouse

Here you go:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/289767-announcing-the-super-game-controller-for-the-colecovision/

...assuming my little projects ever actually work they aren't a patch on the effort required to bring something like this to a saleable product. Kudos to the creators and I sincerely hope they get lots of orders. Also, of course, my sincere thanks for your own many productions over the years.

Oh! Okay, I thought this was a PCB for another joypad project. I was thinking that Eduardo wouldn't like to have a competitor for his upcoming product. :P

Ahh,

I'm a great believer in supporting those who go to the trouble of bringing out new products for retro systems. If someone has put the effort in to making a commercial product be appreciative and try not to step on their toes.

For those like me who simply enjoy making doo-dads, but aren't interested in going the commercial route, I think it's a good thing to share.

If I might make a cheeky request?

Should you ever run out of ideas for new products I'd snatch your arm off for a good port of Laser Squad on the Coleco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_Squad

...by far and away my favourite 8bit game. I guess a Colecovision version would need the extra memory of a SGM while I would expect it would run very well on a standard ADAM. Better still, if a port was based off the ZX Spectrum code base (preferably with much better GFX & sound) there's fair few add-on missions to download...

...oo, oo, and a level editor!

Sorry, I'll stop whittering now.

Edited by CharlesMouse