IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I had a weird dream that I walked into the GameStop and the clerk showed me something I've never seen before, nor do I think it exists.

A handheld Neo Geo system with a huge 6 or 7 inch screen. It had a catchy name, like Nomad, but catchier but I can't think of what it was. The price tag on it was $179. I said "Man.. if I were more of a collector, I would so buy that. But I only have $100 on me right now." half expecting them to bargain with me. I came home to check the forums and you guys said it was worth $70 at the most (!!!) but woke up before I could go back and look at it some more.

It was during their last week of selling classic games. I was gathering up manuals for NES games right and left. It was an odd dream. (Especially since I was collecting manuals and not games for some reason.) And if it were real, I so would want that Neo Geo system. Plus, it came in its own carrying case. That's why I didn't spot it at first.

Weird dream.

Weird weird dream.

Ever have dreams so good that you get depressed when you wake up and find out they weren't real?

Hey your dream can actually become a reality. Some of the Gamestops at the malls are carrying Neo Geo Pockets systems for $70.00 and are selling 4-packs of games for $40.00 They are tough to find though. One thing too, these are brand new. So far I have only seen one and my friend bought it. He had just bought one the day before but somewhere else used. I ended up getting the used one for Christmas from him. Just ask the geeks at the counter if they have any.

I actually found something! Something great! I went into a little thrift shop in a hole in the wall strip mall, and the first thing I noticed was the Rastan arcade game against the wall. I poked around, and then I spotted it. My brain just wasn't registering it, because I never seem to find anything in thrift stores. I picked it up and looked at it - it was a GCE Vectrex! No controller, coated with a thick layer of filth, and the reset knob is missing. But the little old lady plugged it in for me, and it worked! And best of all, she only charged me $5 for it! How sweet is that? They didn't have any games or controllers or anything, but who cares? I can take a shot at rewiring a Sega gamepad. And i've got my copy of Protector/Y.A.S.I. that I ordered while waiting for the Vectrex I ordered from Rob Mitchell to arrive (that still hasn't :sad: ).

I asked about the Rastan arcade game, and the little old lady's son came out of the back and told me that the previous owner said that the motherboard was good, but there was a bad connection to the monitor or something. He only wanted $50 for it! But I told him i'd have to think about it. I used to really like that game, but I don't know if I have the skill to restore it to it's former glory.

Playstation games:

Blaster Master: Blasting Again

Cyberspeed (Big Box)

Gran Turismo

Incredible Crisis

Irritating Stick

Loaded (Big Box)

Magic Carpet (Big Box)

Magic Carpet

Need for Speed: High Stakes

Pandemonium

Rascal

Return Fire (Big Box)

Roswell Conspiracies

Street Fighter: The Movie (Big Box)

The Amazing Virtual Sea Monkies

Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider II

Tomb Raider III

Twisted Metal (Big Box)

Twisted Metal 4

Dreamcast games:

Kiss: Psycho Circus

About $80-90 total. $60 was on a Gift Card at Game Stop. The rest from the EBGames in the Mall.

I went through a few stores really quickly today. Didn't find much. A couple of Atari CX-40 joysticks and a Suncom Slik Stik. Also a Sears Video Arcade II joystick with the stick broken down to a nub. $1.99 each. Also a copy of South Park for N64 ($7) and a strange little device that I can't figure out what it's for. It looks like a small black keyboard with GLK-6102 above the keys. Under a flap there's a cartridge port with the label "Please turn power off before inserting the cassette". On the back is an RF jack, an audio and video jack, two 9-pin sockets marked "Joy1 (mouse)" and "Joy2", along with a DC power socket. But there's no information on the back that tells me what kind of power it needs. It has a sticker that says it was made sometime in either 2001 or 2002, though. And it's made in China. Anyone seen something like this?

It looks like a small black keyboard with GLK-6102 above the keys. Under a flap there's a cartridge port with the label "Please turn power off before inserting the cassette". On the back is an RF jack, an audio and video jack, two 9-pin sockets marked "Joy1 (mouse)" and "Joy2", along with a DC power socket. But there's no information on the back that tells me what kind of power it needs. It has a sticker that says it was made sometime in either 2001 or 2002, though. And it's made in China. Anyone seen something like this?

It sounds like a Famiclone to me.

I checked the cartridge port against an NES cart, and they were different sizes. The cartridge port looks Sega Genesis sized.

I'll try to take a picture of it. I only have an old Apple Quicktake 100, and I have to find the cables, hook it up to my old Powerbook 180c (since it still has the old style serial ports), hook up the Powerbook to a Zip Drive, take the info off a USB Zip on my new machine, then resize and post (which i've never done before). This might take me a while. If I can even find all the cables.

I checked the cartridge port against an NES cart, and they were different sizes. The cartridge port looks Sega Genesis sized.  

I'll try to take a picture of it. I only have an old Apple Quicktake 100, and I have to find the cables, hook it up to my old Powerbook 180c (since it still has the old style serial ports), hook up the Powerbook to a Zip Drive, take the info off a USB Zip on my new machine, then resize and post (which i've never done before). This might take me a while. If I can even find all the cables.

Wow.. that's quite a lot to go through for a 640x480 sized image.

Hurry up!!!! ;)

Just count yourself lucky that Mail actually works for you. I gave up on the Panther version of Mail and went to using Netscape's mail program. Netscape tells me instantly when mail shows up.  

Man, this Powerbook is so slow.......

Paint it black. Black makes it go faster! ;)

I've got about a dozen 12-packs of Pepsi Blue right now. There's a grocery close-out store that ended up buying up all of Pepsi's stock. I also bought some Mountain Dew Livewire there. I'm actually not drinking them right now. I think I might have a kidney infection, so i'm cutting out all sodas. Just water, tea, and cranberry juice.

I just looked up the store's web page. Maybe there's a location near you. http://www.groceryoutlets.com/

DAMN. If I lived near you, I would SO buy that off you. Me needs LIVEWIRE!! Damn PepsiCo got me addicted then pulled it away. They dangled the carrot.

Summer 2003 Only.. NOO.. I WANT IT NOW!!!

I've never heard of that store. Probably because I'm in PA. They are not. :(

Missed on a boxed heavy sixer with about 6 boxed common games, but I picked up a nice Coleco Gemini system with power supply, original joysticks, and 5 common carts + a handful of manuals for ten bucks at a thrift store near me.

I was waiting for the VCS to get to half price, but apparently someone bought it the night prior at the full asking price of $40.00.. now who in Milwaukee would pay $40 for a complete boxed but moldy untested heavy sixer? :roll: (To be honest, it WAS a nice setup but I passed on it two nights ago because of the mold and because I didn't have $40 burning a hole in my pocket. :)

I think I'm going to have to leave a card in these boxed systems I inspect.. "This game system was rejected as TOO EXPENSIVE by RPMXXIPT.. enjoy your purchase!"

$40 btw.. sheesh.. I think the thrifts are getting wise to Dustin's eBay sales.

rpm